xisto Community
adriantc

Cloning The Tasmanian Tiger... Is it moral?

I personally don't have a problem with cloning. Matter of fact, I find it a fasinating subject. However, to use clones to build up endangerd species or extinct species is not a particularly good way to go about replenishing a species. All the clones will have identical genetic material. Breeding them would be like breeding siblings, and problematic defects would make for an unhealthy and unstable animal. You would need to clone numerous different animals within the species to avoid this problem, which may be extremely difficult to do especially in the case of bringing back extinct species where your gene pool is going to be very limited.

u are right gaetano

A very stupid double-post. Funny that it's already been 4 years and he still hasn't been reported.

I personally don't understand what's so wrong with cloning or stem-cell research. Cloning is just a different way of creating an animal, and stem cells are not alive yet. What really sucks for me, though, is my mom thinks this stuff is so awful. I just don't get it.

I also don't get how cloning a dinosaur would be so bad. "Dinosaur" is nothing more than a broad classification of reptiles that existed in a certain timeframe millions of years ago, but society always thinks of a big tyrannosaurus when they hear the word "Dinosaur". That's a lot like saying that mammals are small and weak, looking only at the mouse. If a dinosaur was cloned, it would be no different than cloning any other animal. Why heck, you just might make a tyrannosaurus your best friend.