xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Johnny

Ah, The Good Ol' Asl... Remember age/sex/location?

Anyone remember the term ASL (age, sex, location)? I haven't used it in like, 6 years, but in the past few days, I've been on deviantart, and I've had like 10 people ask me that. I guess it's a younger thing.Anyone else remember some old compy terms you don't use anymore?

I think that it is still the standard net speak. It is especially prevailent with the newer internet users. I have noticed a influx of inexperience net users as of late. They tend to be the ones that use the old standard netspeak that we have matured beyond. I just ask people how old and where they are from now. Of course I also bother to look at profiles too to see what I can glean from that..... Some people are a little leary about who they talk to as well. Its interesting to see the trends that come and go online. Its an interesting phenomenon on its own. The internet is a whole life you live in addition to your real life. It has its own things that make it unique.

You got it unicorn. Dead-on. N00bers use the same lingo we did when we first started, and I guess eventually they'll grow out of it like we did.

I agree with all of you.. I mean, I get a/s/l question constantly when on IRC. An it all comes from mega newbies, who have been using their computer for like 3 days -_-

Oh, and that thing, where they change letters with numbers and stuff like that (M4StR ov L4mRz and stuff :D)... I mean, come on :D You can see from 100km they have absolutely no idea what they're doing... It was fun to me in the begining, and made me laugh, but now... Now it's slowly starting to get on my nerves :D Swapping letters and numbers is kind of cool, but they are using it overly extensive. It's OK to change one or two letters, but swap them all around? I bet that after a week, they couldn't read at, let alone anyone else... :D

But, as you said... I guess they'll just grow over it... Let's hope before I go nutts :D

I agree with all of you.. I mean, I get a/s/l question constantly when on IRC. An it all comes from mega newbies, who have been using their computer for like 3 days -_-

Oh, and that thing, where they change letters with numbers and stuff like that (M4StR ov L4mRz and stuff :D)... I mean, come on :D You can see from 100km they have absolutely no idea what they're doing... It was fun to me in the begining, and made me laugh, but now... Now it's slowly starting to get on my nerves :D Swapping letters and numbers is kind of cool, but they are using it overly extensive. It's OK to change one or two letters, but swap them all around? I bet that after a week, they couldn't read at, let alone anyone else... :D

But, as you said... I guess they'll just grow over it... Let's hope before I go nutts :D

135109[/snapback]

w00t 1337 h4x0r! 0mg! Pwnz3d.

I have no idea how far 100km is, but I'm guessing it's far.

Edited by Johnny (see edit history)

I used to get "wuts ^^?" and "~P~" (means peace out) and I see a lot of people trying to speak "l337", and I hope that they'll eventually grow out of it and try to type properly one day.. I went through that faze before. One big thing that I used to use was "w00t" XD100km is like 60 miles I think?

lol i used to use things like !!11!!!11111!!!! pwned stuff like that its funny when you go into some chatroom where newbies to computers go insane and start saying stuff like that

I used to get "wuts ^^?" and "~P~" (means peace out) and I see a lot of people trying to speak "l337", and I hope that they'll eventually grow out of it and try to type properly one day.. I went through that faze before. One big thing that I used to use was "w00t" XD

100km is like 60 miles I think?

135266[/snapback]

Oh come on people. You all know that the occasional w00t rocks. =P

lol ya J except when a noob goes into a chat room and says W00T LIKE ROLFIMAOH4AX0RS!!!!! that is just overboard [i copy and pasted that from mirc lol]

135318[/snapback]

Hey, every child fumbles with speech. It's the same thing with n00bs. But not really.