xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
brainless

Mun Conferences ...MUN stands for Model United Nations...

The OLMUN 2005 began today, so I thought it might be time to tell some other people about the idea of MUN conferences, what one can experience there etc etc.

The basics first: In an MUN conference, students from all around the city, country or --as is the case at the OLMUN-- around the world come together to simulate a meeting of the United Nation's General Assembly (GA) (and, depending on the MUN's size, the Secuity Council (SC), the ECOnomic and SOcial Council (ECOSOC) and several UN committees like the Disarmament Committee (DC), Political Committee (PC), Environmental Committee (EC), Human Rights Committee (HRC) and the Special Conference (SpeC)).

I actually dared to speak in front of the General Assembly today - 650 people listening to me, the delegate from Amnesty International, talking about the human rights' situation in the world nowadays.

Luckily, the delegation representing the USA doesn't seem to be liking verbal confrontations too much since I attacked them pretty openly in one part of my opening speech:

[...] you might all know that the issues Amnesty International stands for are things where no one in this room is perfect. But even though we're far from human rights for everyone, we can still strive to reach this goal.

In the last few years, some nations --which are present here today-- have achieved good or very good progress in implementing the Universal Declaration of Human Rights but unfortunately, and Amnesty is very concerned about this, some nations in the so-called "western world" showed the world that they've already gone a long way on the road to abolishing the most basic international treaties, like the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and the Geneva Convention with its protocols. Even more disturbing is the fact that they have done so in the guise of bringing peace and freedom, to those who don't have these or in other words, destroying international terrorism.

Freedom is a basic human right, but: !!No one has to die for freedom!!, well, at least if you don't want to liberate life from bodies...

... thanks to Anti-Flag for their song "Operation Iraqi Liberation (O.I.L.)" for inspiring me on the last sentence (their lyrics go like "Number one in liberation, liberating life from bodies").

Anyway, I've got to go and spend some more time on my resolution on Crime prevention and criminal justice, I'm still not stating clearly and un-misunderstandable that I would like to see police/law enforcement forces punished when they're abusing their power to violate human rights...

Woe, thats cool... I don't know Anti-Flag songs, but I've heard of them quite a lot.

Really good speech. I think sometimes people need to get reminded of what they're blindly :rolleyes: doing. Anyways, I find quite difficult to make them improve in this area. O.I.L. is not the last atrocity the World Police is going to do, i'm completely sure of this.

Peace :lol:

BTW: could you recomend me some Anti Flag songs? You're from Deutschland, right? do you like Tocotronic? What about Einst?rzende Neubauten? lol see ya

Luckily, not many people outside the Axis of the Willing support the Coalition of the Willing (and even within the Coalition of the Willing, there are some countries where the people strongly oppose the government's participation) :rolleyes:I'll send you a PM for the songs...