xisto Community
Joannespw

Should Religion Be Updated? debate modern religion today (poll)

Is church religion outdated?  

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Religion is outdated, it hasn;t developed as society did. women can't be priests in nearly every christian religion and definitely cannot be a part of the higher church echelon. confoms sexuality, marrige. On all of these topics the church and christianity seems to be out of date with normal world opinions. in my view the chuirch needs a haulover. One thing is strange thought... numbers of members of protestant churches have been on the increase in the states and more young people are getting married! ca it be that society has become so fragmented that people cannot deal with thier own individuaity anymore and have to resort to moralism and the church... to find an opinion for themselves. I do not understand this trend.

Religion is outdated, it hasn;t developed as society did. women can't be priests in nearly every christian religion and definitely cannot be a part of the higher church echelon. confoms sexuality, marrige. On all of these topics the church and christianity seems to be out of date with normal world opinions. in my view the chuirch needs a haulover.

One thing is strange thought... numbers of members of protestant churches have been on the increase in the states and more young people are getting married! ca it be that society has become so fragmented that people cannot deal with thier own individuaity anymore and have to resort to moralism and the church... to find an opinion for themselves. I do not understand this trend.

149367[/snapback]

I agree with you that religion is outdated, but I dont think it needs to be updated. I am now living in an Asian city where over 90% of the population has no religion. People here live a fruitful and meaningful life without the burden of religion. People are really much more open minded without religion. I think it is sad that some people simply cannot live without other people telling them what to do with their lives. One of the commonest misunderstandings is that the ancient people had wisdom. But I think the only place you can find wisdom is in science, the only field where knowledge can accumulate to become wisdom.

Modern people (probably except the Americans) have much boarder exposure in a globalized world and I dont think those crappy ancient texts can ever tell us anything about how to deal with modern lives. My comment is: Dont bother with updating religion. Scrap it.

Religion is most definately not outdated! In all of the communities I've lived in, Religion has played a key part. Whether it's Judaism, Christianity, or Islam, they've all been a huge part in shaping our societies as they are. Why ditch religion when we've traveled so far with it? When I'm feeling down and out, I go to God for help. Knowing that he's there helps me through my problems. Go ahead, say that I'm using a figment of imagination to help me through my problems, but I believe He's real. Woman can't be priests in most religiouns, and that's a bad thing for them, but they should've been raised knowing the fact that they can't be one, hence they shouldn't make a big deal about it.

I am agnostic, as I can see arguements for and against the existance of an all powerfull being of some sort, but I do not think religion needs a huge overhaul. There are some things that maybe could be changed and modernised, but nothing drastic needs to happen.

Woman can't be priests in most religiouns, and that's a bad thing for them, but they should've been raised knowing the fact that they can't be one, hence they shouldn't make a big deal about it.

Is it not the basis of numerous religions that people of all ages, genders and backgrounds should be treated equally? With a homosexual bishop in Britain, it is high time that women were allowed to become priests.

How can religion be outdated?That's what's an individual thinks and what that individual thinks is what he/she believes in...So, it's still down to individual perspective...

I agree totaly with you Joannespw, religion is outdated , and for its own sake if not anything else, it must be updated. Ok I'm first to say I'm not exactly the most relligious guy on the planet, and am in fact fundamentally opposed to ALL organised religion ( but thats not the point here). I personally find it hard to take a moral lesson from any organisation that so clearly descriminates against woman. I definatly do not want to offend anyone with this following statement. (Please read that last sentance at least five times). In my oppinion it is the Catholic Church who are worst for this, I mean they actually told Africans dying of AIDS that condoms ,the undisbuted best way of stopping HIV spreading(I dont care what counters you may have to that, I am viewing it personally as a fact), helped to spread HIV, now I definately find taking any for of morality lesson from an organisation which would openly oppose something that could save at least thousands of Africans. If I have offended any Catholics (or indeed any religion) I can only apoligise if my oppinions offend you.

Religion is outdated, it hasn;t developed as society did. women can't be priests in nearly every christian religion and definitely cannot be a part of the higher church echelon. confoms sexuality, marrige. On all of these topics the church and christianity seems to be out of date with normal world opinions. in my view the chuirch needs a haulover.

149367[/snapback]

Religion is the practice of belief, worship, and traditons. You are right, there are a lot of religions that will not allow a female priest, but this is not all relidions. Since religion is mostly based on traditions, it may take time before women are fully allowed to be priests. In the U.S., there has never been a women president before, should we abandon the democratic system or just wait until the day a women is finally made a president? Likewise, should we abandon religion because of its traditional beliefs, or wait to let it take its course?

Its true that women are allowed to be priests in some religions (e.g. anglican church), but they are still not allowed to be bishops. The fact that there has been no female president in the US should only be of a minor consequence to this debate. organised religion in the way we are talking about it should not have anything to do with politics. However I do get your point that traditional values need to shift since it is traditionaly been men who have been religious leaders. In think this really has to come down to people's preceptions and how much change they are willing to accept. I hope that they will be able to accept more. It still seems to me that religion is outdated and needs updating, if only because it already functions as thje guideing spirit of so many people. Maybe if religion changes it can bring about that great change in societies that it has done so in the past. Just like a civilisations need to innovate and reinvent itself to stay alive i believe a religion should adjust itself to the needs of its followers and not the other way around.

...traditional values need to shift since it is traditionaly been men who have been religious leaders. In think this really has to come down to people's preceptions and how much change they are willing to accept. I hope that they will be able to accept more.

149651[/snapback]

I strongly believe that politics such as the presidency and religion are similar for this debate. If you would replace "religious" with "political" in your quote you have the reason as to why we have never had a female president before. Hopefully, it will be accepted in the near future. The foundation of both religion and politics does not change a whole lot because people are not willing to accept change of the basis of which they were formed.

I still stongly believe that religion will change. Yes, it may be more slower moving than civilization in general, but it is my belief that religion will change to gain more followers and to reach out to more people.

I strongly believe that politics such as the presidency and religion are similar for this debate. If you would replace "religious" with "political" in your quote you have the reason as to why we have never had a female president before. Hopefully, it will be accepted in the near future. The foundation of both religion and politics does not change a whole lot because people are not willing to accept change of the basis of which they were formed.

I still stongly believe that religion will change. Yes, it may be more slower moving than civilization in general, but it is my belief that religion will change to gain more followers and to reach out to more people.

149774[/snapback]

I so agree that you are right - in the arguementational sense only. and I feel you do have a valid point. however the reason why I say it would be better to take the societal perspective and leave out the political one (and again i think it is a valid point you are making) is because organised religion has its own politics ad does generally not bend to political leaders.

I also am of this opinion because I thinkw e should stick to societies views rather than political views. Even though the analoy with the us president is correct, I would leave it out because it opens up with discusion to politics and religion.

Religion is the practice of belief, worship, and traditons. You are right, there are a lot of religions that will not allow a female priest, but this is not all relidions. Since religion is mostly based on traditions, it may take time before women are fully allowed to be priests. In the U.S., there has never been a women president before, should we abandon the democratic system or just wait until the day a women is finally made a president? Likewise, should we abandon religion because of its traditional beliefs, or wait to let it take its course?

149528[/snapback]

A religion is simply a way of life, the 1st Ammendment is supposed to PROTECT religion so anyone can follow whichever religion they choose, including a religion which believes in nothing. The way in which you live your life is a religion, Evolution (falsely so called, really macroevolution which is unproveable) is also a religion.

There are plenty of mass-murderers out there who don't believe in God. Likewise there have been those (Crusades, Inquisition, Conquistadors) who falsely claim to be Christian but don't follow the teachings of the Bible.

Like the Pharisees, we can judge/sentence/punish according to the Law only if we ourselves are sinless. As Christ said, there is none good but one, God. (Mk. 10:18) Vengeance is God's alone. (Ro. 12:19) The world is worthy of death and guilty before God. (Ro. 3:19, 6:23) It is no longer "an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth." (Mt. 5:38-39) Being in authority can subject us to even greater condemnation, we are still accountable to God. (Jas. 3:1) Love is the fulfilling of the Law because it does no harm to others. (Ro. 13:10)

True Christianity is not about a set of beliefs or doctrines or claiming some institution as your own. As James 3:19-20 says, simple knowledge/faith in one God is not enough to save, and without works is dead. (Note that this isn't the faith spoken of by Paul in Ro. 10:8-10 and Eph. 2:8-10)

There is no me-you problem or problem between me-others or you-others. All eternity focuses on our relationships with only one person-Jesus Christ. Christianity is about getting in a right relationship with God through Christ and His finished work on the cross.

In short, Christianity is simply about a person and our relationship with Him-Jesus Christ. He is the way to eternal life and escape from the eternal punishment we deserve. It's knowledge of the love for us which brought Him to die such a horrible death that can break through to the most hardened hearts, so that they confess their sins to Him and trust only in Him for all eternity.

Christianity is not about becoming a good moral person, or getting some set of blessings in your life, it is simply about escaping the wrath to come for our rebellion against God through His finished payment on the cross. God is both perfectly loving and perfectly just, He cannot overlook sin.

The true story is often presented as an example of this, in California several years ago a judge found a girl guilty of speeding and fined her 100 dollars, but then, ironically being her loving father, came down and paid the fine in her behalf. God being perfectly just must exact a sentence, but being perfectly loving has done all He can to pay the penalty for our sins if we'll only accept it.

T100 seems to place a high value on science or knowledge, but not all knowledge = truth. You can be ever learning yet never coming to the knowledge of the truth. The ancient peoples he speaks of surely include the Greeks, who Paul spent so much time debating with, "opening and alleging" (Acts 17:3) with as a lawyer would present a case.

Some people seem to have this idea that blind faith is involved, but as Ravi Zecharias likes to say, God doesn't ask to commit intellectual suicide. Some intellectuals who were the most fervent in setting out to disprove the Bible have become of its greatest supporters, like C.S. Lewis and Josh McDowell.

Furthermore, the Bible plainly calls here those who genuinely question the Scriptures "noble" so long as they do so "with all readiness of mind."

Acts 17:11 These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.

well, i think the next president of the U.S.A will be a woman, hehe, but your arguement is a fair one. i dont think that anything that was settled upon 2000 years ago should be changed now, if so, start a different religion, get the point?

This is an interesting way to phrase it. My view on religion is so complicated that I'm not even sure where to start. So... let me start with the question of a deity (God). I was once a Christian, when I was young and didn't think for my self. But once I felt independent enough to question my religion, I realized that I didn't need to fear questioning it. Perhaps this is why religions "disallow" questioning, because it led me to believe that if God is as good as he is supposed to be, then he wouldn't have reason to punish me to questioning his existence and the reality of the Christian religion. And if He was not good enough to understand, then it wouldn't be worth worshiping Him. Inevitably, my conclusion was that there I would not believe in God until I had reason. That was about 12 years ago, and I'm still atheist.Since then I have studied history, evolution, and philosophy, which have been a useful tool in understanding the development of religion. As it turns out, religion is a tool for societies to keep people cooperating by allying them through a common belief as well as a common threat that they have to strive to evade. A little thought is all that one needs to realize this. Abraham, for example, used the Bible (Old Testament) to keep his people in harmony. The thing is, that once there are too many people in a group, they lose social solidarity and begin to war. But a productive society requires more people. So to keep a large society intact, rule and guidelines are required. Hence the birth of the various religions across the societies of the world.Conclusively, I say that religion does need a change. However, by that I mean that religion needs to no longer be religion, but instead needs to be a system of morals and values that more objectively achieves the goal of religion. Human kind needs to not depend on fear or dependency of a supernatural being. Rather, I believe that instead of religion, people need to understand the reality of the human soul, such as Plato describes it in The Republic. Then, societies will be able to live in harmony with themselves as well as with others, because their understanding of the reality of human life would not be dependent of the supernatural explanations of current religions that are dependent of improvable truths.

This is an interesting way to phrase it. My view on religion is so complicated that I'm not even sure where to start. So... let me start with the question of a deity (God). I was once a Christian, when I was young and didn't think for my self. But once I felt independent enough to question my religion, I realized that I didn't need to fear questioning it. Perhaps this is why religions "disallow" questioning, because it led me to believe that if God is as good as he is supposed to be, then he wouldn't have reason to punish me to questioning his existence and the reality of the Christian religion. And if He was not good enough to understand, then it wouldn't be worth worshiping Him. Inevitably, my conclusion was that there I would not believe in God until I had reason. That was about 12 years ago, and I'm still atheist.

Since then I have studied history, evolution, and philosophy, which have been a useful tool in understanding the development of religion. As it turns out, religion is a tool for societies to keep people cooperating by allying them through a common belief as well as a common threat that they have to strive to evade. A little thought is all that one needs to realize this. Abraham, for example, used the Bible (Old Testament) to keep his people in harmony. The thing is, that once there are too many people in a group, they lose social solidarity and begin to war. But a productive society requires more people. So to keep a large society intact, rule and guidelines are required. Hence the birth of the various religions across the societies of the world.

Conclusively, I say that religion does need a change. However, by that I mean that religion needs to no longer be religion, but instead needs to be a system of morals and values that more objectively achieves the goal of religion. Human kind needs to not depend on fear or dependency of a supernatural being. Rather, I believe that instead of religion, people need to understand the reality of the human soul, such as Plato describes it in The Republic. Then, societies will be able to live in harmony with themselves as well as with others, because their understanding of the reality of human life would not be dependent of the supernatural explanations of current religions that are dependent of improvable truths.

154365[/snapback]

We're not punished for questioning God's existence, we're punished for our sins and breaking of God's Law, just like a judge punishes a lawbreaker. We're all guilty before God as Romans 3:19 says, the whole world is guilty before Him. God cannot tolerate sin which is rebellion against Him, all that is good in the universe, and a very serious offense. Only one law needs to be broken once for you to be a lawbreaker. How many beers can you name? Now how many of the 10 commandments can you name? If you have ever told a lie, you are a liar. If you have ever stolen anything you are a thief. If you've ever lusted after a woman you're an adulterer. That makes you a lying, thieving, adulterous heart, which we're all guilty of. That's just 3 commandments, and I haven't even gotten into hating others which makes you a murderer. To top it all off it says that whoever breaks one commandment breaks them all (James 2:10), again, if you break the Law once you are a lawbreaker by definition. Long story short, we're all guilty of death, God doesn't send us to Hell for not believing in Him but for any sin since God cannot waffle on sin. You don't get kept out of Heaven for not listening but for your evil deeds, and need to be reconciled to God, justified the only way you can be, through Christ's finished work on the cross, trusting solely in Him. There is no other way.

2. As mentioned above, the Bible commends as noble those who genuinely question with an open mind the Scriptures in Acts 17:11.

3. As for Abraham, he left his country because God told him to not knowing where he'd be going. Left his comforts, his security, did all God commanded him to, and would've offered up his own son if necessary. He based battle strategies on what God told him to do, even if he didn't understand the logic behind such things. And before you question the scenario of Isaac, let me explain that it was God's way of showing how all mankind deserves death which can be exacted at any time by God. God's love however is symbolized in Him sending that lamb to die in Isaac's place, and God knowing He would save Isaac, Abraham's son there, knew it would mean Him giving up His own only begotten Son thousands of years later to die on a cross in not only Isaac's place, but all of mankind who will trust in Him.

4. Plato and the Greek society produced this saying which Paul quoted:

1 Corinthians 15:32 If after the manner of men I have fought with beasts at Ephesus, what advantageth it me, if the dead rise not? let us eat and drink; for to morrow we die.

My point is, the Greeks you think so highly of recognized that if there is no God and higher authority then there is no point to life but to "eat, drink, and be merry; for tomorrow we die." In other words, live life to the fullest, enjoy yourself as much as possible, and try to avoid thoughts of a meaningless existence. No need to worry about doing good or right, kill who you can kill if you can get away with it, steal from those you can steal from if you can get away with it, abuse those you can abuse if you can get away with it. Life means nothing and all would die and become nothing anyway, and there is no point to your life but to find what pleasures you can, correct? Isn't this how our world is living more and more? But the world is the province of Satan.

Two questions for you:

A) What is the purpose to your life?

:rolleyes: If God asks you in the final day why He should let you into His Heaven, what will you say?

religion can suck an egg its all myth and stories no hard evidence that these people exsisted so when im dead i will become one with the dirt