xisto Community
Fun4TheMoney

Free Message Board Needs Php Can I have it?

This is a very powerful host so I think they just might allow it. I don't recomment hosting a large forum here simply because of the bandwith requirements. If it is a small forum then I would for sure. Hope I helped a little bit.

131118[/snapback]

Yikes! I never thought about that, but my sites are all small, special-interest sites, so I don't expect to ever have more that 5 or 6 posts in one day.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Suz

This is great stuff! IMHO, you should submit it as a tutorial when we get finished. I know I'm not the only one who could use this info. My friend, with the other brand, paid somebody $50 to set hers up, and somebody else over there wants one, too.Suz

$50 is overpaid for setting up a forum, if you want change ur password i'll setup your forum for you. for free of course :o.

131131[/snapback]

FANTASTIC! As soon as I figure out how to do that, I'll let you know. LOL!

Suz

Normally you just upload the file into a folder created in /public_html, then you'll need to setup a new MySQL datebase and give full permission for the database to a MySQL user. Then you usually just run a install.php file located somewhere in your forum folder.I'm not too familiar with YaBB, since it uses Perl, I dont know what other procedures you need to do before running.

Tonic set mine up for me over here and I'm thrilled with them. I figured how to ad my Google ads and change my logo. When I get time I want to spiff up the style a little, but there just aren't enough hours in the day.

C'mon over, take a look, and post something. You don't even have to join. Guests can post on these forums.

My Xisto Forums

Suz

Here I'll give u a quick start.

PART A - Setup Databse

1. When you get your account, login to your cPanel.

2. Click on "MySQL Databases"

3. Create a new MySQL database.

4. On the same page create a new MySQL User.

5. After creating a user and database, on the same page give your new user the "ALL" Privileges to your newly created database.

6. Remember your database name and your username and password.

PART B - Install phpBB

1. Download phpBB from https://www.phpbb.com/downloads/

2. Upload this file you downloaded to the /public_html/ folder by using File Manager in cPanel.

3. Now you should see ie. /public_html/phpBB.zip in File Manager.

4. Click on the file then click on i think Extract Content (On the top right corner)

5. Now you should have /public_html/phpBB/ you can always rename this folder to something different.

6. Then go to http://forums.xisto.com (this should be the folder u named)/install/install.php

7. Then just follow the install procedures carefully.

PART C - MISC.

CHMOD - This is the access privileges, phpBB might ask you to change the CHMOD of certain files or folder, you can do this by using File Manager or an FTP Program (I suggest FlashFXP, 30 full trial)

Use your forum as the main page - you'll have to extract all the files in /public_html/phpBB/ into /public_html/. Or you can create a index.html to redirect.

PhpBB2 is in Control panel. Read..

I know a couple of people who have made their own php messageboards from scratch, it seems interesting to make, but I bet there probably lots of flaws, so im not going to take the risk! Idrather stick with my phpBB because at least I know there isnt that many flaws, and if there is one, I get notified my email to upgrade my message boards to the latest one!

After when you get enough credits, you can always upgrade your hosting account to the next package. I would recommend only running one phpBB on the basic package, because it does use a lot of SQL space, not much disk space, but nainly bandwidth, if you have frequent visitors.

Just upload the file into a folder created in /public_html, then you'll need to setup a new MySQL datebase and give full permission for the database to a MySQL user. Then you usually just run a install.php file located somewhere in your forum folder.I'm not too familiar with YaBB, since it uses Perl, I dont know what other procedures you need to do before running.