xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
iGuest

microsoft firewall vs. norton firewall

i installed norton 2005 in windows XP sp2during the installation the norton told me to shut down the firewall in windows.does anyobdy know which firewall works better?

I know which firewall works better - and that would be sygates. Its free and works very well. You can download it HERE

Is this a sport? :lol: I think not .... Maybe you could have posted this in the Software forum.

Microsoft's firewall does not stop all instrusions, and therefore you still need another firewall on top of it. If you have got another firewall on top, it shuld be able to deal with the intrusions which microsoft's firewall prevents, so there is really no need for the MS firewall.

If you get any liceneced firewalls, shut down Microsofts one (it aint that great anyway).Keep the Norton one running. Norton is a good firewall but McAfee is better. However McAfee's anti-virus is crap, use a Norton one. :mrgreen:

Nortons firewall is way better than Microsoft's. Microsoft's is designed to be a basic firewall that will work on all Windows XP systems seamlessly (however it doesnt). Norton Firewall is much more powerful and scalable than Microsofts.

Zone Alarm is ANNOYING OMG! but Sygate is The best because i had a adware.virusthe file name was vgy.exe and so i stop it from being allowed to try to run by using Ctrl + Alt + Delete and ending its process then i removed it

Hi there!.I have tried several AV/Firewall combinations on my XP SP2 system, and after a lot of trial and error (and a few full system restores :cry: ) I found that 2Wire?s firewall at stealth mode plus Norton?s AV and Firewall with MS?s turned off offers a pretty secure connection.(McAffee?s solution seemed too resource hungry)Hope this helps.See ya!! ;)

The best firewalls are Norton and Zone Alarm.

? Zone Alarm is really really sh*t! Don't use it! It blocks everything plus decrease your Internet Speed alot! After i uninstalled it, my speed got back to normal. 800KBps --> 1MBps!

i use zone alarm security suite. it's the best firewall + antivirus combination i found...+ it doesn't slow down my computer. and best of all i can download torrents @ maximum speed. also, it doesn't delay Powerpoint from opening large files like norton did

Microsoft is all basic, and it doesn't even alert you or anything. And it doesn't stop unwanted outgoing traffic.That's why i've used Sygate Personal Firewall. It's free, easy and good.

In my opinion Norton Firewall is better than Microsofts... maybe because I hate Microsoft's products... hehe. I have never had a problem with Norton..

all firewalls mentioned above are good but all have some disadvantages (not sygate's one only) and some of them connect to their companies to see ur habits. Like McAfee. I think that your best bet will be to go for a firewall like Sygate or Outpost. Outpost connects to your computer too but it only does so to see if you have a valid version. It also comes with some extensions like attachment filter ad blocking and some more. There is a personal version and a professional one. Whatever is your choice don't use windows firewall. Just a very basic for the most known attacks. even after sp2 it still sucks. I personnaly believe that they it did *BLEEP* so E.U won't give them another fine.