xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
iGuest

Stay active

Here's an idea for a script. No posts in [n] days, say 14, gets an email warning and puts the member on a warning list we can all see. If a buddy is on it, we have a chance to help them out - say if we know they'll be gone for a while but coming back etc. If no reply and no buddy helpout for [n] days, say 14 - maybe a 48 hr warning then - kicked.Another script should go along with this that you could extend the warning period for yourself for [n] days, say 14 so you could go for a month.The problem is here that 'Hi' would count as a post every [n] days to disable this system. It still takes peeps, like mods to overlook everything and make some judgement calls. Since we can all see each other's posts it's easy for members to notice what's going on too. :twisted: The main thing is to watch out, whatever we do that we are not trying to set up a new mini police state for a bulletin board. :P :shock: :shock:

Thanks sandman, you saved me a lot of my time ! :PAs for the script, what about the XP/HP/MD mod for phpBB instead ?Supposedly, the HP should reflect the "quality" of the post, in term of number of characters... And it could give a new impulse to the forum !

I agree with Whizz and Infraid (ie. the moderation/admin team).I believe that as of now there is no need to set any specific limits. It makes sense enough to me. It would seem that the ones wanting a specific limit to be set are the ones that would then work to fill that criteria so they wouldn't get banned. And now as they have no set limits, they arent sure how much effort they have to put into it to fake activeness. Well, not fake as such, but it's just activeness to retain the account. Not a "real" activeness to my mind.Do correct me if i'm wrong.

Dear Infraid

As it is right now the category of a member is measured by the number of posts. ***censored***. Thus, some people, in order to climb in the ladder of member's category post a lot. This is to say that they do not work to help the community, they work for an indicator, the number of posts. 

What I wanted to mean is precisely that the indicator of number of posts could lead to spam. :P

a potential solution to the activiy question could be to add a points/store modification in which each user with hosting needs to periodically (for example every 3 months) purchase a "renewal" for their account, and can, if they need to, purchase a few in advance if they need to be away for a while

i was a active member of the old server, i could not access it several days ago. now i'm coming. lol~~~

~ so how come your post count indicates 2 ? ~ Infraid

i was active on the old server, but didn't log in again untill today.

you'll see it after several days.

dude you arent helping yurself with those kinds of posts ...............

(i think im not helpin myself 2 with that post :P)

Post interesting conversation worthy topics and maybe more people will have an incentive to post.

lol dude there isnt enough forums for you ???

They praticly make a forumm for everything, and since you think all topics are lame, just use your "super smartness" and build a nice post that u will love !! I mean somethin that interest you!!

i was active on the old server,  but didn't log in again untill today.

you'll see it after several days.

Switching server hasn't reset your post count... :roll:

Are you trying to fool me ?

I just meant that more than 60% of the people have no more than 3 posts, including 1 request! That's like being on vacation the whole year. I think if you have 100 posts and you go on holiday for a few weeks, noone will ever remove your account, but if you have two posts after a few months, they will certainly delete you.

What lazy bastards

~ split topic, one part goes to the Flames here ~ Infraid

Berserker - I am in this 60% people, that have only few posts. Of course i am new here but watching, reading and trying. :wink:

but i think like drexlar that means:

Fortunately, FNH does not request a predefined number of posts to assign a Free Web Hosting. Which is very nice and a confirmation that , as many of you say, the number of posts does not tell anything. It could happen that a member post not as much as the average but when this person does it, posts a quality article.

It is the fact that not everyone know how to write / read in English. Why that must discriminate us / them? [/b]

It is the fact that not everyone know how to write / read in English. Why that must discriminate us / them? [/b]

Well.... if you can't read English, then there's no way you could get your account, since you'd have to read the rules to follow the procedure...

That said, if you can't write in English, there's always a way to translate your original message into english by the means of (online) translators... :roll:
You know, my natural language is French (and you should know Frenchy are really bad at speaking other languages), but I can still manage to be understood by others...

The word 'Active ' should be defined with clear boundaries....... when I say boundary i mean lines, when I mean lines I mean number of post per week, or per day.... etc...  :P

Thats right it should be but not so shortly. e.i. 10 posts per 3 months it is resonable. One week/day!! will make people to put spam as they "reson du etre".

It must be an solution, mayby

... if theres no new posts an email is sent to the person asking what is going on and giving them one more month to reply. Another email should be sent when there is a week left, just in case. And then, thats account deleted. Two months is quite a while to post something about a snooker game or something, anything.

And what you say about that not everyone know how to write in English. Why that must discriminate them if they are very good programmers, webmasters, students from another countries? I think that this community should help them. (i'm in similar situation :wink: i cannot find free host with cgi/sql in poland)
Mayby by making forums for foreign languages such as polish, russian, afghan, or one separed multilanguage forum where they can exchange informations in natural language.

Infrad ... im think that i missed something. You posted when i was taping that answer.
... Translators arent quite inteligent :/. [try double conwersion from french->english->fernch]
... Yes im understand the idea - forum must be practicall, that why is in english.