xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
jacob

Best Processor company?

Best Processor company?  

58 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Intel is best for PC proccessor (with best software support).If only proccessor hardware is concerned, AMD is as good as Intel.But it cann't provide good enough software support.So it's performance is limited.

AMD has much shorter pipelines than Intel which means that AMD can do more cycled per clock, this is why AMD's clock speeds are only around 2Ghz while Intel's are really fast. Intel has longer pipelines so it requires a much faster clock speed. This is why AMD can get the same beches when its only at 2Ghz and Intel is at 3.2Ghz. But Intel's processors have a bigger cache at 512KB-2MB while AMD's best processor has only 1MB. So I think its true that AMD is slightly better for gaming while Intel is good ar word processing, E-mail, and web browsing. I have a Intel 3Ghz myself.

Intel is better but money are my favorite performance so I vote for A M D :P

AMD has much shorter pipelines than Intel which means that AMD can do more cycled per clock,  this is why AMD's clock speeds are only around 2Ghz while Intel's are really fast.  Intel has longer pipelines so it requires a much faster clock speed.  This is why AMD can get the same beches when its only at 2Ghz and Intel is at 3.2Ghz.

I didn't know that. Every day I learn something new :P.
But really, this arguement is useless. These processors seem to be so closely matched, and it's hard to prove which one is truely superior. As long as it gives me great performance I don't care. BTW, I have an AMD.

Tsk, Tsk, Tsk! Doesn't anybody here know that AMD is responsible for 64-bit processing happening? And if you plan to go 64 with Longhorn, no matter what brand you go with, the main infrastructure will be the same. See, it's like this, Intel overclocks it's stuff from the factory, that's why you get 3.2 ghz with 800mhz fsb. AMD keeps it real, and does it more solidly. This is why, when the 64 race started, and AMD was already ahead of the game by setting the standard for 64-bit processing, Microsoft told Intel they had to go off of what AMD had already accomplished. LOL. Now Intel has lost the lead, but continues to hold up numbers thanks to companies like gateway, dell, and compaq.And about the processor test where they ran quake 3, and removed the heatsink... Yeah, the problem with the AMD prolly lied within the mobo, and not the processor. ASUS has whats known as C.O.P. CPU Overheat Protection, so it woulda shut off before the flames showed up, and the CPU would prolly still be okay.If it's not apparent, I voted AMD!

AND SUCKS FOR EVERYTHING, MAY IT ONLY WINS BECAUSE ITS LESS COSTLYINTEL RULES IN EVERYTHING, ITS FASTER, IT HAS A BETTER FSB, AND MORE STABLE.AND THE 64 BIT AMD SUCKS. MY FRIEND HAS IT, HE AUTIONED IT ON EBAY, AND BOUGHT A INTEL PROSCESSOR!

AND SUCKS FOR EVERYTHING, MAY IT ONLY WINS BECAUSE ITS LESS COSTLYINTEL RULES IN EVERYTHING, ITS FASTER, IT HAS A BETTER FSB, AND MORE STABLE.
AND THE 64 BIT AMD SUCKS. MY FRIEND HAS IT, HE AUTIONED IT ON EBAY, AND BOUGHT A INTEL PROSCESSOR!

Might I suggest, if you intend to flame someone, try using appropriat grammar. Secondly, there's no need to make an entire post in all caps. And I'm sorry your friend wasn't pleased with his 64, but does he know enough about the system he built that it could support all the 64 had to offer? Also, IMO, Intel hasn't made anything decent since the PIII.

AND SUCKS FOR EVERYTHING, MAY IT ONLY WINS BECAUSE ITS LESS COSTLYINTEL RULES IN EVERYTHING, ITS FASTER, IT HAS A BETTER FSB, AND MORE STABLE.
AND THE 64 BIT AMD SUCKS. MY FRIEND HAS IT, HE AUTIONED IT ON EBAY, AND BOUGHT A INTEL PROSCESSOR!

Erm...

Actually, mhz for mhz, AMD wins out. You have to also remember that AMD is now on the numbering system and 2700 (for example) doesn't actually run at 2.7 ghz, it runs at 2.1-2.2... but performs similarly to a 2.7 ghz Intel.

I don't know where you get this "more stable crap", it's true the K6's were crap back in the days of win 98/win me... but in a win2k/winxp environment, I've found that both intels and amds tend to be on par.

It is true that AMD is more costly, but it's starting to edge up on intel in price. What's really limited AMD in the past have been crappy chipsets, and I'll give it to intel, their ide interfaces rule. I had a p3 1ghz with an intel chipset and it had great hard drive access speeds... but unfortunately, via is the mainstream chipset for intel, and it tends to *BLEEP*. NVIDIA's chipsets are much better.

Intel is the company, pentium is the cpus they make...

Nobody knows about Transmeta, the company Linus Torvalds works for (think he still does) they make reprogrammable CPUs, so you can upgrade your CPU with a firmware flash downloaded from the company webpage ;) ...well, theoretically...