xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
mahesh2k

Will The Browser Takeover The Desktop?

Yes,It's time to think about this issue now.We download sidebars,News & weather tickers on our desktop.We watch Movie
on Media player by small task bar fit window (feature included from Windows Media Player 9 & 10).
We use search engine tool on desktop to enter our search term within the tool & get search results below the frame.

People who work on computer interfaces think that the web browser interface is providing easier and more initiative than
the famous desktop interfaces (Folder,Menus,Lots of double clicking).if thats so they reasoned,then perhaps the computer
desktop should look like a web site,and you should be able to browse it by clicking on hyperlinks.Also maybe it shouldn't
make difference if you're looking at your local disks or a remote web site.

Though there is much development into Internet technology but the rate for Internet access are still high in many
countries.So people using operating systems without Internet that have such on line goodies will get Question mark signs
on their desktop,this will be annoying.So during installation user must get option of to have system on line or not.E.g.
Simplymepis 3.3 have Kweather tool that prompts every time you log on,shows question mark if you can't connect to
Internet (Best of all you can't remove this tool).

Many Desktop Ticker tools from leading OS developers are as follows:-
Mac OS X (Tiger) :Dashboard
Windows Longhorn :Sidebar
Linux:Kweather & News tickers

You can access many such Free desktop dazzling tools from site http://www.aquaxp.com/

Web development program Like Macro media's Flash if integrated into the Operating system's User interface then the
possibilities are endless.You can see most of the Web Site effects are now offered by such apps but if operating system able to do much animation then you will see your desktop much like browser.

If Functionality of Remote assistance is used for FTP, then FTP would be like looking at users desktop including wallpaper on
desktop.Tools like Hyper terminal,Telnet will became more powerful and destructive too.
Ticker Forums,BBS or IRC would be interesting to see on desktop that new post will scroll Transparently on screen.

Discussion not ends here,Functionality that is being offered by Operating systems that it allows accessing your workspace
through Internet (Remote desktop Connection),Making it possible to overlay web tops on top of your operating system's
desktop,whether it be windows,Mac OS or Linux.
Let me tell what are your views on this.Reply to post.

Yes,It's time to think about this issue now.We download sidebars,News & weather tickers on our desktop.We watch Movie

on Media player by small task bar fit window (feature included from Windows Media Player 9 & 10).

We use search engine tool on desktop to enter our search term within the tool & get search results below the frame.

People who work on computer interfaces think that the web browser interface is providing easier and more initiative than

the famous desktop interfaces (Folder,Menus,Lots of double clicking).if thats so they reasoned,then perhaps the computer

desktop should look like a web site,and you should be able to browse it by clicking on hyperlinks.Also maybe it shouldn't

make difference if you're looking at your local disks or a remote web site.

Though there is much development into Internet technology but the rate for Internet access are still high in many

countries.So people using operating systems without Internet that have such on line goodies will get Question mark signs

on their desktop,this will be annoying.So during installation user must get option of to have system on line or not.E.g.

Simplymepis 3.3 have Kweather tool that prompts every time you log on,shows question mark if you can't connect to

Internet (Best of all you can't remove this tool).

Many Desktop Ticker tools from leading OS developers are as follows:-

Mac OS X (Tiger) :Dashboard

Windows Longhorn :Sidebar

Linux:Kweather & News tickers

You can access many such Free desktop dazzling tools from site http://www.aquaxp.com/

Web development program Like Macro media's Flash if integrated into the Operating system's User interface then the

possibilities are endless.You can see most of the Web Site effects are now offered by such apps but if operating system able to do much animation then you will see your desktop much like browser.

If Functionality of Remote assistance is used for FTP, then FTP would be like looking at users desktop including wallpaper on

desktop.Tools like Hyper terminal,Telnet will became more powerful and destructive too.

Ticker Forums,BBS or IRC would be interesting to see on desktop that new post will scroll Transparently on screen.

Discussion not ends here,Functionality that is being offered by Operating systems that it allows accessing your workspace

through Internet (Remote desktop Connection),Making it possible to overlay web tops on top of your operating system's

desktop,whether it be windows,Mac OS or Linux.

Let me tell what are your views on this.Reply to post.

153713[/snapback]

I think not all functions from the browser can be found or put into your desktop, there are codes or functions that don't works under desktop, if you notice entering the secured website, like goverment website, website supported by java application, and many more...

those function that can be found in your desktop is maybe just a shortcut that links to some site but still used and calling your browser to load up the whole thing....

You cannot set your desktop as your default browser, can you? see in some other way desktop and browser works the same but not totally the same, just work the same only.

In my opinion browser still be powerful to browse the web, desktop is be part of it and in your computer but for me there is no possibilities to replaced the browser with the old desktop...

:rolleyes:

Could we have a correction here? Windows XP desktop IS a browser... it has explorer.exe intergrated into the core. As for the double clicking part, there is folder options if you havn't seen it yet which allows you to click only once. But I would for one never use explorer.exe as my GUI, so I installed BBlean...and I love it!