xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
fireofgoths

Building A New Computer need opinions

Hey guys i am building my new computer and i wanted opinions on the hardware/software that will be going into it o start here the hardwarenvidia nforce 2 mother board 400 chipset socket Asony combo drive 52x32x52x16 (oem)kingston ram 2 sticks 256mb ddr pc-2700Maxtor DiamondMax 10 6B120P0 120GB 7200 RPM IDE Ultra ATA133 Hard Drive - OEMSAMSUNG 915N-BK Black 19" 8ms LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 700:1 0.294mm Pixel Pitch ATI RADEON 9800PRO 128M Radeon 9800PRO 128MB DDR AGP 4X/8X Video Card- software -running windows 98 2nd edition :rolleyes: becuase xp is junk!let me know if there is somthing that you think needs to be changed or what ever... i am open to all opinions!

yeah,what a perfect configuration you guy gave.how much does ATI X800 in your area which owns 256M with PCI-E 2X.for your nforce motherboard to opt this one is a good idea.by the way the hard drive is a little low from the whole.maybe you will change them with SATA series when the transmising rate really over 100M/s.in all,excellent one... :rolleyes:

let me know if there is somthing that you think needs to be changed or what ever... i am open to all opinions!

144924[/snapback]

Yeah, pretty much all of it... that thing is two generations old now. There is a nForce 4, SATA instead of ATA133, PCI-Express instead of AGP Socket 939 instead of A... basically it is outdated...

lol i am aware of that and the m board is only around 2 years old but it is a kick butt rig and i am only 15 so i dont got money jsut flying out of my pockets :rolleyes: and im not out for the best of the best as long as it does waht i want it to!and i forgot to post my cpu loland if you didn't like any of my computer then you wont like my old school cpu :lol: AMD Athlon XP 2800+ Barton 333MHz FSB Socket A - OEM

nvidia nforce 2 mother board 400 chipset socket Asony combo drive 52x32x52x16 (oem)
kingston ram 2 sticks 256mb ddr pc-2700
Maxtor DiamondMax 10 6B120P0 120GB 7200 RPM IDE Ultra ATA133 Hard Drive - OEM
SAMSUNG 915N-BK Black 19" 8ms LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 700:1 0.294mm Pixel Pitch
ATI RADEON 9800PRO 128M Radeon 9800PRO 128MB DDR AGP 4X/8X Video Card

1. Don't go for Socket A. If I were you, I would wait until next year when Pin 940 becomes standard. Right now, it's 939, but AMD is going to be changing it. If you have to get it right now, go for a 939 pin mb so it supports future OSs.
2. Don't buy a Sony burner. You'll be dissapointed. Get either a Plextor, Yamaha, or LG. Also, don't buy an OEM. It's junk. Get something with a good warranty and burning software.
3. Good RAM. Crucial is the best. Go for one stick, instead of two 256MB. Also try to get PC-4000 if you can. If you run only Windows 98SE, never get more than 512 MB, or it won't work.
4. Don't go for a Maxtor. Get a Western Digital. Maxtors have a higher tendancy to break down faster. They are more quieter and cooler, but they just don't last as long.
5. Samsung is a good monitor.
6. If you're a serious gamer, you may want to go for the 800X or 850X. Depending on which games you play, you may want to go for a Nvidia 6 series. For future games, you may want to consider PCI-Express rather than 8X AGP.

1. Don't go for Socket A. If I were you, I would wait until next year when Pin 940 becomes standard. Right now, it's 939, but AMD is going to be changing it. If you have to get it right now, go for a 939 pin mb so it supports future OSs.

145038[/snapback]

No!!....that's crazy...AMD is gonna put all new desktop CPUs on 939...

Socket 940 needs ECC registered memory...which is expensive...and not that fast as ordinary memory....so no way they are gonna put all new CPUs on socket 940;)

Hey guys i am building my new computer and i wanted opinions on the hardware/software that will be going into it o start here the hardware

nvidia nforce 2 mother board 400 chipset socket A

sony combo drive 52x32x52x16 (oem)

kingston ram 2 sticks 256mb ddr pc-2700

Maxtor DiamondMax 10 6B120P0 120GB 7200 RPM IDE Ultra ATA133 Hard Drive - OEM

SAMSUNG 915N-BK Black 19" 8ms LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 700:1 0.294mm Pixel Pitch

ATI RADEON 9800PRO 128M Radeon 9800PRO 128MB DDR AGP 4X/8X Video Card

- software -

running windows 98 2nd edition :lol:  becuase xp is junk!

let me know if there is somthing that you think needs to be changed or what ever... i am open to all opinions!

144924[/snapback]

1.i would take a socket 939 MBO...socket A is getting too old;)

2.why don't you take NEC 3540...it' very cheap (DVD-/+ RW)

3.ok...kingmax is OK too

4.take SATA hard;)

5.ok

6.that card is too old (i have it :rolleyes: )...take 6600GT (PCI-E)

and Xp is NOT JUNK!!!...at least it's better than 98...

i will disagree on that with xp if you put in a demo of somthing and its on a time limmt you CAN NOT reinstall it becuase it places files in the regestry but with 98 you can jsut overide the files :rolleyes:

also i will have to say is 98 is a barebone windows and xp is jsut to flashy and the layout stinks... yes i know that can be changed but even then it really sucks so far 982nd edition is THE best one microsoft has released but that might soon change with the project " Longhorn " that is supost to break and revolutionize it for ever... we will see when that time comes

I understand that your are only 15 but to be honest, i would def update to a newer motherboard (they are like just above $100 for the best one) and get a pci-express graphics card. The hd issue (ata to sata) is not that important if u ask me and 512 ram is ok (preferably would update to 1 gig). Finally, the only other thing i would do is get some kick *bottom* speakers

No!!....that's crazy...AMD is gonna put all new desktop CPUs on 939...

Socket 940 needs ECC registered memory...which is expensive...and not that fast as ordinary memory....so no way they are gonna put all new CPUs on socket 940;)

145274[/snapback]

It's not crazy. It is inevitable. Please read this article: http://www.geek.com/date/2005/5/

Sata drives in my opinion are worth it and are faster, and doesnt cost any more.you dont need to buy different CD/DVD drives, they still run on the standard IDE technology.there are CD drives now available with SATA interface, but they are high end, expensive items. and I dont think they offer a large increase in performance compared to IDE.There also very simple to set up, just a simple cable that needs to be plugged in really...for your motherboard, do you plan to use AMD or Intel?