xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
quiksilver

A Report On Mormonism All about Mormonism...from a Catholic

MormonismWhen Jesus lived on the earth he organized his Church so that all people could receive his gospel and return one day to live with God. After Jesus ascended to heaven his Apostles continued to receive revelation from him on how to direct the work of his Church. After they were killed members changed the teachings of the Church that he had established.In 1820 Joseph Smith prayed to learn which church he should join. In answer to his prayer God and Jesus appeared to him. Joseph learned that the Church originally organized by Jesus was no longer on the earth. Joseph Smith was chosen by God to restore the Church of Jesus Christ to the earth. It has grown to an organization with members and congregations throughout the world.Today the church of Mormon has published more than 100 million copies of the Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Jesus Christ, in over 93 languages, Has over 11 million members, and is represented by over 60,000 missionaries in 162 countries, and has more than 100 temples worldwide. The Book of Mormon is another witness that Jesus Christ really lived that He was and is God?s Son. The Book of Mormon concludes with a great promise that those who read it and sincerely pray about it can know by the Holy Ghost that it is true (Moroni 10:4). As their basic perspective on living a Christian life Church members try to remember that Jesus said: ?Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.Mormons belief in God is the same as Catholics. Mormons belief in Jesus Christ is also the same as Catholics. A Summary of their beliefs are:They believe in God, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost.Mormons believe that men will be punished for their own sins, and not for Adam?s transgression.They believe that through the Atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel.Mormons believe that the first principles and ordinances of the Gospel are: first, Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, Repentance; third, Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; fourth, Lying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost.They believe that those who are in authority, to preach the Gospel and administer in the ordinances thereof, must call a man of God, by prophecy, and by the laying on of hands.Mormons believe in the same organization that existed in the Primitive Church, namely, apostles, prophets, pastors, teachers, evangelists, and so forth.They believe in the gift of tongues, prophecy, revelation, visions, healing, interpretation of tongues, and so forth.Mormons believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly; they also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God.They believe all that God has revealed, all that He does now reveal, and Mormons believe that He will yet reveal many great and important things pertaining to the Kingdom of God.Mormons believe in the literal gathering of Israel and in the restoration of the Ten Tribes; that Zion (the New Jerusalem) will be built upon this the American continent; that Christ will reign personally upon the earth; and, that the earth will be renewed and receive its paradisiacal glory.They claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.Mormons believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law.They believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, Mormons may say that they follow the admonition of Paul?Mormons believe all things, we hope all things, they have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things.In conclusion I found that Mormonism has a lot more similarities to Catholics than I imagined. Our beliefs and their beliefs are very common to each other for example; they believe in God, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost.

That's a very detailed article well done. What about protestantism vs. catholic vs. momoninsm? I mean, as far as i know they're all different streams of the christian belief? They all do differ by a little bit but not enough getting mad over is there? I do hear that catholics vs. protestants do have their disagreements.

Yeh, I guess, but then again I don't think I could do the research and put enough effort into it to write a good one with 3 different religions so I think it is best I stick with just two :rolleyes: I don't know why my Catholic school/church urged me to write this becuase when I researched it it sounded like the Mormon religion was the right religion.Right now in my life religion isn't that big of a deal. Right now my plans are to sort the religion thing out when I'm older...much older.

There are so very many Christian denominations out there, and it is important to look into them all and recognize their differences and similarities. The most important thing of all is their belief in Jesus's sacrifice on the cross where he died the death that was meant for us so that we may one day see God. All other beliefs are secondary. However, that does not mean that the denomination's other beliefs are unimportant. The Bible repeatedly warns of apostate churches, whose members don't respong to God's call don't particularly care much about him or his presence in their lives. This is terribly sad, because God is the giver of everything, and I mean everything, that is good in this world! He isn't here to point his finger at you and tell you what a sinner you are; he wants to help you through your life and carry you up to his home in heaven when your time here is through. Just look at this verse: "For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved." - John 3:17Does that sound like an angry, judgemental God to you? While it is true that God does not like sin - He is so holy he cannot allow it in his presence - he provided a way to completely, utterly, and irrevocably wash away *all* of a person's sins, no matter how great. That way is his son. "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." - John 3:16All a person has to do is trust in Jesus to wash away their sins, and they will be made clean in God's sight. They will be free to partake of the fruits of the spirit - love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control, and best of all, they will one day reign in heaven by his side.All of that was spelled out clearly in God's Holy Word, the Bible.Now, this is where denominational differences come in. Some churches teach that you need something extra to reach heaven, such as doing good works, or that you don't need Jesus to wash away your sins because you get into heaven by simply "being a good person"....the list goes on. Some differences are quite trivial, but some are very serious and could jeporadize a person's chance of getting into heaven because they have been told an untruth. That's why it is so important to study God's word and how various denominations disagree on it.

Five years have passed since this topic was posted, but I'm curious to see the development...

Yeh, I guess, but then again I don't think I could do the research and put enough effort into it to write a good one with 3 different religions so I think it is best I stick with just two ;)
I don't know why my Catholic school/church urged me to write this becuase when I researched it it sounded like the Mormon religion was the right religion.

Right now in my life religion isn't that big of a deal. Right now my plans are to sort the religion thing out when I'm older...much older.

I am actually somewhat surprised to hear a Catholic school requesting you write an article on Mormonism (at least without clarifying after the fact the differences).

You know, I sometimes say the same thing to the point that I'm too busy today or this week to sit down and read the bible. However, if you're not a Christian yet, don't delay in picking up a bible and reading at least one of the four gospels (such as Luke). Who can predict that you don't die tomorrow? Don't put it off!

Now I will readily tell you that I am a protestant, but I am at least glad you are in a good environment. I can say many things about Mormonism (as well as Catholicism) that makes certain things false. The main thing is that the bible is infallible...anything that is truly from God is absolutely true and never changes. And because John 1 states that God is not only the author, but is the bible itself (in a spiritual sense), the bible does not contradict itself. Therefore, if you find anything that contradicts the original inspired word of God, it cannot be true, because it is therefore not of/from God.

And to clear up protestantism, there are hundreds of denominations. Because we as humans are sinful as well as different in our personalities, we all have slightly different belief systems, due to slightly different interpretations of the bible. This interpretation should not be confused with contradictions, as stated above, but rather vagueness. Since we cannot truly know everything God knows (just look at how much work he made into creating the stars in the universe in a single day...can you do that?), do you expect he could place every last detail within a comprehensible reference manual without making the book larger than the earth's circumference? Not possible!

In a sense, you could say that different "religions" have built upon each other. Jewish > Early Christians which formed into Catholicism (and later divided to Protestantism) > Mormonism. However, I challenge you to look into detail on the Mormon faith if you think it is yet the 3rd testament. Chances are, if you've truly studied the rest of the bible, it won't take you long to find a contradictory flaw that will disprove it. MaryAnne Der Esel indeed helps outline some important scriptures, but her to add my own comment about "doing good works", consider Ephesians 2:8-9, "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—not by works, so that no one can boast." To do good works will not create grace, but rather it is grace that will create the urge to do good works.
Edited by Jonnyabc (see edit history)