xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
hulunes

Chinese Festival Today dragon boat festival

yeah,today is the traditional festival in China,dragon boat festival.the day happens on May 5th in lunar calendar every year.chinese people will celebrate this day by racing boat called dragon boat.generally speaking,the festival is for monumentalizing a great poet named QuYuan who is the people's hero for freedom in ancientry China....by the way,i can describe more detail.QuYuan was obliged to drop a river,suicide.then people invented a kind of food called Zongzi and throw lot to the river to keep from the fish eating his body.so till now,already formed a tradional custom,which is eating Zongzi to remember QuYuan,racing dragon boat is another activity to remeber him as well.what i refered above,Zongzi :D a delicious food made up rice ,beef and chinese date(a kind of little sweet fruit).maybe abroad,in your nation,Zongzi exits made by chinese there. :D sharing the chinese joy to you...celebrate

Wishing all the Chinese members a very happy holiday!!! :D Festivals are God's gifts holidays to man.. will you accept that? hehe.. yes after a hard life's work which is endless holidays bring comfort and even competitors are also taking rest on these days, so one can spend the days peacefully and relax about where they wish to. I always welcome Holidays to come. Chinese have so much associate themselves with DRAGON, I would like to know from where this tradition of identifying themselves with Dragon stems and comes about!! It would be interesting to know about this.Have a lots of Zongzi and enjoy!

Chinese have so much associate themselves with DRAGON, I would like to know from where this tradition of identifying themselves with Dragon stems and comes about!! It would be interesting to know about this.

:D ,welcome to be interested in dragon about China.
well,dragon is the symbol of China from of old.about 2300 B.C,people began to abore dragon a divine and omnipotent animal,then the chinese first dynasty founded and dragon became the symbol of emperor...go round to later,till now,to future as well.

Best wishes for Chinese people in the forum! :D You have a very interesting culture... and Zgongzi sounds delicious... I want Zongzi :DBut about that story, why was the hero obligued to suicide?

Best wishes for Chinese people in the forum!  :D

You have a very interesting culture... and Zgongzi sounds delicious... I want Zongzi  :D

But about that story, why was the hero obligued to suicide?

150081[/snapback]

ya,just you want to know the stroy details.

umm,about Quyuan who i refered above and concerned to the festival was a great political master...

The story of this colorful summer festival concerns a famous Chinese scholar-statesman named Chu Yuan, who some three centuries before the birth of Christ, served the King of Chu during the Warring States period. As a loyal minister, Chu Yuan at first enjoyed the full confidence and respect of his sovereign. Eventually, through the intrigues of his rivals, he was discredited and found himself in disfavor. During that time, he composed his immortal poem, "Encountering Sorrow", an allegorical description of his search for a prince who would listen to good counsel in government. Chu Yuan was never able to regain the emperor's favor and on the fifth day of the fifth moon in the year 295 B.C., at the age of 37, Chu Yuan clasped a stone to his chest and plunged into the Milo River in the Hunan Province. Legend has it that local fishermen raced out in their boats to save him but failed. To protect his body, they beat drums in their boats and furiously hit the water with their paddles. They also threw rice dumplings wrapped in silk into the river as a sacrifice to his spirit. His death was and is commemerated by the Chinese each year, on the fifth day of the fifth lunar month, with the Tuen Ng (Dragon Boat) Festival. This was then developed more into the Dragon Boats we see nowadays.

Happy Dragon Boat Festival!

Just to tell you guys a little more. Zhong Zi is also called rice dumplings in English. No does it sound familiar? It is a pyramid shaped and is made of rice. The rice are wrapped in leaves.

Inside the rice dumplings, there are usually fillings. Traditionally, meat or vegetables were put inside. But now, different sorts of things are put inside, such as sugar paste. Sometime, the rice dumpling itself is coloured!

More info here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zongzi

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

-Shackman

yeah,thx ,shackman you warmful to offer some many detail about zongzi really delicious on appearence in the list picture.

welcome to taste that kind of food,... :P