xisto Community
dontmaimyourself

How To Change The Windows Xp Shell.

I replaced a shell with a program but when I it tries to run it I get an error.I think it has something to do with how the .exe has to be run from its own folder as it tries to look for its other files.is there a switch that I can put it in registry so that when I call out that .exe file it will know to start in its folder?I've tried to do set path in autoexec.bat and it doesn't workthe only way I've found so far is for me to have shell call out a batch file and in that batch file it calls out a shortcut link which points to the actual program.the problem and ugly side of this is that when shell tries to run the program... a dos prompt comes up.. undedesirable but that is all I can do for now...HELP OR SUGGESTOINS please?!? thanks.evo

Dontmaimyourself:thanks sooo much for this - it worked like a charm!Held off uninstalling Aston Shell for months because of all the warnings. Decided today was the day. Spent hours trying to restore Win desktop and taskbar. All fixed now. Thanks again.-A NON

W2k Explorer.exe on XP

I've put W2k explorer and it's needed W2k dlls

Together in a seperate dir.

Next reboot we'll see...

-reply by Ubbe

a lil help 4u

Replying to Trap FeedBacker

You could just run the *.Bat file as minimized

And you shouldn't see it when it's ran.

Right click the *.Bat file and goto properties

Then goto 4th field, "RUN:" and select Minimized and then apply it.

You should be able to do this for the *.Bat file or any shortcut itself.

-reply by HelperDude

Okay...but...

Alright, I'm working on creating a "safe" environment for a lil' kid. Using the instructions above, I successfully changed the shell to a cute little kid's learning program so that when he clicks on his non-password protected user icon (all other accouts require user authentication) his program comes as the shell and he can't (theoretically) tear up anything on the system. But, when I hit "Exit" on the program, the system goes to a blank desktop and that's it. How do I get windows to logoff when the shell program is closed?

-reply by Brad

if you press ctrl-alt-delete it will bring up the task manager, and from there you can log out.  not really kid friendly though :(

-reply by frantik

Great post dude i really wanted to change that boring desktop and start menu it helped me alot and will help others tooo...BUt be carefull don't try until u knw what you are doing ..

Great tutorial! Litestep is awesome, it's the most configurable (much more so than Style XP and Windows blinds and some of the others that sort of just use the default windows taskbars and make them slightly prettier).I used litestep a while ago and was looking to get it setup on my new computer.Thanks for the tips up :P

I wish I could find a shell for Vista... I can't seem to find one anywhere on the net:(. Does anyone know of any sites with shells for vista? Will these ones work?

Winlogon : AutologinHow To Change The Windows Xp Shell.

Hi All,

I want to bypass the login ui screen in windows xp using my service. I do not want to replace the Gina. Is there any other way by which I can unlock or login to windows (autologin) by passing in the credentials through my dervice. I searched google a lot but the only option that I found out was of Gina. 

There are winlogon notification packages but they only generate event. How to pass the credentials to that login ui box and login into windows?

I saw Logmein (a remote controlling software) using auto logon feature

Please help

-question by Nipun

AutologinHow To Change The Windows Xp Shell.

iGuest: You can configure XP to autologon in the Registry. 

• Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersionWinlogon

• Set the value of DefaultUserName to the user name you want to use

• Set DefaultPassword to the password

• Set ForceAutoLogon to 1

If any of the values don't exist, create them as Reg_SZ or String Values

If you to a google seaarch for "xp autologon" the very first entry will give you a link to these instructions: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/324737

Note that your logon password will be in plain text in the registry where anyone can see it (even remote users on the network). This is a really bad idea if the password is for an administrative account.

-reply by Korin

Windows 7How To Change The Windows Xp Shell.

Hello, I have Windows 7 and I want to change the welcome screen login picture. I have put the OEMbackground REG_DWORD Value:1 Base:Hexidecimal and have placed a .Jpg image in C:Windows/System32/oobe/info/backgrounds; but have not had any success. I have also tried a .Bmp image and .Png image(different and same pictures on all 3). Also there is a  "(Default) REG_SZ, value not set". I have also tried the automatic program made and have had no luck. Please help!

-reply by Fletch

HI MY NAME IS JAIVEER I WANT TO TO CREATE MY OWN XP CD, I WANT TO INSTALL ANITIVIRUS AND SOME PROGRAMS AUTOMATICALLY WHILE INSTALLING XP. PLEASE CAN ANY ONE TELL ME THEE PROCEDURE TO CHANGE THE XP,

there is a more stable and more widely skinnable way of doing this aswell, it is located at http://www.wincustomize.com/,'>http://www.wincustomize.com/, they have skins for the windows logon, the boot screen, the shell, and a whole lot more, most of the programs are free and the ones that arent usually can be used too, just less featured, i am using logonstudio, bootskin, and windowblinds right now on all my computers.

Windowsblinds slows down your computer significantly, and almost everthing on http://www.wincustomize.com/ contains virus gens. I get really tired of seeing people advertise things that have only one purpose, ruin your computer. This is the reason why people choose to do it themselves to try to avoid these pit falls.