xisto Community
kahat

What Is The Best Web Site Developement Program What is the best web site developement program

Those who say Microsoft Frontpage... you must be kidding. The other possibility is that you have only used that program because it´s terrible compared to Macromedia Dreamweaver. Each one has his own taste but I think it´s universally known that Frontpage is not very good. The only reason to use it is that is very simmilar to Word (which is not a very good thing),

151878[/snapback]

I have to agree with everything Sprnknwn says.

it seems like no contest to me. from reading the article linked here

it seems clear that frontpage is not as versatile and compatible as Dreamweaver and even if you are just a beginner, you will run up against its wall of limitations pretty quickly.

if you want to start making nice professional looking pages quickly, you'll proly want to start with dreamweaver rather than frontpage. if you want very simple pages why not start hand coding?

I have both front page and macromedia dream weaver. Personally I think dream weaver is really confusing. Im sure I could learn it if I took the time but I have been using microsoft products for all my life. So there for I think it is a lot easier to learn frontpage becuase the layout is the same as word and all the basic microsoft programs. The same goes for macromedia and dreamweaver so it really depends on what you wanna use. There is problems with front page like the bad html coding. Yet for most people its really not a big deal and I think there is some reformating option now. The other big con about Frontpage was layers. But in the 2003 edition there is layers on Front page. In the end dreamweaver is probably better than frontpage. But its really not that big of a difference. I would just go with the one you know how to use. As for Adobe Golive I have never used it. Let me know if its any good.

Well, I'm a fan of coding my own websites, so, I'm not a real big fan of dreamweaver and whatnot. I do however use this program called W3E 2000. Basically, its got simple code already implemented into it which i dont really use, and then you can then type your code into the window, and click the preview tab! I much prefer this over saving a notepad document and clicking refresh in my browser so it works rather well for me!

I recommend Dreamweaver MX. I have it now and when I first started seriously web designing I had it. I has good features like completing tags, templates, and it even help you figure out what type of tag you are trying to open. It is very useful.

The best website devolopment program would have to be Notepad. With FrontPage, you don't learn anything at all. You can move things around and make crappy coding. I've personally never tried Dreamweaver, so I can't tell my opinion on that. I always use notepad when editing or creating a webpage/site. It helps you learn what language you're making your site in, which could eventually help you in the future, instead of learning nothing.Go notepad!

If you want to hand-write your site, fine. But not everyone has the time to write copious amounts of HTML. Anyway. Dreamweaver is definately the pick of the crop. If you want to hand-write. It's interface for doing that is simple enough. Provides highlighting, etc, for a lot of the major web-programming languages and what-not. More features than you could point a stick at.Like people have already said, take the time to learn how to use it and it's an incredible piece of software.

hm, if you want to learn html you could learn using notepad. When you progress a little bit you could start using frontpage. However you will find that table handling in frontpage isn't great and it doesn't move around easily and its not flexible enough to define properties of cells, tables and others. That's when you will start thinking if Dreamweaver will do the rest needful thing. Since Frontpage is found in Microsoft Windows Operating system it is there automatically if you installed Microsoft Office which is quite natural. Due its easily availability people usually catch up with Frontpage and know a bit about it. But Frontpage is very much inferior to Dreamweaver in my opinion.As an advance user of both Frontpage and Dreamweaver I should say Dreamweaver beats Frontpage in all respect. I wonder why most of the replies here are using Frontpage.

I see 3 big company making web site developement programs.  Macromeida has Dreamweaver MX,  Adobe offers Golive CS, and Microsoft provides Frontpage.  I'm just a newbie and have no idea which one I should learn.  Any suggestion? Many thanks.

148448[/snapback]

I havent used them, but from what I hear (apart from here :D ), Dreamweaver MX is the way to go. i don't know if the other IDE's handle PHP, so you may want to consider that in your decision. If you dont code PHP now, it is a definite possibility that you will consider it in the future.

I may be stating the obvious here, but don't overlook the free trials. GoLive and Dreamweaver are $400.00, while the price of Frontpage 2003 (the latest version that I can see) is just under $200.00. That's a lot of money for a hunch. So, do up the free trials first, making sure you have a list of all the features you need now (and possibly in the future) first, so you can try them out.

Another thing to watch for is how these programs handle code when in wysiwyg mode. For example, Visual Interdev completely mucks up code when you dragNdrop...

Personally, I use Notepad++, which is essentially notepad with syntax highlighting for a bunch of languages. Little overhead :)

Checking out W3E2000 now. :unsure:

Hope it helps a little.

I see 3 big company making web site developement programs.  Macromeida has Dreamweaver MX,  Adobe offers Golive CS, and Microsoft provides Frontpage.  I'm just a newbie and have no idea which one I should learn.  Any suggestion? Many thanks.

148448[/snapback]

Which one you should use depends on what you plan to design. If you are simply going to design a personal Web page, then Frontpage is by far the simplest to use.

However, if you plan on designing webpages commercially... then you should consider either Dreamweaver or Go-Live. My personal recommendations would be Dreamweaver. If you learn to use Dreamweaver well enough, and get a few websites developed to add to your portfoio... then you can pretty much find work anywere (assuming that you are creative and talented).

Dreamweaver is more widely used comercially than either of the other packages. Free templates are also widely available on the web so that you can practice and see how the professionals do it.

Having spent several years developing commercial webstes, I have used all three packages. After learning all three... I actually find Dreamweaver to be the easiest to use as well.

For begginers definetly Frontpage from Microsoft, I started with this program and made few sie in frames. For next level I would suggest Macromedia Dreamveawer, it has ton of function that I don't even know how to use them :D Bust last but not the least is TSW Webcoder, I use it all the time, I this like notepad but designed for begginers also, it know all of HTML and CSS commands. Don't know for others like PHP, cause I don't use them a lot. This program can be download for free: here.

Well, when I first decided to make a web page for my band I didnt even know what html was, or even if it existed I think. I had a demo version of dreamweaver and decided to play around with it a little bit, after a week or so I made a web page for my band, and it was so easy even though I didnt know what I was doing. A couple of months after I took a dreamweaver mx course and I learned html. The funny thing was that as soon as I learned html I realized that I didnt need dreamweaver, and besides since it writes the code for you I was sort of forgetting some things in html so I decided to leave it behind, especially when I discovered css. It is horrible with css, In design mode you cant really see the page you are making, besides since it writes the code for you, you kind of get used to it and forget the code.

The bottom line, or the point im trying to make is that you dont really need expensive programs to make web pages. The internet is free, all you have to do is look for the free stuff. To learn html I really recommend w3 schools it has an html editor for you to practice while you learn.

And instead of dreamweaver I would recommend Crimson Editor or the notepad. Which is great too.

Well all I have left to say is Buena Suerte Amigo.! :D

:D I would prefer Microsoft Publisher rather than Macromedia Dreamweaver MX, and Microsoft Frontpage, and alll of those dinky little other programs like notepad, CoffeeCup, W3E 2000, 1stPage 2000, Crimson Editor, TSW Webcoder, and the rest of those ones. None the less Microsoft Frontpage and Macromedia Dreamweaver are just as good, if they are not even better than Microsoft Publisher 2003, but the main downside about those two(2) programs is not how good you have to be to use them, instead it is the cost--two-hundred(200)-four-hundred(400) bucks just to get them, but Microsoft Publisher 2003 only costs $172.38-182.52 in the United States depending on where you live or where you buy it! :D It has all of the same features and functions as Frontpage. But you can also make cards of any sort,, certificates, banners, catalogs, signs, resumes, website e-mails(like the you would see from Yahoo! or Coke Music), and muchmuch more! :D I have already created a really cool website on it that is at least ten(10) pages long and it looks really neat. All I need to do now is put it up on the web!!

If you plan to design web sites you will come accross many different program and use all of them for something. I've been using photoshop, corel draw, dreamweaver, flash, hand-coding, and many other tools and techniques to create a web site. Lately I'm learning Mambo CMS inside out becouse I think it is so POWERFUL, and it is open source! If you want to make dynamic pages you should also learn some php and mysql.

Microsoft Front page is much easier to use, but if are good at website development, Dreamweaver is the better program because of its better handling with other addons :). The alternative is notepad but i dont like it because you dont get the visual view of the website unless you save it and open it up again :).