xisto Community
wariorpk

Last Free Version Of Php Nuke Is This Really Happening?

I was surfing the net and decided that I want an upgraded version on PHP Nuke for my site. So I went to the PHP Nuke site. On the frontpage it says that version 7.7 final costs $10. In the download box the last version I could find is 7.5 (so I think its the last free one). Do you think that the beloved free portal is not going to be free in any future version?

i believe not. They have seen that so many people are using it and now they are going to try and make money off of it. This really pisses me off when they make something good for free than they come up and make you pay for it.

You bring about a very interesting point. Whenever they come out with free software thats really good you usually have to pay for it eventually. I have another theory though, maby they will release previous versions that you had to pay for to the public for free when they come out with a new version.

Yes, i don't use phpnuke anymore because of that, this is so frustrating, i hate all of them because of that, if php nuke is free it's free if it's not free it's not free, I ahte when they do that, money money and money, I know that is hard developing applications when you don't have money but I don't think that this is the case here....

Well its good to know that we are getting it eventually. Also, they only charge $10 and most formerly free website software is usually very expensive. Take Invision Power Board for example they used to be free now a premanant licence is over $100. Also will anyone PM me when they release a new PHP-Nuke to the public.

I'm sure that in no time people will be finding illegal copies of the latest version floating around on the Internet, then it will be getting spread. For a portal, it looks really nice. Many people may not consider the cost worth it, especially if new releases are coming out that require you to update it all over again because an exploit is found, or some other flaw. Free is nice, obviously. But there are many other portal options out there that are still free for alternatives.

I don't see the problem. Either you pay $10 and get a new version a little bit earlier than everyone else, or you don't pay and get it at the same time as everyone else. Imagine you could get <latest cool game for PC/some console> a month before everyone else for $10 extra, I'm sure a lot of people would do it, then again other people wouldn't. The point is that PHP Nuke is still kind of free. Anyway, if you're dissatisfied with the direction PHP Nuke is going, why don't you get the latest PHP Nuke release and start building a new product based on it, and release it for free? It's all GPLed, so you can start making your own thing based on PHP Nuke as long as you release it under GPL as well.

I found out that PHP Nuke is releasing 7.7 for free on their page now. Originally I thought it was an older version as their last free one, but I was wrong. The cost went from $10 for it, up to $20 for a short time, but I see the price is back down to $10 again. Am I wrong on this?

No, they will keep making free versions as long as they are around, and people may keep donating, or upgrading...although they may go through a stage of making it so u should really upgrade, i.e packaging the upgrade with really usefull stuff, and some stuff u used to get with free versions, or something like that...or maybe they will just be nice and not do something silly, it is hard to tell.

It wouldn't really make a difference to me. Whenever I use a portal i've used Post-Nuke... it's been superior by far for a long while.

http://www.postnuke.com/

It's a fork of PHP-Nuke, so it's pretty much the same, but the extensions are better, and its less vulnerable.

148486[/snapback]

Yes postnuke is nice, but I think CPG Nuke or the newer version called cpg nuke dragonfly is better :P But I dont think it really misses it by far... http://dragonflycms.org/

PHP Nuke always have been buggy, hard to install, slow and insecure for me... Thats why my choise goes to CPG Nuke.