xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
serverph

Free Tivo: Build A Better Dvr Out Of An Old Pc DVR=Digital Video Recorder

for the geeks in you -> make your own custom DVR box just with off-the-shelf software and components: more versatile, all-purpose, with easy remote-control interface, even programmable through the internet, and most especially, NO monthly fees! :D
http://makezine.com/2005/04/19/4th-annual-german-case-mo/

i think the tutorial from the site above is pretty straightforward even for non-geeks. :P

for the geeks in you -> make your own custom DVR box just with off-the-shelf software and components: more versatile, all-purpose, with easy remote-control interface, even programmable through the internet, and most especially, NO monthly fees! :D

http://makezine.com/2005/04/19/4th-annual-german-case-mo/

i think the tutorial from the site above is pretty straightforward even for non-geeks. :(

148804[/snapback]

:D wow...I read through the instructions...and I think I'd better take a few more comp classes before I think about attempting anything big with this project. Of course, me not being a gamer, and not needing anything with which to stream Mp3s, I'd only be installing a very bare bones version, so doing this woulndt be so hard. And to think...the approx. $300 USD that i'd spend on this project could more than cover the TiVo fees in just a short time!

Thanks serverph!

Another thing you can do is to purchase Windows XP Media Center Edition. It's a bit more expensive then XP Proffessional or Home and such, but I say its worth it. You can record tv, watch tv, watch movies, listen to internet radio, and CDs. It's basically a more advanced version of WMP. You even get a remote with it! :D