xisto Community
c3nar1us

Replacing Ie With Firefox how to...

Hey guys, if you still have Internet Explorer, get with it, Mozilla Firfox is all the go nowadays! i got this from a edition of PC User, so here is a way to replace IE with Firefox:

To make Firefox your default browser:

1. Download the latest version of firefox from https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/

2. Close all programs and then double click the firefox setup program

3. Choose 'Custom Install', accept the default program installation location or browse to the location in which you wish to install it

4. In the 'Select Components' dialog, choose 'Quality Feedback Agent' (this reports any problems to the development team, so they can improve firefox) and click next

5. Choose the shortcuts you want firefox to create

6. Continue the installation and let the browser launch when the installation has completed

7. You'll be presented with a box asking you where to import Settings and Data from. This is your chance to import your favourites, passwords, and history from IE

8. Firefox will ask is you want it to be your default browser. Tick the 'Check at start up next time too' box and click yes. This will ensure firefox always checks to ensure it is the default browser, just in case IE tries to reclaim that role for itself!

By not deleting/unistalling IE, it will allow you to still use IE to go on microsoft sites (as firefox cannot acess these sites).

hope this helps you guys!

Oh thanks..But that was quite fundamental by the way...If you open Internet Explorer after installing firefox and made it the default broswer, IE will automatically make itself the default browser..To really do this, you need to go to your Control Panel, Add and Remove Programs, and select Default Applications...That should do the job...

If you set Firefox as your default browser it will be well worth viewing your web pages in other browsers. The majority of users won't use something they are not used so you will need to check how they see your site.

ok what c3nar1us is the basic, because im actually having problems making firefox the default browser. When ever i use msn and click the link to mail and others it uses IE as the broswer and this is even when i delete IE from the remove program, it still has no effect. Does anyone else have this? Or know how to change it?

That short guide is good to keep in mind. I'll keep both browsers, although I'll be using Firefox most of the time. It's just that there are several site that won't operate properly on anything other than IE.

Too bad you cant uninstall Internet Explorer. It is a browser that is waiting to be hi-jacked by someome. I use Firefox, and I like it alot. I still use Internet Explorer sometimes for ActiveX scripts like Windows update and GameSpy

Setting Firefox as your default browsers does not necessarily means replacing internet explorer.Internet Explorer is integrated into Windows XP, as shoe laces are to the tennis shoe.Internet Explorer is the mainstay to Windows XP search feature, folder browsing, etc. When you are clicking on My Computer, you are using Internet Explorer to search your computer.Although this may be a little bit confusing, it really isn't.When you click on My Computer, you will see its address as: "C:/My Computer."This is the same thing as "trap17.com; but by typing in "C:/" you are telling your computer to access your hard-drive, not the internet.So to completely remove Internet Explorer is harmful to your Operating System, if not impossible.

hmm of course mozilla is better that IE, but i like to use Opera, cuz it is more professional and a lot better. but sometimes i use mozilla when opera cant open some page (realle rarery) :P

Though Mozilla firefox rakes up and continues to draw many users around the world, its just about 50 million people that are using mozilla firefox whereas the rest are probably using Internet Explorer for some reason or the other. I heard that other browsers like Opera and others have some problems unlike Internet Explorer which is made to work well with Windows Operating systems. Since more people are using Windows Operating systems I think one has to keep internet explorer as well. If I'm not a webmaster and doesn't have to bother about my sites at all I should have used Mozilla firefox but since I care about my sites and its look when visitors are seeing from all types of browsers I can't help but has to keep internet explorer as well, this way I can see how it appears in all kinds of browsers. Therefore, I mainly use internet explorer to checking my sites. So, I won't replace Internet Explorer with Firefox but will keep both together! In fact, some sites are not displaying at all in firefox and many components/plugins needed to be installed separately for firefox which makes me mad at a time.

well if you go into add/remove programs then add/remove windows components and uncheck internet explorer it will remove all shortcuts EXCEPT to windows update, you can also access it by my computer then typing the url in the adress bar, Noonster22 they are different apps just integrated, explorer.exe is file manager and IEXPLORE.exe is internet explorer they are designed so that a website will load iexplore.exe (the rendering engine) to display the page