xisto Community
iGuest

What do you prefer: Windows or Linux?

Hello!!I'm an amateur in computers.I gained an computer this year and it comes with WINDOWS XP.But my friend told me that the Linux is better than Windows.Is it true??

Hello!!
I'm an amateur in computers.

I gained an computer this year and it comes with WINDOWS XP.
But my friend told me that the Linux is better than Windows.
Is it true??

What do you mean by "better"? If you want to learn and not install Linux, I would recommend getting any of the live CD's. Knoppix is good, SuSE has a live CD, Mepix, etc. There are quite a few live cd distros. Then, you can decide for yourself which is "better", what ever that means.

I agree with SweetLou-- try out a livecd (Knoppix is nice) and see if it suits you. My home servers all run Debian right now, I might try Gentoo sometime. My main computer, though, has XP on it because of compatibility (my wireless card isn't supported in Linux), support, and my family would get mad when trying to use my computer if they were lost. I'm thinking of using Mepis or similar some time when I don't have wireless internet on this computer.

linux is more for experienced users, it's not easy to use, install software is a little bit difficult... but it's safer though....while windows... every body knows how to use it.... as a good learning curve... and so on...i prefer xp....

Hey, you can also try the Ubuntu live n installation cds (the live cds will let you try linux without installing anything.)i am currently using windows only for games and a program or two i could get to work with wine (windows emulator).....if you want to have just a desktop machine, try mandrake. its easy to install n maintain. good also for entry level users....good luck

I'm using Windows XP and SuSE 9.2 Linux Dual booting because games dont run on linux... there is a program called cedega that claims to run them on linux...Linux rules dudes, and if you havent tried it, its time to. Its a real OS...Come on game companies, get with it and produce games for linux and i will be happy... that way i will leave xp to burn :twisted:

He is asking what to use,not wad u all are running.Linux is a little more powerful and has a GUI,X Windows.It's not exactly safe,but because most virus attacks are targeted at Windows,Linux is seen as safe.There are not much programs for linux....But on the plus side,you can run something like Windows for free!Use Centos with it's built in X Windows system...But u wouldn't be able to run most windows programs