xisto Community
Dragonfly

How To Delete Windows Messenger? Help needed not to sign Automatically

I have both MSN messenger 7.0 which I downloaded and Windows Messenger which was automatically installed by the Operating System (Windows XP professional). I came to know that many times Windows messenger will log in automatically as soon as I switch on my system. In fact I made automatically sign in at MSN messenger which Windows messenger is also seeming to use. Since I don't want this thing to happen I try to delete the short cut in Program Files at C drive but I cannot delete. I just delete Start Menu Short Cut which doesn't help. Is there any way to completely delete or atleast disable Windows Messenger? Please help me. Note: I searched the forum and couldn't find any topics related to this, if it was posted before kindly link me. Thanks.

You can't actually delete Windows Messenger but in the registry, you can disable it from popping up all of the time and from using up the system tray.

I disabled it so long ago that I don't remember exactly how I did it.

Hope this helps, :P

vujsa

ADDED INFO HERE

[/hr]

I remember that I got the directions from an article (Windows Tip) in Maximum PC. I probably still have the issue arround here. I'll see if I can't dig it up and post the instructions.

vujsa

Edited by vujsa (see edit history)

Find C:\WINDOWS\inf (Sub C: for whatever drive letter your windows OS is on) and open sysoc.inf. You'll see a line that reads:msmsgs=msgrocm.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,hide,7Once you find it change it to this:msmsgs=msgrocm.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,7Windows Messenger will appear in Add or Remove Programs, then Add/Remove Windows Components, then, and you can remove it for goodIf you dont see the INF folder under C:windows its probably hidden then all you have to do is go up to Tools-> Folder Options-> click the view tab then down at the bottom click the radio button that says show hidden files and foldersHope that helps

Don't Remove the Windows Messenger. Many times due to server load MSN Messenger does not work ... But during this time Windows Messenger is able to get you logged on.May be this is because MSN Messenger also displays adverts and other zones. Takes up more bandwidth.Just Dissable the Messenger you are not using.Cheers

Don't Remove the Windows Messenger. Many times due to server load MSN Messenger does not work ... But during this time Windows Messenger is able to get you logged on.

May be this is because MSN Messenger also displays adverts and other zones. Takes up more bandwidth.

Just Dissable the Messenger you are not using.

Cheers

149038[/snapback]

I have the same problem too. I install messenger 7.0 but the other one was installed automatically by windows xp professional, I found it hard to remove because windows won't allow it. I try to remove the old one in the registry but still there.

Try to open Windows Messenger, go to settings, and disable auto-connect, and everything like that... I did it, and it (almost) never start... But sometimes it starts... dunno why.

Try to open Windows Messenger, go to settings, and disable auto-connect, and everything like that... I did it, and it (almost) never start... But sometimes it starts... dunno why.

149296[/snapback]

Agreed. Instead of removing the messenger all-together, I'd recommend taking your time and going through the options menu and finding out what features you like and dislike, and changing your settings accordingly. You never know when it'll come in handy. Personally, I use it instead of MSNM simply because it lacks all the "features" that are so annoying and useless in MSNM. I really don't need a "My Spaces" button, or a blog (I already use Google for that). And I really don't know why you'd need to inform everyone of what song you're currently playing. But then again, that's just me. I just want to communicate. That's it. Give me a text input/output box and a "send" button and I'm all set.

Plus, I don't know just how wise it would be to uninstall something like the Windows-Messenger. Wouldn't it be the equivalent of uninstalling Internet Explorer from Windows XP? Nothing but bugs. Granted, Windows Messenger probably won't crash the computer if you remove it, but most-likely it will probably remove some Windows XP feature that you might want to use later-on but are unavailable for use because it uses Windows Messenger to access them.

I have no evidence of the latter. Anyone care to elaborate on the consequences of uninstalling something like Windows Messenger from the computer?

Is there any way to completely delete or atleast disable Windows Messenger? Please help me.

148978[/snapback]

If your Windows XP has updated to at least SP1, you will find that under Start, you will find Set Program Access and Defaults. If you don't see that you can access it by going to Add Remove Program.

Posted Image

Click on Set Program Access and Defaults on the left hand side, and click on the down arrow button at the line of "Custom".

Select the messenger to be disabled and you should not see your Windows Messenger starting automatically.

well if anyone is still useing windows messenger i would highly recomend removing it, if its msn messenger then keep it. windows messenger has more holes in it then a submarine full of sailors.