xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
AbstracT

College Finals

What's the point of finals..Why do teachers make a big deal out of one test that suppose to decide if you get a terrible a great grade. Why come to the class at all if one text can decide your entire GPA. Finals are next week and it's feels like the life has been sucked out of the hallways of dorms. The teacher tells you have to remember all the terms you learned in class plus on top of it remember dates and examples. Tell me what isn't pressure? You have to stay in a room for 3 whole hours, sitting on a hard school chair and staring at a blank piece of paper that will determine if you're a 3.5 or 3.8 student. Teachers review a whole 2 weeks and it seems like the rest of the semester was worthless because the assignments handed in does not match the final test percentage. What are the point of finals? It's like a way to torture students one last time before we go on vacation..Which will not be a vacation because we will be wondering what the heck we got on the final exam. The final exam is like a death sentence for grades, cuz you can either get a pardon by the professor or your grade gets executed.Why do teachers put students through all this anxiety for one test.

I'm not in college or university, but I'm sure it's uber tough. I just can't wait untill I get into College, but after I hear so many people complain about it, it doesn't show up in my mind as a good thing anymore. I have to start worrying about finances, and all life stuff. And i'm honestly NOT ready for that... Good luck on your exams.

university isn't that tough at all. You can coast through it very easily, but you might not learn as much. I don't know why the original poster is complaining about exams... probably just can't handle stress too well. Exams are pretty easy if you did the work up front. You asked the point of all the other assignments? It's to help you learn and make you practice and remember the concepts. The exam test to see if you remember them or not.

I would have to say that college is tough... especially around exam times. For me, all my final projects had to be handed in the same week as I had to take all of my exams.The teachers all insist on memorization, which I firmly believe is pointless. I'm not good at memorizing on the best of days. I tried to convince one of my teachers that there was something wrong with all this memorizing. In the real world, that isn't an issue.When I want to do something in the real world, working for real people, I won't sit there and be all like, "now what was that I had to memorize four years ago?" I'll look it up in a book, as someone else who can help me, search the internet. There's plenty of things that are available to use as aids. I really don't think my lack of memorizing skills will hinder me too much.Plus, not only is the final time stressful... the lack of sleep and stress lowers my immune system and I *always* get sick during midterms and exams. Plus, this last finals... my work (I work at the school) upped me from two night-shifts a week, to four night-shifts a week!One would assume that the employers at the school would realize that final week isn't the most opportune time to increase a person's hours. Whatever...It's stressful... the teachers all know it will be, and the students will all surely find out as well.Sorry, my two cents rapidly became my two dollars...

I used to ask that question myself. Final exams do take up a fair chunk of your final grade, but for many courses that is the final "task" for students so that teachers to see whether you have learned the material or not. In the end, students do have to be tested at some point - even if you don't see yourself using the stuff you learned in school four years later.

university isn't that tough at all.  You can coast through it very easily, but you might not learn as much.  I don't know why the original poster is complaining about exams... probably just can't handle stress too well.  Exams are pretty easy if you did the work up front.  You asked the point of all the other assignments?  It's to help you learn and make you practice and remember the concepts.  The exam test to see if you remember them or not.

I think it's hugely dependant on what kind of classes you are following. Here in the Netherlands I think psychology students dedicate on average 20 hours/week to studying. You could think that psychology students are just way smarter than most students, but I'm leaning towards thinking that they just have pretty easy classes, or at least classes that are easy to "just pass" if that's what you want.

On the other hand I know a guy who is studying theoretical physics, and I can tell you spends more than 40 hours/week studying, and that's not because he's a slow learner.

But no9t9 is probably right about a majority, as long as you spend a reasonable amount of time learning things before the exams you should really have no trouble.

It seems like teachers do this to see how much we can remember in a short time span. They cram everything we learn in the semster into 5 generic questions and give you three hours to write it down. Then on top of that for a study guide it's like 20 topics on the paper so you have to study like a billion concepts and then they have the great choice of picking 5 questions of the sheet. BLAH. I can't wait till this final week is over so I can drown myself in a bottles of chocolate millk.

As a recent college grad I can tell you that college is da bomb and you will miss it like crazy once you graduate. However, in order to survive college you need to learn how to manage your time and to balance your life and priorities. College gives you the opportunity to learn, make friends, join organizations, and of course...party. But you have to figure out how to manage your time and dedicate yourself to the stuff that really matters. Studying is really important and so is going to class...(although I ditched a few...they were always on the subjects I knew best). The truth is that if you go to class and don't fall asleep during lectures, then believe me you will have nothing to fear when exam time comes. Going to tutoring sessions and partnering up with classmates is a great way to get through the toughest courses. You should also try to make a well balanced class schedule with both tough and easy courses so you won't be too stressed out. For those of you worring about costs and expenses I can tell you that there are many ways in which you can get financing and loans. It was more difficult for me since I was an international student in the U.S. but I manage to get several scholarships and a job to pay my way through college. I was even able to afford my own car on my junior year (of course paying for car insurance was a real *BLEEP*). Anyways, if any of you want more tips or have any questions about college I would be happy to help out.

Speaking of ditching classes, I used to go to the strip joint instead of class. We sometimes skipped the afternoon classes... In the afternoons, the strip joints are empty and you get all the chicks to yourself. Nobody really shows up until after 5pm. It was cool cause we got attention even though the chicks KNEW we were poor students... they were bored too...

Yeah man I feel you. I just finished up the semester, and one of my finals for a comp sci class was worth a whopping 45% of the final grade. I ended up with an A, but I had to study so much. Way too much weighted on 3 hrs of your time.I don't think college/university is "easy" for everyone. Some people are smart and can coast through, and others need to work very hard and still don't get good grades. Either way, if you want good marks most likey you will need to work hard. Otherwise you're probably at the wrong school.

I have tried the college finals since theres nothing to do in high school i found it very challenging VERY but yet I get a D- on all my other tests well I wouldn't consider this a test just something to do.-mech-