xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
iGuest

Linux advice

I am a linux "noob" as well. I just installed the new red hat "fedora core 3" and found it very easy to set up. I chose it because of the "64 bit" version. Hoping to optimize my new 64 bit 3200+ athlon It also comes with (as im sure most others do) a great boot loader called grub. Install windows first as when u install linux the boot loader will find both os's then. To set up the dual boot just pick the one you use more and away u go. You have a few seconds every time you turn on your computer to press a button to load the secondary OS.hope that helps ya

Wine is not an emulator (WINE). For games, you might want to try WineX. I have never used it, but I hear it is getting pretty good for games, just like Wine though, it still needs work. Codeweaver's CrossoverX is pretty good, it is a commercial version of Wine. The only programs I really want to run in Linux that are Windows is Microsoft's Streets and Trips and IE. Maybe SmartFTP also. I really like SmartFTP but it is too much work trying to get MSI support for Wine, so I have never tried it. Streets and Trips run real slow in Linux, too slow to be really functional for me. So, that only leaves IE. I do have IE running on one Linux box and everything is fine. The right click context menus are slow, but everything else seems to run fine.I did have Office also installed, but I have not installed it on my latest distros, I just use OpenOffice now.What I am trying to say is, that you can get Windows programs to work, but you will also need to put some work into them to get them to work. :? With my experience, there are some really good Windows programs, but you can usually find an Open Source alternative that you will like eventually. With any new program, there are some adjustments, but once you get used to it, you will probably like it.The only thing I haven't been able to find an alternative is Streets and Trips and IE. If I didn't need Streets and Trips, I wouldn't need Windows at all.

i use Red HAT 9 and im very happy with it. i?ve running apache on it and mail server :D and both applications works without problems. not to mention that this version almost equal to windows on the "startup menu" and its funcions.

wine is good.....with some hacks it can run halo......and counterstrike source...hahabut how do i get linux to connect using a wireless card......