xisto Community
kahat

Wireless Network Security

Anyway, wireless lans, the signals can be easily tapped into and encryption at a high encryption setting, it can take quite a while to for decryption. There for , it will slow down the network speed.

Wired networks are the best, provided your wires don't get compromised too...

155834[/snapback]

Wireless LAN signals can ALWAYS be tapped, but if the network is encrypted, the received tapped material is a bunch of trash! You can't do anything with it!

As I said before, switch to WPA if you are having second thoughts about WEP. WPA cannot be cracked yet.

WiFi encryption systems are INTEGRATED in WiFi equipment, it does not use any system resources. In fact, it shouldn't cause any slowdowns at all! Unfortunately, some manufacturers didn't implement this technology very well, and that's the reason why some cheap equipment causes the network bandwidth to be 2%-5% slower than usual when encryption is on.

I still say CDs are the best method of transferring information...

He wants to share his internet connection, I don't think running around with CDs from one computer to the other will aid him very well :rolleyes: .

PS: You can always enable MAC address filtering, but if your network is unencrypted, an attacker can use a network sniffer to discover a mac address in the data that is sent over a network, and then change his mac address to be the same as the one that he discovered. By doing that, he can gain access to your network.

Again: Use encryption!

Oh, and hiding the SSID can cause allot of compatibility problems, because some devices require a SSID to connect to a wireless network. Besides, Air Snort can detect it anyway. If your network is secure, you've got nothing to worry about.

Wireless snifferWireless Network Security

I have a question asking for helpIs there any specific configuration I need to do in my PC to allow wireless network sniffing.I have 2 PC on my table one a Compact Presario and the other Fujitsu Lifebook S Series.The Fujitsu run XP professional 2002 service PAC 3 and the Compaq running XP home addition 2002 service PAC 3.I am using an MSN sniffer which works perfectly great on the Compaq PC, but show only my local MSN on the Fujitsu one.

My question is what should I change in my Fujitsu wireless or security configuration to be able to monitor my network from the Fujitsu PC[/font]

I was told by my isp provider that simply hooking up my ethernet cable tothe computer disables the wireless access,although I encrypted it too.Once these pirates get a holdof your signal they can eat up bandwidth like nothing. As a hobby I messed around with wire sniffing software before.It's easy enough to be patient to obtain the packets,but after that comes thehard part.Deciphering the code isn't easy.