xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
SilverSoldierTT

Dvd To Dvd-rw DVD Drivers

Ok, I am aware that it is possible to take a normal DVD-ROM, and by switching the drivers, since it uses the same laser, change it to a DVD-RW... Since with today's market where I live, that would save me between $60 and $200, it really sounds like an intrigueing offer...My question starts like this... Where would I find the drivers to make this transfer come from thought to reallity? How do I go about transfering the drivers safely? An once it is done, does anyone know the ratio as to speed differences? Like if you are using a 54X DVD-ROM, what would the DVD-RW speed be, etc... Anyways, if someone might be able to get back to me on this with what they know or have done when you get some time, id appreciate this... thanks...

Ok, I am aware that it is possible to take a normal DVD-ROM, and by switching the drivers, since it uses the same laser, change it to a DVD-RW... Since with today's market where I live, that would save me between $60 and $200, it really sounds like an intrigueing offer...

Unfortunately, that's all crap... DVD-RW requires a special laser head that can write or "burn" data onto the disc.. On the other hand, a DVD-ROM simple just reads data off the disc... So you can never convert a plain DVD-ROM drive into a DVD-RW... If you can, let me know... Because I know it can't be done... You can only count your fingers up to 10... It doesn't make any sense for another human or an alien to teach you to count your own fingers more than 10... Only if you have more then 10 fingers then you can count them... So even with drivers installed, although such drivers would never exist, the drives will still never be able to write data to the disc.. because it simply wasn't mean't to.. You need to know how disc drives works to know more alot such stuffs... Read an article by PCTech.com here... https://www.pctechguide.com/dvd/

Ok, I am aware that it is possible to take a normal DVD-ROM, and by switching the drivers, since it uses the same laser, change it to a DVD-RW... Since with today's market where I live, that would save me between $60 and $200, it really sounds like an intrigueing offer...

Ā 

My question starts like this... Where would I find the drivers to make this transfer come from thought to reallity? How do I go about transfering the drivers safely? An once it is done, does anyone know the ratio as to speed differences? Like if you are using a 54X DVD-ROM, what would the DVD-RW speed be, etc... Anyways, if someone might be able to get back to me on this with what they know or have done when youĀ  get some time, id appreciate this... thanks...

143944[/snapback]

i don't think this is possible because there is some chips in the driver.

it is different for DVD ROM and DVD RW

It's not actually the Chip.. but the laser head...DVD-ROM only have the READ head...DVD-RW has the READ & WRITE head...It's physical... no drivers can "add" a write head to the drive...

InspironĀ  Posted Yesterday, 07:01 AMĀ  It's not actually the Chip.. but the laser head...
DVD-ROM only have the READ head...
DVD-RW has the READ & WRITE head...
It's physical... no drivers can "add" a write head to the drive...

oops! missed that! i thot he said it was a DVD-R that he wanted to change to a DVD-RW.
But i have been able to flash my Lite-on DVD-RW from single to double layer even though not technically supported. ---but i realize this is a whole different thing. yeah, then we'd take cd-roms for $15 and transform them into CD-RWs. :rolleyes:

It is completely impossible to change a DVD-R to DVD-RWfor 3 reasons:The reader motherboard is not prepared for the writing function, doesn?t have the right microchips to buffer the data to be written;The laser head is of a different kind, and variates intensity and spectrum to each function assigned;The companies that sell DVD writers would go bankrupt... :DDon?t even try, you?ll end up spoiling your working reader...regards...