xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
iGuest

"Harry Potter vs US Army" newspaper article

Harry Potter fights US Army
The Times
February 08, 2005

LONDON: Lawyers acting for Harry Potter author JK Rowling are investigating the US Army over a possible breach of copyright in one of its training manuals.

Preventive Maintenance Monthly is a nine-page publication of instructions for US soldiers on how to take care of their kit. This month it features a colour cartoon strip with striking similarities to Rowling's books.

The thinly disguised references to Rowling's creation include a character called Topper, a boy wizard with floppy hair and glasses like Harry's.

Topper attends Mogmarts School of Magic in England, a turreted castle where the head teacher is Professor Rumbledore (read Hogwarts and Dumbledore). His friends resemble Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger. In the comic strip, US Army officials visit Mogmarts in a camouflaged Humvee to pick up tips on how to look after equipment.

Neil Blair, Rowling's lawyer, confirmed the magazine was being investigated.

"As you would expect, both JK Rowling and Warner Bros (which produced the films) take protection of their property rights very seriously," Mr Blair said.

The Alabama-based manual's editor, Ken Crunk, said: "The drawings do not look like any of the characters from Harry Potter. We are very careful when we do these things not to copy images because that would be illegal."

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nocookies

"The drawings do not look like any of the characters from Harry Potter. We are very careful when we do these things not to copy images because that would be illegal."

I've seen those images and to me they look quite alike.

I just copied the story so I dont know what they look like or not... where did you see them? I just thought it was funny because everything in the article was such an obvious rip off and he says copying the images would be illigal, it was so dumb to say it was funny I just liked it thats all :D

Army has gun.... lots..Run Rowling.. RUUUUN!But seriously. How can anyone sue the Army? After all they do, they get this?Rowling should be proud that her material (or something close to her material) is being used to train soldiers, or at least entertain them.I would be ashamed to sue US army for such a thing.>edited name<

Army has gun.... lots..
Run Tolken.. RUUUUN!

But seriously. How can anyone sue the Army? After all they do, they get this?
Tolken should be proud that her material (or something close to her material) is being used to train soldiers, or at least entertain them.

I would be ashamed to sue US army for such a thing.

Umm...Tolkien wrote Lord of the Rings. Rowling wrote Harry Potter. Just thought you might like to know.

Its not her material thats entertaining the troops. Its a rip off. And its a pretty clear rip off too, and i dont read Harry Potter or watch the movies, but I know enough that its a jip and she should be angry.