xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
mahesh2k

What Is Gopher And Telnet?

What is Gopher and Telnet?

There are vast developements happening in the fiesld of internet.All the latest developement is useful in progress of communication facilities.

There are two tools gopher and Telnet are being ignored nowadays,which was most wideley used tool of the internet.

Gopher

Gopher stands for"90 for".It is a menu based program that enables you to browse for information without having to know where the material is specifically located.

it lets you search list of resources and then helps send the material to you.

When you use gopher you cross the internet by moving deeper and deeper intpo the menu.Using the gopher you can access library catalogue,files,and other databases.s

Gopher essentially takes a request for information and then scans the net for it,so you don't have to.it works through menus instaed of typing in some long sequence of characters,you just have to move a cursor through mouse or keyboard of your choice and press enter.

To access gopher from the web key in gopher :// before the address in your web browser.For example to access Minnestoa university

Type: gopher://gopher.tc.umn.edu.70/

Telnet

Another way to access information is to log onto remote computer and use it.Telent provides that capability.

When you get connected your computer acts as if your keyboard is attatched to the remote computer.This means you can run program on the other side of the world.You might use telnet to look at the electronic card catalogue from the liabray of congress or the british liabary in london.

Your Windows XP Operating system have Hyper terminal that you can use to connect to other computers, Telnet sites, bulletin board systems (BBSs), online services, and host computers, using either your modem or a null modem cable.

If you want to browse through Telnet or Bulletin borads,or Newsgroups and Listserve groups you can use Hyper terminal.Though these tools are history but they are still valuable source of information.

How to use Hyper terminal Tutorial will be posted soon.Till then ..Enjoy Trapezoids..

It's been a while since I last used either Gopher and/or Telnet on a regular basis. I used to use both quite a lot when I dropped by the computer science club for a couple of hours at the university.

yeah those are like ancient history but a good way for beginner programmers to program internet games. well maybe 20 years ago.

What is Gopher and Telnet?

There are vast developements happening in the fiesld of internet.All the latest developement is useful in progress of communication facilities.

There are two tools gopher and Telnet are being ignored nowadays,which was most wideley used tool of the internet.

it lets you search list of resources and then helps send the material to you.

When you use gopher you cross the internet by moving deeper and deeper intpo the menu.Using the gopher you can access library catalogue,files,and other databases.s

Gopher essentially takes a request for information and then scans the net for it,so you don't have to.it works through menus instaed of typing in some long sequence of characters,you just have to move a cursor through mouse or keyboard of your choice and press enter.

Another way to access information is to log onto remote computer and use it.Telent provides that capability.

When you get connected your computer acts as if your keyboard is attatched to the remote computer.This means you can run program on the other side of the world.You might use telnet to look at the electronic card catalogue from the liabray of congress or the british liabary in london.

Your Windows XP Operating system have Hyper terminal that you can use to connect to other computers, Telnet sites, bulletin board systems (BBSs), online services, and host computers, using either your modem or a null modem cable.

If you want to browse through Telnet or Bulletin borads,or Newsgroups and Listserve groups you can use Hyper terminal.Though these tools are history but they are still valuable source of information.

How to use Hyper terminal Tutorial will be posted soon.Till then ..Enjoy Trapezoids..

148114[/snapback]

erm..well said? :unsure:

Telnet is a feature of MS-DOS. Used for supporting telnet servers, (Often Games) and hacking. If you know ports and how to do it. I'm quite savvy with MS-DOS. But I don't put my abilities to bad use.Gopher on the other hand..I really don't know. I did some research on it and I found out its a server. I never knew. o.o And if thats not what you mean, its nothing more than a normal, furry creature.

I did more research.

Gopher is a server & port. It's port number is 70 (TCP & UCP)

Gopher service is used to search and retrieve files from Gopher servers anywhere on the Internet (Gopherspace). Gopher servers store files containing text or binary data, directory information (called phone book), images or sound. Gophers also provide gateways to other systems (WWW, WAIS, archie, WHOIS, Telnet, Ftp and so on). Informations are shown to the user using a series of menus. Any item can be selected from the menu by typing its line number or by placing the cursor next to the item (you can use arrows keys) and pressing the RETURN key.

Each item on the menu may be:

a subdirectory
a text file
a binary file
a sound file
an image file
a phone book (directory information)
an index-search
a Telnet session
Items on the Gopher menu have an identifying symbol next to them:
/ subdirectory
tel link a server telnet
cso yellow pages
? search indexed database
bin binary files
pcbin MSdos binary files
) sound files
picture images files
You can keep track of the exact location of items which you use often, using bookmarks.

How to get to GOPHER (go top)

Local clients

Public domain Gopher clients are available by anonymous FTP from many sites (e.g. boombox.micro.umn.edu in the directory /pub/gopher).

Remote clients

Telnet to one of these sites:

info.anu.edu.au Australia (login: info)
tolten.puc.cl Columbia
ecnet.ec Ecuador
gopher.ebone.net Europe
gan.ncc.go.jp Japan
gopher.sunet.se Sweden
consultant.micro.umn.edu USA
gopher.msu.edu USA
ux1.cso.uiuc.edu USA
panda.uiowa.edu USA (login: panda)
At the login: prompt type gopher (unless specified otherwise).

Commands (go top)
1) s : save current object
2) D : download file
3) q : quit with prompt
4) Q : unconditional quit
5) / : search for an object within a menu
6) a : mark an item in the bookmark
7) A : add menu in the bookmark
8) v : see markers list
9) d : delete item by list
10) = : provide technical information on current item
11) O : show current options

type values:

1) 0 file
2) 1 directory or menu
3) 2 phone directory
4) 3 error
5) 4 Mac binhex Mac file (hqx)
6) 5 MSdos binary file
7) 6 uuencoded file
8) 7 index
9) 8 telnet connection
10) 9 binary file
11) g gif file
12) h html file
13) I image file
14) i Panda's text file
15) M MIME file
16) s sound file
17) T telnet session

GopherMail (go top)
In order to use gophermail, you have to: Send email without nor subject neither text. So you will receive an email with a gopher menu inside. You can type 'x' on item which you want to look. Then you must, of course, send that email. And so on.

In order to limit search: type 'Menu=10' in the subject, to limit menu size. type 'Split = 49000' (49000 is an example) in the subject, to limit file size.

If you send the word help in the subject line of an e-mail message to one of the GopherMail servers, you will get instructions and information on using the system.

You can make the GopherMail conversation more efficient by editing your replies to contain just the Gopher link information for the items you want. You can build a type of bookmarks file by saving the links that you want to use again.

Binary and Sound Files are sent as uuencoded files.

(This was copied and pasted from http://www.wowarea.com/english/help/gopher_help.htm )

Telnet? I cna basically explain that by myself. Its used for accessing a Telnet server, accessing files on another server; webpage. I only use it for hacking. I don't like..use it for other things.