xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Zenchi

New Computer (custom) Eh?

I plan on buying a new computer for christmas..Only problem is, I can't find any good preconstructed ones. :P I want something about 1,000$. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had a link to a nice website where you can custom-build your PC?P.S. Penteium 4 or Other? (I want the fastest and stablest. :lol:)

i have no links for ya but.. i would suggest dont get an Athlon if u want stabilty ( my uncle who owns a comp shop said somthing about this ) depends on what u really want it for... like games, work what?for Games i would say P4 and for work go for a celeron cause there cheaper and only a little bit slower than a P4..

depends on what u really want it for... like games, work what?
for Games i would say P4 and for work go for a celeron cause there cheaper and only a little bit slower than a P4..

Erm, I should've added something.

Price is somewhat irrelavant, as this is to last me for 4 years. (Little more price is a little bit nicer.)

I dont know where you live, but if you are around the bay area, ca. Go to FRY's, they have the best sale!! I remember half a year ago they had a P4 with ECS mb(crappy but do-able) for only $100 bucks.

The reason they dont know jack *BLEEP* is cuz most of them dont even know whats on sale that day , until their supervisor give them a list of stuff and they make copies of it in their own handwriting. I went down there so many times, and I would have to show them the newspaper itself before they cheap their handwritten list and realize its on sale. Fry's sale changes like every 1-2 days... You just always have to be on it and get it right away, or youll be too late.

i have no links for ya but..
i would suggest dont get an Athlon if u want stabilty ( my uncle who owns a comp shop said somthing about this )

depends on what u really want it for... like games, work what?

for Games i would say P4 and for work go for a celeron cause there cheaper and only a little bit slower than a P4..

Hmmm....that's interesting,

I would say that an Athlon is great value for money and I've not had any problems with stability on Athlon-runned computers so far.
I have two systems I've put together running on an Athlon and one is 4 years old, the other is 1 year old. My friend who regularly builds computers for people also chooses Athlons over Pentiums - for it's value for money.

So far, all our Athlon computers have run just fine! No instability issues whatsoever(that is due to the CPU that is...Windows and other apps you have running is another thing).

What is definitely true is that Athlon CPUs tend to heat up faster and higher than Intel chips (read this at Tom's hardware or something similar). So, if you don't have adequate cooling, then you'll get stability issues - otherwise you're good to go.

Like I said earlier, my Athlon systems have been just fine and I didn't have to go crazy with cooling, just the normal and usual number of fans in the case, and it's fine!

cheers.

The Athlons have a much much better FPU than intel cpus.P4s are currently faster.With the debut of Athlon 64, you have a totally new technology at hand, but Windows doesn't support it... yet (but if you want linux on it, the best cpu to get by far)Keep in mind that the current sockets used with both Intel and AMD are going to be phased out soon. AGP is also getting replaced by PCI-Express. So if you buy a comp now, you won't be able to upgrade it in a years time.If using WinXP, I would go with a P4 Hyperthreading cpu, 1gb of ram.If using linux, I would go with an Athlon64 3000+ with 1gb ramBut realistically, I would wait for the new Athlon64 sockets to come out together with PCI-Express motherboards, so that it can be a little more futureproof.I'm in Canada, so I can't recommend anything other than canadacomputers.com! :(

I'm pretty sure right now I'm using an PCI-Express.. So, I'm glad when I see that. I really don't care if I can't upgrade it in a year or two, by then I'll buy a new Processor and Motherboard. :(

I would suggest a combo/mix of frys and newegg. I would suggest an AMD, prolly like a 3200+, which u could prolly get 4 hecka cheapo!Video card is and ram is what really bought up my price, spent 350 and 200 respectively, gotta have good ram tho if u want top performance... HDs r important 2, thats where frys comes in, 160gb ide hd's for sometimes as low as 70bux..... heckkkk yaaaa!Edit:i wouldnt worry 2 much about pci express, since u can still get alot of pci stuff..... if u want expandability tho, u might wanna get a pci xpress mobo..... it'll prolly end up costing u more tho...

I would suggest, if you want the best for your money, just buying the parts and assembling it yourself, then you can use things like case, PSU, case fans, optical drives, as spares in a new computer, or use some instead of buying new parts.If you buy the parts separately (or just dont customize a pre-made model) you can choose from a much larger range, as when you custom build a pre-made model, the quality is set, for instance, if you want to buy a compute for music, so you want a good sound card, but you dont care about graphics, you would have to buy an expensive model, and end up with an expensive GPU etc, just to get the sound card.There are numerous guides on the net, to buying and assembling a custom built PC, and, in the end, its cheaper - you dont pay for what you dont need, or for assembly, or for the name. And it runs the way you want it to, because you dont have to buy good everything, just to get one part that is above the standard of the rest.Now, everything is made so that it iis easy to assemble, so anyone can build a computer!

before buying a new computer check the brand and also if you want a computer for gaming then please waste some bucks buying a latest geforce card because it will give a new gaming experience and also dont forget to get a big hdd i mean hard disk with high capacityand also after buying check all the cd's offered by comapny for freeyou should also have an 2gb ram with 3.0 ghz processor then i m sure you will enjoy playing latest games