xisto Community
Shawn

Custom 404 Error Pages A Tutorial On How To Make Custom 404 Error Pages

That will work for .htm .html .php .asp .mp3 .jpg ... Any file can be called as an error page (as far as I am aware).

It won't look for /subdir/404.php if you put the .htaccess in the /public_html/ folder directly. This will apply your error page to all sub folders, but won't include the sub folder name in the search for the file.

The user's IP can be taken with the following line of code:

$ip = $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'];

You can resolve that IP address with the following code (in place of what is above):

$resolve = GetHostByName($_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR']);

To get the page that the user came from you can use the code:

$referrer = $_SERVER['HTTP_REFERER'];/* That can sometimes fail as some browsers stop it being sent, so you could try this if it doesn't work */$referrer_uri = $_SERVER['REQUEST_URI'];

I don't think it is possible to find out what page a user was going to, as it will be changed to your 404.php anyway.

I hope this helps you.

What is 404 error and I need help fixing it?

Custom 404 Error Pages

I am trying to download the new yahoo instant messenger. I can get almost the whole thing to download when all the sudden I get "404 not found". What the heck is this?

I never got the error when I downloaded on Windows Millennium. Now I have windows XP and having problems. I am not any computer guru so if someone could talk me through this with very clear and easy instructions it would be greatly appreciated.

-denise