xisto Community
nickmealey

Network Problems - I need some help

Ok, I have a wirless network going in my home. the router is hardwired to one computer, then feed mine across the hall. But how do I set up a wireless network in which I can share printer files ect... I have SP2 set up on both machines. But, I don't have a USB flash drive (it requests it in the wireless network settings). Can somone please explain EXACTLY how to set that up. It would be very much apprieciated. I'll make sure I'm clear. I have 2 computers, they are connected through a wireless network, I want them to be able to share files and a printer. Simple as that. thanx, nickmealey

I bet you have windows security centre?I F**in hate it, Its dead annoying and is the problem most of the time.Ok, What router do you have?Click set up network manually.Follow the instructions and if yu need more help post back because i cant be bothered to type all the instructions.Thanks

Just to clear things up, this is XP we're talking about right?And do you have File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks installed in your Network Settings? Do you know how to do that? It is hard to give you direction without knowing more info, well I could give you detailed step by step, but it would be easier if I knew exactly what you have done, and how much you know about setting up networks.Basically if you have File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks, it is just a matter of selecting the folder/printer and sharing it out by right clicking on the object and going to sharing and setting up a share for it. You have to give the user on the other computer access to the computer, but that isn't that difficult.

1) To be able to share files

You initially need to set up a network group name that is congruent with each other. To change the name of your computer and domain to join

right click on My Computer >> Computer Name >> Change >> select Member of Workgroup

and make up something that is unique. Repeat the same step for the other computer. Computer description can be anything (this identifies which computer you are accessing) but your Workgroup must be the same. And that goes for any computer that wants to be included in your sharing as well. Then, select a folder or a directory to be shared

right click and select Sharing and Security >> Sharing >> Network sharing and security >> share this folder on the network

If you don?t see shared folder/directory right away give it a moment or two. This will show up in My Network Places. If you cannot see it at all, retrace your steps and restart to see if that alleviates the situation.

2) To use a printer within the network

Keep in mind that you will be setting one computer as a dedicated printer spooler. If you want to have your printer available without the dependent of another computer, you must use a print server. Otherwise a computer that has the printer attached must be on in order to print. Print server can be attached directly to a router and printers are attached to the print server. So choose which computer will have the dedicate printer installed hardwire. Then do the following. From your remote computer (the computer does not have the printer attached to) install a new printer as

Printer and Faxes >> Add a printer >> A network printer, or a printer attached to another computer >> insert your printer disc when required

Regarding USB flash drive

The wireless router setting will ask you to have USB flash drive. This is so that an encryption key can be installed without a user writing down 10~20 characters of decryption code by hand. The encryption key code can manually be entered, but make sure you copy it exactly. You may choose not to install the encryption code if you are not transmitting sensitive information, i.e. credit card number, login and passwords that are not important, etc.

And voila! You are all set. Good luck.

:lol: First , you should prepare some devices .#1 , wireless router with printer server function .#2 , two PCI wireless card for you computers or like USB wireless adapters .#3 , high - speed internet connection .#4 , all the necessary cablesSecond , you should setup the connection between the router and your hi - speed internet cable modem . Plug a cable .Third , connect one of your computers to the router and setup the router . You candefinitely learn how to do this step by you owner manual .I have to restart my computer .. to be continued ...

Since you have done the router setup , you need to pick up the wireless single for your second computer . Your wireless card's utility will a great helpful tool .After that , follow what BuffaloHELP says there , you will have everything done .Remember , you should buy that kind of router which has printer server function .Otherwise , What I said above is blank .Post your status here , let me know .