xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
iGuest

MSN Auto-Spreading Virus

well i can seem to decode this little bugger, and im in no mood to go through and look at the hex, so ill just let someone else reverse hack it ;)

How To Remove the cute.pif Virus From Your Computer

Here is my simple guide on how to remove the virus from your PC, also I have included a short overview of the virus itself.

Overview

*Once you have the virus, it will send the following message to all of your contacts.

"omg this is funny!

(Here would be a link to the the cute.pif file)"

*Once they download the file, it will then send the same message as above to everyone on their contact list. It will also download a worm, called 'W32.Spybot" onto their PC (If you are sending the message above, you may have the worm on your PC to).

*On rare occassions, the program will not download the worm, it will just send the message and file onto your contacts. However, I suggest you act as if you do have the worm.

How To Remove The Virus & Worm

> Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete and look for hotkeysvc. If it's there select it and click on "End Task".

> Use Windows' Search function to locate a file called "hotkeysvc.exe". (Note, there may be a variations on the name, e.g. you may find a file called hotkeysvc********* where * = random characters. This is the same file!) If you find the file delete it (Hold 'Shift' and push 'Delete'.

> Click 'Start' then 'Run' and type 'msconfig' in the box. A new screen will pop up. Click on the tab at the top that says 'Startup'. Search for (it may not be there) the hotkeysvc file or variation of the file name. If you find it there, untick the box next to it.

This will remove the virus and worm from your computer.

Hope this helps everyone.

Let me know what you think!

Hazaa

Thanks for that Hazaa, That will be useful for future reference as i dont have the virus. Theres not much doubt that this will become more popular though..

the only reason its spreading is cause of all these stupid people clicking links and downloading stuff then opening it without even knowing what it is

the only reason its spreading is cause of all these stupid people clicking links and downloading stuff then opening it without even knowing what it is

lol - true, but harsh.

Suprised MS haven't patched it yet.

Thanks for the heads up! ;). I hate MSN sometimes..lol, but sometimes it's the best thing in the world...i'm just crazy lol ;).Kevin Cho - Darker Projects/Pioneer Audio Productions

An easy way to get rid of it is to run AVG virus scan, it will indentify it as a virus and indicate as a red, then all you need to do is delete it frm system 32, thats what I didm but the virus scan does take about 3-5 hours, so you do need some time to make your computer better,It worked a treat, lol I found 4 other viruses which I didn't intend to find!!-Kp Computer Guru