xisto Community
GM-University

Firewall Tester Test your ports, etc...

Firewall Tester By http://www.hackerwatch.com/ here's the link... http://www.hackerwatch.org/

I was playing around with McAfee Firewall today, and found this link to a site where you can "test your ports", run a "simple probe", run a "TCP/UDP port scan", or run an "advanced port Scan". I got good results on all of the test ran, all of my ports are "Stealthed" invisible. Here are my port scan results.

Secure21 (FTP)

This port is completely invisible to the outside world.

Secure
23 (Telnet)

Secure
25 (SMTP Mail Server Port)

Secure
79 (Finger)

Secure
80 (HTTP)

Secure
110 (POP3 Mail Server Port)

Secure
139 (Net BIOS)

Secure
143 (IMAP)

Secure
443 (HTTPS)

Here were my TCP/UDP port scan results

Conclusion: Healthy Setup! We could detect no interesting responses from any of the commonly probed TCP and UDP ports. It would be difficult for an attacker to know where to start without further information.

Here are my simple probe results

.....In any case, your computer is secure.

And here are my results for the advanced port scan.

21   stealthed     FTP     File Transfer Protocol is used to transfer files between computers   23   stealthed     TELNET     Telnet is used to remotely create a shell (dos prompt)
  80   stealthed     HTTP     HTTP web services publish web pages
  135   stealthed     RPC     Remote Procedure Call (RPC) is used in client/server applications based on MS Windows operating systems
  137   stealthed     NETBIOS Name Service     NetBios is used to share files through your Network Neighborhood
  138   stealthed     NETBIOS Datagram Service     NetBios is used to share files through your Network Neighborhood
  139   stealthed     NETBIOS Session Service     NetBios is used to share files through your Network Neighborhood
  1080   stealthed     SOCKS PROXY     Socks Proxy is an internet proxy service
  1243   stealthed     SubSeven     SubSeven is one of the most widespread trojans
  3128   stealthed     Masters Paradise and RingZero     Trojan horses
  12345   stealthed     NetBus     NetBus is one of the most widespread trojans
  12348   stealthed     BioNet     BioNet is one of the most widespread trojan
  27374   stealthed     SubSeven     SubSeven is one of the most widespread trojans
  31337   stealthed     Back Orifice     Back Orifice is one of the most widespread trojans

Recommendation:

All the ports we have scanned are Stealthed (by a firewall). So just continue following the fundamental security measures and regularly update your security software.

Hope you like it, post some of your results, and if you don't have a firewall I suggest you try this out and see how bad it is not to have one, if you don't want to spend the money, try the 90 day free trial that hooked me on McAfee Firewall.

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
Removed your personal ID from the link.

Edited by BuffaloHELP (see edit history)

Neither I. I cant find any tester in there. I think that it is probabaly because I am using AVG antivirus.Hey man, do I need to instal and start using McAfee antivirus before the port tester can work on my system? I would really like to test and see how secure my firewall is.Who knows, I may need to secure it even the more. But that will be until I test and see how secure it is.Thanks for the link anyways.

This is pretty interesting. I never really thought of actually testing my firewall, maybe that's why I've been getting so much spyware.Does anyone here recommend any free firewalls that would actually be better than say, Norton Internet Security firewalls? I still manage to get spyware and stuff through my Norton and it's starting to get annoying. The latest spyware/malicious software I have is something that doesn't allow me to access anything to do with microsoft. So I can't get onto MSN messenger, the microsoft site or hotmail or anything like that. I've read that lots of people have been having the same problems but I havn't as yet been able to find a solution. Does anybody here perhaps know how to fix it or perhaps what spyware is causing the problem? If I connect to the web immediatly as I bootup it's fine but if I leave it for a while and then only connect I usually land up having to reboot the computer first.

If you want to scan your own ports, there is the quite well known Shields Up! (I think the URL is supposed to look that way) tester. It's an old one, but still good.

From the same site you can also try LeakTest, a little app you can download which will attempt to sneak data through your firewall. LeakTest is also quite old, and I think there are better leak testers out there, but I am afraid I can't remember the names.

If you can't open the site it's not because of your firewall, it's because of your connection or something like that. But I can tell you that the windows firewall does okay on the Shields Up! test (i think), but miserably fails the LeakTest.

If you are looking for a free firewall, you should use Zone Alarm Free Version. It is quite reputable and reliable. Although it maybe not be as good and cannot rival paid version like McAfee Firewall and Zone Alarm Professional, it surely does better than having no protection for your system at all. Really, we should all play our part to keep our computers safe...so viruses/(malicous prgrams/hackers) don't get in...and get out...I use Zone Alarm and I find it really great. It hasn't failed me so far. I really urge all those people here, reading this post to get yourself a firewall, at least for some basic protection, which as always said, is better than none.-Shackman