xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
gunbound

Computer Freezes Running Full Screen Game Display and sound freeze and skip

I'm using a Compaq Presario 2100 (Compaq is worst computer ever made, in my opinion).

When I run a game - full screen 640x480 - sometimes it will freeze my computer.

When this happens, the sounds skips a clip of about .5 seconds repeatedly.

The screen always goes either all-black or -another color.

To get out of this, I have to force shut down.

Last time it happened, after restarting the screen was flashing, very slightly, like a wave effect, and it faded away after a couple minutes.

This only happens when I play this game.

Sound or video driver? What could it be? How do I fix it?

Also, perhaps unrelated, when I play media, it won't show up on my TV (using S-Video).

It depends on a lot of stuff. For starters, what processor are you using and how fast is it? If your answer is "celeron", then I have some bad news because a celeron is the worst processor ever made. Believe me. I have it. :lol:And how big is your video card? 64 MB is the lowest one in the market that comes with a new computer nowadays. To find the specifications of your video card, right click on your desktop and click on Properties. Click on the Settings tab and click Advanced at the bottom right. Then click Adapter and tell me the memory size. If it's lower than 64 MB, then you might have some problems playing Gunbound, and I suggest you upgrade it. Radeon is the best in the market today, but I don't know the best card made by Radeon.Anyways, good luck with your problem! :)By the way, what bot do you use in GB, and what rank are you? I'm a silver axe on boomer. :P

I got Athlon AMD 1.52 Ghz and 64MB Video card.I went to Compaq support web site and tried something new. I uninstalled my display adapter and restarted (auto reinstall). I'm going to have to just play for a while and see. I don't know what triggers the problem, sometimes it's first game and sometimes it's after a couple hours, so I'll want to test it for at least a couple hours tonight before I know if it's fixed.

Hm..my fan on my Radeon 9100 stops working very often, and sometimes it'll do similar things. Have you checked your graphics card to make sure everything's working on it right?

I played again and the problem isn't gone. I updated my audio driver and DirectX... played again... still have problem.The only other thing I could think of is if it's too hot. But since my fans are running normally, are clean, and the air they blow is not hot, I have doubts about that being it.What do you mean about checking my graphics card? I have ATI Radeon IGP 320M. OpenGL and Direct3D are both set to optimal proformance. Is there something else you mean about "check my graphics card?"I'm ready to just call this comp a piece of $%!*. That's okay, because it's not mine. I'm just using it temporarily.

What game are you trying to play? Also what specific video-card do you have, because I have a:

AMD Sempron 1.75Ghz Cpu

GeForce 4 MX440 64MB Video Card

^^ That works fine on all games from, Americas Army to the Sims...So it may be your drivers or your brand/type of Video-card. Just check what exactly your card is and what drivers you have.

I played again and the problem isn't gone. I updated my audio driver and DirectX... played again... still have problem.

The only other thing I could think of is if it's too hot. But since my fans are running normally, are clean, and the air they blow is not hot, I have doubts about that being it.

What do you mean about checking my graphics card? I have ATI Radeon IGP 320M. OpenGL and Direct3D are both set to optimal proformance. Is there something else you mean about "check my graphics card?"

I'm ready to just call this comp a piece of $%!*. That's okay, because it's not mine. I'm just using it temporarily.

134416[/snapback]

I meant checking the physical components, see if theres any blown transistors, shorted wires, etc.

You also might want to see if you have the latest drivers, and that your DirectX is up to date.

don't use rivetuner.. It is only for nvidia video cards.. You know.. I have the similar problem with you.. My problem.. Video freeze.. But the sound also stop..

-reply by jerol

I'm having the same problem... Specs on my computer are:Video Card: Nvidia 9600 GT 512mb

Ram: 3 gigs DDR3

Harddrive: 500 gigs internal 500 gigs external

Processor: 2.2mhz tripple core

it only does this when I play specific games, the one I'm having issues with right now is Aliens Vs Preditor 2... The one from like 2001, if anyone can help me out id be forever greatful :) I'm not sure why its doing it on a game with such low graphical requirements... I mean I play modern warfare 2 on the highest settings perfectly!

-reply by Kyle