xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
iGuest

Upload Legallity? Is this legal ??

Hey Im pretty sure this is legal but just to make sure so i dont get kicked, I want to upload no-cd game fixes (which are totally legal for people to use and download if you legally obtain and own the full game)Would it be sufficient for me to just shows a notice of the legallit as i said before in brackets before the users hav access to the no-cd fix.???????Or do I need some other sort of disclaimer or something???Please answer admins caus i dont wanna be kicked for illegal downloads or something like that

This can be a pretty controversial topic. On one hand, it may seem perfectly legal to have no-CD patches for games you have lawfully purchased; but on the other, most end-user license agreements/EULA's or equivelant clearly state that the piece of software in question may not under any circumstances be in anyway reverse engineered, or otherwise modified - it is, after all, copyrighted content.I'm not giving the OK at this stage - wait for the root admin's opinion, and we can talk about it then.

yeh i agree. But if people download my no-cd fixes I have done as much as I can to notify them of consequencs of being caught if they dont lawfully own the game. Sites such as game copy world use disclaimers to make their no-cd fixes legal. Which must be agreed upon.Cant I just do the same????

Am not a admin but:Before i said that it could be illegal to upload the no-cd patch. But i consulted with some people.If you upload it and you put a disclaimer on the site you'll have no problem. It's like you warned them, nobody can't say anything or blame you.If you have the disclaimer or something like on your site, thats legal.I don't know if the admins would approve.

Thats what i planed to do (put a disclaimer warming the user before each no-cd fix download).I see no illegality in that, many other legall game sites do the same.Eg GameCopyWorld and GameBurn World

Um yeh I would put them in rar archives, is there limited bandwidth on archive types???If their is i wasn't aware of that and if so how much??Caus i dotn really mind how much bandwidth is used as they range from 100kb to 5mb. I just mainly using no-cd to attract gaming members and provide a cool serviceIm still prepared to waste my bandwidth if i am allowed to host these no-cd fixes

hey admins i am still unsure whether i am allowed to upload no-cd fixes, no one has made a definite decision. I and many others agree that i should be able to if i put a disclaimer before each download. Can admin give advice before i start uploading thesethankx

There are basically two rules which come into consideration :-1> What kind of a downloads they are? Big or small etc...2> Legal issueIf the downloads are small ones which wont have much affect on the servers and which will not affect the BW, it is ok to put those kinda stuff. However, we recommend that you put such files on YAHOO SERVERS and link them via your site. This would be the best safest options. The legal issues and the downloading stuff, some of these rules have been imposed on this site by the host managers and the people with whom I am partnered with. As for the legal issue, put up a NOTICE or thing or a disclaimer which clearly states that the download link is a genunie one and the purpose of it. Also, state clearly, the intented audience. Tell them, it is for those people who already have purchased the orginal game but are obsessed with the changing of CD's now and then.I hope this information is useful.

Just a side note to remind you that the bandwidth on your account is limited - so if you use it all up, your site will not work at all, and there is nothing you can do except wait until the month rolls over and all bandwidth usage stats are reset. Or you can upgrade your package by posting more.So if you put relatively large files in your account and get quite a few downloads, it will be sucked dry pretty quickly.

No these filies use hardly any band width as they are between 50-4000kb If i come across fixes larger then this i will put them on another host, to save you guys bandwidth.I am aware my bandwidth is fixed and will just close down my download section if I find the downloads are being over used (after monitoring my bandwidth via cpanel).I will put a disclaimer infront of each download as admin said no matter where the file is actually hosted.If you are wondering why i wanna host these files on Xisto, its beacuse the other servers i use dont have hotlinking as Xisto does. So i wud rather use Xisto but am prepared to use another file host.Thankx admins!! :( You cud probably close this now.

They themselves (the no-cd patches) arnt illegal but using them on an illegal copy of the game is. Many games try to stop this from happening by releasing updated (patches) if you play online for eg. Battle Net to prevent this. All in all if they are for ligitament purposes they arnt illegal.Although you might want to back yourself up with a good disclaimer (see me for one if u need one)

Oh yeh that would be great genocide. Could you please create or find me a good disclaimer for no-cd fix downloads and post it here. |Thanx alot :(