xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
iGuest

XP System Restore

You are now stuck dude. You better hope the restore discs that come with your computer don't check the bios to ensure your not using the discs on a non-manufacturer computer. If they do, you will have to buy XP again. LOL. Normally they use the GUID (Globally Unique Identifier) so, you should be OK.

WTF?? Some of the suggestions here are so crap! Remove the motherboard - from a laptop?!? U crazy? Take the battery out -this will reset the bios?? I think not!I have loads of CD but they are at my other house, will get them over the weekend. I think it was my McAfee being gay, I think it removed a system file when clearing up some spyware.Windows boots, so I know it aint BIOS - all I wanted to know was it possible to role back windows, BIOS flash was from manufactures website, so no probs there.Anyway, thanks to the people with the useful advice, to the others i suggest you never ever try to fix your own PC!YayBye

WTF?? Some of the suggestions here are so crap!  Remove the motherboard - from a laptop?!? U crazy?  Take the battery out  -this will reset the bios??  I think not!
I have loads of CD but they are at my other house, will get them over the weekend.  I think it was my McAfee being gay, I think it removed a system file when clearing up some spyware.

Windows boots, so I know it aint BIOS - all I wanted to know was it possible to role back windows, BIOS flash was from manufactures website, so no probs there.

Anyway, thanks to the people with the useful advice, to the others i suggest you never ever try to fix your own PC!

Yay

Bye

I build PC's, I'm fully qualified. no reason to be rude to people who are trying to help. :roll:

I can boot windows?!?! It's just that I need to roll back because a lot of system files went missing.Not to be rude - but there are some people here I wouldn't trust a toaster with.Have picked up all my softwar (am at my other house today) and will be re-installing 2night.

Do you have a floppy boot disk? (old Windows versions' boot disks work too)...if so, start that, then when the help file pops up, get rid of it so that you have a screen that says A:>... type in scanreg /restore that should open system restore

lol - floppy drive. My laptop don't have one. Anyway I have the situation sorted, just backed up everything on to DVD and formated my computer. Runs quicker now 2

lol - floppy drive. My laptop don't have one. Anyway I have the situation sorted, just backed up everything on to DVD and formated my computer. Runs quicker now 2

Yeah me too no floppy drive and im on a desktop.

And i hope you sorted the prob out

Floppy Drives are still important even though they're old technology. I suggest you buy an external floppy for your computer. Doesn't cost more then $10 if bought at the right place.

:shock: :shock: I don't even know where to start with this.... err

You flashed the Bios.... uh-oh. 

there should be a 2 pin jumper on a 3 pin node on the mobo. turn the pc off (obviously) and take the jumper out and move it one pin up. then remove it again and put it back. 

This will reset your bios.

Naah. Just unplug your computer, take a screwdriver, jently remove the bios batarey, hold the screwdriver for a fiew seconds at the age of the space where the batarey was(the metal one), put the batary back and restart. If the problem is in bios, it should help.

umm... both great suggestions if you change your CMOS settings and mess something up .. however guys if you flash your bios and it causes a problem neither of those will work. because they are just restoring the CMOS settings to default factory settings... flashing the bios is a permanent thing. If done wrong or there is an error you need a new bios chip from the manufacturer. (unless your motherboard has a dual-bios)

now back to the original problem lol. From my experience when your system restore won't work it is because of corrupt restore files. They can be caused by a virus that u cleaned out but wasn't removed from the restore files (because they are locked) or a spyware/malware removal program etc. The fresh install was your only route to do what u needed. Glad to hear u got it fixed. Thought I'd post even though its fixed cause when people give out advice like that it kinda scares me :D

try restarting and then hold down f8 and it will give u a list of options and one if them is system restore or restore to last know good config but its the same as system restore

OK - The problem is fixed.Talk about making a mountain out of a mole hill. "Crazy people with their BIOS theories".To Fix Problem: Wack XP CD in drive > Boot > Click On Recover An Exisisting Instalation > Install Windows Over Windows > Works!