xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
iGuest

Copyright on Websites

I am in the process of writing the pages for my website and need some advice on copyright from other sites. I found some information that I want to use on my site concerning a topic on another site. If I use the some of the information that I found on that site for mine do I need to reference that site or get permission to use it? I appreciate you feedback.

if the other site has a copyright on it (99% does) than you will need to get their permission to use the content. Send the webmaster an e-mail and hold your fingers crossed. Using the content without their permission is illegal....

This website doesn't seem to have a clear copyright on it. I would just use the info and send them an e-mail, just in case, to say that you are using there information. If you are not selling the info or are using it for non-commercial use they shouldn't mind. So I qwould basically suggest to use it and send them a thank-you note.

There are people who just copy entire stories of other sites without changing a word to get a good website. :cry: That's not a good option, even if they use a copyright (not often).But if you think you can explain the same content better or add some stuff or make it a lot shorter or just change a lot of it, then it's totally different. It just depends on what you are going to do with that content. If I were you, I would search for other sites with the same topic and make a compilation from all the information you get. As long as you don't copy-paste, there will be no problem. If you want to be really sure, put under your article some links to the resources, then they will certainly not complain.

i would agree with tinus, as well as adding in a link/reference to them on your page using it. at least a footnote of some sort. they are more likely to be co-operative that way

how do you copywrite a site?So far ive just been writing on it at the bottom that its copywrited... cos i havnt bothered with actually copywriting it...i guess im not allowed the lie about it though right?

check http://www.copyright.gov/ (if you are in the US), but about sites, check this

quoting circular 66 from the US Copyright Office,

Copyright protects original authorship fixed in tangible form. 17 U.S.C. sec. 102(a). For works transmitted online, the copyrightable authorship may consist of text, artwork, music, audiovisual material (including any sounds), sound recordings, etc. Copyright does NOT protect ideas, procedures, systems, or methods of operation. 17 U.S.C. sec. 102(B).

So, you can copyright all the content of your site, but not the actual method that it is made in. Put simply, you can copyright your content, graphics, video/sound(streaming or otherwise) but you cant copyright the actual source code for the formatting

Of course you have to pay for the copyright as well. There is however a free way of doing it where you photocopy your pages, and mail them to yourself(it has something to do with the Feds).

jfb130 I would suggest if it's just a artical you want to copy and put on your site,is to make sure you give the author credit and it should'nt be a problem. Maybe even post a link to the original artical.