xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
varunone

Better Use Of G-mail What more can we do with G-mail ?

I was just sitting and staring at the enormous 2GB of space G-mail is giving us. Every second the space is increasing, as can be seen on their web site's home page. I know there are shell's available that allow G-mail t be used for file storage. But is there a way we can use G-mail for hosting or something. So much of space going to waste. IF we could use even a fraction of it for hosting ... it will be of great help. Say what ? Cheers.

well, gmail is supposed to be for emails anyway, the reason why there is "mail" in "gMAIL"... but i see your point. perhaps google web hosting is in the drawing board. but even if it says 2GB is allotted for each gmail user anyway, i think mail hosting with google is not strictly 2GB per se physically (or virtually, whatever :D)... gmail inboxes would be invariably flexible to accommodate up to how much email space each user needs, to a maximum of 2GB when needed.using gmail for web hosting is perhaps out of the question since user authentication is needed whenever emails/files are accessed within. as it is, gmail can be used for file storage with the understanding it is not public, and can be accessed only by user (or users) which is/are properly authenticated. skirting user authentication (and using gmail for hosting) will be difficult, if not improbable.

Agreed. Using an email based system for primary hosting is not legible. However, if Google were to enable an open access function on the settings to allow other users or guest to retrieve selected data, then it would be a good idea.If Google were to start their own hosting (free or paid) the chances are that many other hosting companies would take them to court. For having such a footing in the Internet business. People are already getting peeved that Google is opening up it's services especially with the GMail. MSN (hotmail) are particularly annoyed.It would be a generally good idea for the whole file hosting and permissions thing, but the security of it falls dramatically.

May be we can have some system... like a program running on our computer that doubles as a web server and transfers the files between Gmail n our web site visitor.I know its pointless cause then we can host the damn server on our comp itself. But if its a php kind of a system then we can have it run on another server.Its like this...Gmail -------> PHP Program -------> End User (person who visits <------ running on a <------- our web site) web serverThis way since the intermidiate server will be only a program running some where we can have 2gb storage of gmail at our hands to exploit.I know it might be a dunb idea since the intermidiate server will still requre to be of high bandwidth but we get a good 2gb of space out of it.Hot any type of file u like ... plus easy uploading of files ... email em :-DCheers