xisto Community
ladyspanky

Q: Keep You Computer On Or Off When Not Needed? A: NO read this. i read it from readers digest.

i shut it down every night, when theres a storm, or im leaving for more than 2 hours, other than that i leave it on because it is the media center pc of the house, so my pda uses it, the tv, and the home theatre, plus the occasional hdtv games :(but it is quite cool to have it on an hdtv, it looks very good when you get it formatted right.but i leave it on for like 5 hours at a time usually.

omg ... is that true? 5 years of not stop running ? What a pityful computer ... imagine a human doing anything non-stop for 3 days .. I know it's a computer .. but dont you think that they should take a "rest" too ? :(

I do shut down my computer whenever i dont use them unless im downloading something. Comeon , Let him rest ! :(

138027[/snapback]

Well, not straight 5 years, like I said, I have had to shut it down a few times since I got it.. I have moved about 4 times in the last 5 years, and made about 10 upgrades since then too, so it has been shut down a few times.. I think the last time was about 4-5 months ago so I could install a newer graphics card..

It has always been as fast as it ever was (I am the only one who uses it, so no junk gets installed, and I maintain it regularly), and even to this day I use large programs like VS.Net without skipping a beat... I love my computer!! :(

Anyway, no need for it to rest, I keep it cleaned up, with very few processes running so as to keep my RAM free.. I do reboot alot, but my PC is a soldier! It is even so quiet that when I am going to sleep I don't hear it.. Plus a plain-black screen-saver keeps my room dark!! :D

I was just wondering that ever since the power of "Hibernation" has been built into the Operating System, why would any one want to leave their machines turned on - for unwanted people to spy on, and waste electricity ???Think About it !Cheers

My computer is always left on. It gets rebooted every day or so, but I always leave it on anyway. It seems to run fine, but it's only a year old and a rental from school... so if the hard-drive fries, or whatever it does, I'd get a new one. But I love my little laptop, and hope that doesn't happen.As for my home pc... it gets left on all the time, but the monitor is turned off while we are away. Both computers are still working fine (my home one is a few years old or more).I don't turn the monitor off on my laptop, I don't even know if I could do such a thing. Sometimes, I put it to sleep... mostly, when I'm carting it to school and back, but other than that, I leave it on. And I like the light from my screensaver, its like a little night light to me :P

Now I'm a worry man.. why? because whether I should keep my laptop on or off during one - two hours break or not. I wonder if on and off many times a day will cause anything to the system. I usually put it stand-by most of the time when I go out for few hours. However I wonder which state is the best now.. whether we switch off or not there is all the time good and badeffect.

my computers on all the time, i just have it go in standby mode so it saves the monitor. i have not had any real problems with it either, the only ones i have had were caused by viruses.

my computer stays on on all the time unless for reboots or hardware changes (which happens alot). I dont really worry about anything going wrong in it since it stays on because its a well built machine. (just kidding its crap)

I never turn off my computer, exceptt wile sleeping. But I thik now I will shut down my computer every 3-4 hours later. I never knew that it was so harmful. 1 tonne of carbon dioxide, OMG thats too much!Thanks for the inforamtion.

I heard a few years ago that turning off your computer does a little bit of damage to it, and over time that's not good. Owning a computer does cost quite a bit just by keeping it on all the time. I'm not sure it's worth it, so I always turn mine off.

But if people need to shut off their computer, and turn it on again, it's BEST to wait 30 seconds so the static electricity leaves.

Yeah.. I just leave the box itself on, and turn off the monitors; that's just the rule of thumb I've been thought to help better manage electricity, and the life of your system. From what i've gathered power on / off / on / off isn't good for life of your system. Constant static power == yum.

I just put my computer on stand by if I'm going out for just an hour or something, anything less than that I would leave my computer on. If I'm going out for longer than that, for maybe the afternoon, then I have an option on my computer called hibernate and it turns off the computer, but not completely, it saves the clipboard and all your programs are open when you turn it off of hibernate mode.When I go to school, or out for the whole day or even longer (if I can cope without my computer) then I will turn off my computer. I might leave it on throughout the night if I'm doing a huge download or something like that.

I turn off my computer for the night, but the computer is on almost all the day. Also, here in Norway, we get the electricity from waterfalls, so the electricity is very cheap, and I don't think there will be more carbon dioxide by having it turned on here. But I always turn off my screen when I'm leaving the computer.

I didnt know that you all are fully Hydro powered. That's awesome! I bet the air is a hell of a lot cleaner than over here.

I turn off my computer for the night, but the computer is on almost all the day. Also, here in Norway, we get the electricity from waterfalls, so the electricity is very cheap, and I don't think there will be more carbon dioxide by having it turned on here. But I always turn off my screen when I'm leaving the computer.

149176[/snapback]