xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
psychiccyberfreak

How To Setup A Php-nuke Based Site very helpfull

Ok, so you want to have a php nuke site. First of all, what is this "PHP nuke", and why is it so special?

Php nuke is a web portal system. It is expandible, and can be very usefull. You can find an example here. Yes, it is that good.

So, lets take a closer look. It's pre-packaged basic features are:

*forums
*a login system
*weblinks
*downloads
*news
*polls
*faqs
*content

You can allways de-actuvate some features, but it's near-imposible to remove them. Kinda annoying, but you know. Some people may not need phpnuke, or cant have i period. You need:

*some type of database support
*about 80 megs if you have an advanced site
*an apache server

Some people may not need phpnuke. If you have a forum-driven site, you really dont need it. Also, if it's completely content based, then you don't need it anyway. PHP nuke is for people who want content, and input from their visitors.

so, if you still want it, keep reading.

So, let's download php-nuke. I woulden't reccomend getting the latest version, but the one before it. Usually there's a securety hole somewhere. Also, make sure you download the latest patch. It's a big help.

So, to download, select a link:

Latest version of PHPnuke
Nuke patches <choose your version and go to fixes

Ok, follow the install instructions, and configure everything. Make sure ou do NOT edit any files in notepad. Not even the instructions! (it will drive you crazy trying to see the un-identified characters)

now, read the basics manual found here, and learn the basics first.

Next, you want to send a good root down the mineral filled ground called the internet. Add some links, forums, etc. Get settled in.

Next, comes my favorite part, add-ons. Download add-ons to sute your purpose. (anotherwords, if you have a website for your music group, download a mp3 player)

Some good links include:

Nuke scripts
Dispal Designs
php nuke official site
Raven php scripts

Find some of your own, but those are just some of my favorites.

Then, configure the new instalations. Make sure you back EVERYTHING up before you install the new addons, including the database.

Then install. If anything goes wrong, and your site gets messed up, uninstall the addon that is reaping havock, and restore the database.

Advertize, and get new members, and then youre set! make sure you update regularly, and get some good content for the site.

Again, the how to manual is very usefull, I would reccomend it.

again, you can find it here.

If you found this usefull, please give me some reputation.

This tutorial can also be found here, at my site.

Let me elaborate on the database and config.php file setup.Ok, so make a new database by going to cpanel, and name it nuke. Next, create a login for that database. Enter that info into config.php and save it to your server. Next, what you want to do is import the database from phpmyadmin. Under the sql tab, import the tables from the sql file. Then, immidiatly, go to the site and make the admin login. Once you do that, configure the site and test everything.- The difference between installing it in cpanel is that the 7.5 version is more secure, but the 7.6 version on cpanel is less secure, but esyer to install. I still reccomend using 7.5, cuz if your site gets big, your going to try to get hacked. That ain't good.