xisto Community
Florisjuh

Problems Sharing An Internet Connection... WMI-Information might be damaged

Hi all,I've been trying to set up my home network to share the internection of this pc, trough a router to a notebook with an USB Dongle... The network works fine, but the internet connection isnt showing on my notebook. In advanced property's of my internet connection it says it cant get the preferences of the internet connection because WMI-information (Windows Management Instrumentation) might be damaged. Is there any way to reinstall this?My PC runs windows XP, the laptop Windows 98Thanks for any help... :P

Hi Florisjuh,The "Windows Managemnet Instrumentation" is part of the core Operating system files that are installed when you setup/install Windows for the first time.You might be able to "repair" the file if you re-install Windows & choose the "repair" option. Check with Microsoft on how to do this. Am sure you can do it in Win XP... but don't know if Win 98 has a "repair" feature/option on the installation disk.If the problem is with the Win 98 OS .. you might have to update it to Win ME or above to use the "repair" feature.Hope this helps,RGPHNX

If you are going to be sharing an interent connection, its sometimes better if you purchase a router, it is good in the long run. I used to ICS my connection, but when I got my router, it was so much easier because I have more options to chose from, and as a add'd bonus, it also has a built in firewall to prevent malicious users from entering your computer.Buying a router is good for the long run because you can add attitional computers in the future easily and conviently

What you more than likely have to do is re-install Windows, I know it sux, but it's usually the most effective way of fixing a serious problem with Windows. And another thing I've found out from my experience with Windows XP and a router is, you may just need the same OS. I know I did, but you never know, my router was a pos(*peice of sh-t* if you didn't know..). But Master Bates(Bill Gates) might have a different solution for you, so check with him and his corporation first.

What you more than likely have to do is re-install Windows, I know it sux, but it's usually the most effective way of fixing a serious problem with Windows. And another thing I've found out from my experience with Windows XP and a router is, you may just need the same OS. I know I did, but you never know, my router was a pos(*peice of sh-t* if you didn't know..). But Master Bates(Bill Gates) might have a different solution for you, so check with him and his corporation first.

142458[/snapback]

I agree with shadow . The best way is reinstalling the windows . You know what ,

if you could , you'd better install windows xp with service pack 2 for you laptop . You will get the better internet sharing quality if you have the same operating system on both mechines .

Hi all,

I've been trying to set up my home network to share the internection of this pc, trough a router to a notebook with an USB Dongle... The network works fine, but the internet connection isnt showing on my notebook. In advanced property's of my internet connection it says it cant get the preferences of the internet connection because WMI-information (Windows Management Instrumentation) might be damaged. Is there any way to reinstall this?

My PC runs windows XP, the laptop Windows 98

Thanks for any help... :lol:

140903[/snapback]

You can share your internet connection to other computers as long as you are connection to LAN, and since you are using routers, it would be easy for you to setup the internet. ok tell me first are you using cable/dsl or modem? if you are using dsl you should specify the gateway to each computers, or you can use analog proxy software to make it easy for you to share the internet