xisto Community
candicej

Windows Won't Boot Up Getting error message appears with hal.dll or ntosknl.exe no

Can anyone help with this issue? I have at least three machines at work that are currently booting up to a blank screen with either hal.dll or ntosknl.exe missing error. The machines are running Windowa 2000 pro. I have been able to get them back up and running, bu t I am a little concerned that there maybe a virus. However, I have made sure my AntiVirus software has been updated and a full scan has been run, and no virus has been detected. I have run spyware detecting software as well, and nothing unusual seems to appear. The machines are running ok so far, but I am worried this may happen again, and perhaps infect my other machines on the network. On another note, I also have a Windows NT 4.0 box set up that has also done the same things as the Windows 2000 Workstations. The one anomoly is that I noticed that the Hard Drive space seems to fill up really fast. I know there has to be something going on there but Norton is not finding anything. If someone could please help on this issue I would greatly, greatly appreciate it.Thanks

umm,it must be spy virus which can copy self and increase when your pc setup.if updating your antivuse does not work,you should check them out and stop relative process from taskmgr at first,then find exactly in your registry to delete one by one completely.certainly you can also check the status of you pc at safe mode,if the hard disk is still full...

not full(means normal like before),the virus must exist on disk(data area),then you should delete them in registy as well;

full means the virus exsit in boot sector of your disk.you must recovery your system and clear up all the virus of boot sector.you can use recovery conrtol panel to type fixmbr(under system volume like C:/) and select "yes".systme will rewrite the disk partition info to boot sector to cover the previous.

good luck.

hulunes:Thank you for your quick reply. I will definately look into this. It didn't cross my mind to try fixmbr. You wouldn't happen to know what exactly I should look for in the registry? I will look for anything out of the normal. My first agenda though is to move, or ghost the hard drive to a bigger one in the NT box. I need some more play room and a backup, even if it is infected, before tackling anything dealing with the boot script. Again thank you for the directional help. I will update this post, and check back for more help if needed.

It seems like the GUI of your WinXP system is changing..
You have attempt to change the skin of your Windows XP?
Because ntosknl.exe is the loading screen when your Windows XP boots up.. also called the Boot-Up screen...
If you changed it, ntosknl.exe might be found because it's incompatibility between WinXP and WinXP with Service packs...
To updo this, you have to access back to your harddrive, which you can create a bootable CD and add the original ntosknl.exe to your bootable CD, copy and overwrite the errorous version of ntosknl.exe

If the above wasn't what you have done.. then it was due to an incorrect BOOT.INI
To gain access to the Boot.ini, go to Start/Run and type in: msconfig. Then go to the Boot.ini Tab. Or...Right click the My Computer icon/Properties/
Advanced/Startup and Recovery/Settings/System Startup/Edit.

How to Edit the BOOT.INI File in Windows XP
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us

As for hal.dll, here are the steps to recover from the mistakes..
Boot from your WinXP CD and follow the directions to start Recovery Console.
Then type these commands :

Attrib -H -R -S C:\Boot.ini
DEL C:\Boot.ini
BootCfg /Rebuild
Fixboot

The alternative way is to boot from your CD and follow the directions below to start Recovery Console.

Insert the Setup compact disc (CD) and restart the computer. If prompted, select any options required to boot from the CD.
When the text-based part of Setup begins, follow the prompts; choose the repair or recover option by pressing R.

If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot system, choose the installation that you need to access from the Recovery Console.
When prompted, type the Administrator password. (if you didn't create one try pressing enter).

At the system prompt, type Recovery Console commands; type help for a list of commands, or help commandname for help on a specific command.

Most likely you will need to expand the file from the CD. The command would be expand d:\i386\hal.dl_ c:\windows\system32\hal.dll. Substitute d: for the drive letter of your CD. Once you have expanded the file type "exit" to exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer.

You can refer to some screenshots of the recovery console here
http://www.windowsnetworking.com/j_helmig/wxprcons.htm

I think I have isolated what is causing my problem. In C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\VirusDefs I notice alot of .tmp files being created at every 2 to 3 minut intervals. Once I clena these out, my hard drive space seems to go back to normal. Does anyone know what would cause this?

These .tmp files created by Norton Anti Virus should be temporary files of the downloaded definations and updates through the LiveUpdate program..After installation of the updates, the temp files are left there and not deleted...Regarding every 2 to 3 minutes creation time, I suppose you have enabled to check for virus for every file, which the temp file of the file that is being checked is created there...Likewise, I don't think it has auto removal feature for your case...As for mine, I don't see any temp files in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\VirusDefs .. I've using Norton AntiVirus too...

We use Norton Corporate version 7. Which version are you using. I am wondering if it is a Corporate version thing. If not then perhaps something has created the folder when it shouldn't have been.

Normally HAL.DLL is cause of error in boot.ini but if its happening alot could be cause of a virus. Might be that the system got infected and Norton was not able to detect it.Many virus programs destroy the anti virus software also.Try running an online scan from norton's website or try a new anti virus program.Try avast from avast.com it also has a built in firewall and internet traffic scanner. And its FREE.Cheers.

Hrmmm.... I encountered the problem of ntosknl.exe being corrupted a while ago when I was diagnosing a broken HDD (swapped hdd's in and out). I have magnetic fingers (kind of) which might have caused the HDD to end up corrupted. Had to reinstall windows XP since I couldn't replace the darn files from the installation disc. What you could be suffering is harddisk decayment or what the previous posters told you, a virus.R.I.P to an 3 year old installation of windows XP :P

Boot up error messageWindows Won't Boot Up

When I turn on my computer I get the following:

The instructions at "0X00401082" reference memory 0X00000000 the memory cound not be written.

Then it tells me to Click on OK to terminate the program or click on cancel to de-bug the program.

I've tried both and neither one works.

TrudyA

0x00401082 errorWindows Won't Boot Up

I just encountered that myself.  I am working on a neighbors Dell machine.  I am going to try to rebuild from the factory disk from our Dell disk to see if that will fix it. I was able to load on an alternate partition but di not rebuild ont he orginal C: so as to be aboe to retreive the docs pictures etc for the user.

-reply by John