xisto Community
ladyspanky

Vitamins: More May Be Too Many By overtaking vitamins, wer increasing

Okay, This one, i read from reader's digest:

Many of us take supplements, mostly vitamins, convinced that the pills will make us healthier. But researchers say multivitamins have not shown to prevent any disease and that vitamin supplements cannot correct a poor diet.
Instead, doctors who once advised patients that multivitamins were at worst, a waste of money, now say they are questioning that idea. The concern is with the dangers of vitamin excess that is easy to reach high enough doses of certain vitamins and minerals.

Guys, an you believe this?! I never heard of any of these before. Cause i am one of those people who believes in multivitamins. Thank God I know now. It also says in readers' digest that some people may only need vitamins that they're lacking. like for those people who usually spent they time indoors may need vitamin d which the skin makes when it is exposed to sunllght. not multivitamins. only vitamin d.

Notice from rejected:
Added in quote tags, be sure to use them when quoting, instead of the actuall quote marks.

Edited by rejected (see edit history)

Arghh! Well Im not listening to them. I finally found some good chewable vitamins from Jamieson and they are fine. I drink tonnes of vitamin c cause Im a juice addict but I know Im lacking in other stuff. Its the same thing with the weight issue, wine, coffee.. One day its good for you, the next its bad. Blah!

Its true I try to have a balanced diet, but there are a few things that Im lacking. My vitamins taste pretty good too. Also having a newborn I figured it wouldnt hurt taking them, especially for my bones. I drink a good amount of milk and plenty of water. I love fruits and veggies, not always the recommened amount.

Notice from rejected:
Merged posts, try not to double post

I've learned that in school a couple of years ago but even without knowing this I never was the type to take pills every day - I believe my mom was right in teaching me that there might be as many pills on the market as pharma corporations want to make money but that a really good diet can only be achieved by eating fruits and vegetables instead of sweets and pills. Next time you're going to buy a stack of pills: Try a good variation of fruits instead, you might have to eat more in mass but most of them is water, so don't worry, you won't grow fat by eating the good stuff instead of Fast and/or Junk Food with some pills -_-(and: Fruits taste way better than those pills :D)

The problem is with fat soluble vitamins especially vitamin A and D. Water soluble vitamins like B complex and C are not a problem as they can be easily excreted. Excess of vitamins A and D are bad for your healtha nd cause hypervitaminosis. THey are not excreted easily. Another point being said about excess use of multivitamin tabs, yeah they are just supplememts and will not replace actual diet. Also previous claims that vitamin C could cure colds etc have been proven wrong Vitamins A , C and E are antioxidants and are being said to be useful in preventing atherosclerosis. But they must be taken in daily diet and multivitamin tabs wont be much use if diet is not balanced.

I think that vitamins that give around 90 percent of the daily value are OK. Its the ones that give 1000% that are a problem. I heard the ones with more than the daily value can kill small children and harm elderly people. And have you noticed that the ones that have too high of a percentage can't be left in the heat? Maybe there's a reason for that.

The problem is with fat soluble vitamins especially vitamin A and D. Water soluble vitamins like B complex and C are not a problem as they can be easily excreted. Excess of vitamins A and D are bad for your healtha nd cause hypervitaminosis. THey are not excreted easily. Another point being said about excess use of multivitamin tabs, yeah they are just supplememts and will not replace actual diet. Also previous claims that vitamin C could cure colds etc have been proven wrong
Vitamins A , C and E are antioxidants and are being said to be useful in preventing atherosclerosis. But they must be taken in daily diet and multivitamin tabs wont be much use if diet is not balanced.

A lot of the problem with our off the shelf vitamins is that they lack the most important aspect of any medicine/vitamin: Absorbability. Some (perhaps many, I've only done limited research) vital minerals are only absorbed by the body at certain times, or in certain ways, and many off the shelf vitamin suplements are produced by companies who care more about selling the product than about the effectiveness of the product. An example of a tricky suplement is Calcium. Most people's calcium suplements pass right through them leaving only potential complications in the bladder with kidney stones. The problem is that Calcium must first be properly broken down in the stomache to where it can rebond in a form usable by the body and then it needs to stay that way long enough to be absorbed by the small intestine before the solution it is swimming in becomes base enough to allow it to rebond and become useless to the body.

I'd suggest for anyone that any vitamin or mineral you are worried about a deficiency in (or excessive amounts of) do a little (or a lot of) research on what it needs to be effective.

I'd suggest for anyone that any vitamin or mineral you are worried about a deficiency in (or excessive amounts of) do a little (or a lot of) research on what it needs to be effective.

Reasearch is always a good idea, the problem is, who's reasearch do you believe???? Have you ever noticed how you can often find completely opposite results from different sources when reasearching the same subject? And the results seem to change from year to year. One year the sun causes cancer, the next year it cures it. Vitamin C helps prevent colds, next year Vitamin C does not help during the cold/flu season. Eating a balanced diet provides enough vitimins, you would have to eat 7 bushels of vegtables to get enough vitimins and the list goes on and on and on and on..........

My best advice is to pay attention to your own body. How do you feel? Take vitamines, and pay attention to how you feel. Don't take them for awhile, and see if you feel better/worse. Remember to balance things and watch your diet. If you had a honey bun for breakfast, maybe a supplement that day may be a good idea. Eat healthy all day, maybe today you don't need one. Also watch for stressors in your life. Going to have to be out in a crowd and surrounded by lots of germs? Or have to get up early and work a little harder than normal and you know you are not going to get enough sleep? A supplement then may also be a good idea.

I think everyone is an individual. Some may need more vitimins than others. The main thing is to know yourself.

Indeed, multivitamins are not a quick-fix for a poor diet. It's nearly impossible to get the 100% recommended value of everything everyday, but I don't think you really need to; our ancestors most likely didn't, and they survived and even thrived or else we wouldn't be here. As long as you're getting a variety of vitamins every day, you should be fine (unless you have a deficiency or a medical condition which requires more of one, of course). This is one of the reasons it's extremely important to eat a healthy, balanced diet with LOTS of fruits and vegetables. They have so many vitamins, much more than the processed food that is eaten more often. Also, they say that vitamins and minerals are better absorbed when eaten from their natural source, as opposed to a fake one like a multivitamin. And there are probably so many more vitamins that we don't know about, so by eating natural, healthy foods, we can hopefully get some of them.I think taking an occasional multivitamin can be good idea, but if you feel like you need to take 294837 different things a day to be healthy, perhaps you should examine the foods you're eating and try to get the nutrients there instead.