xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Shackman

Chinese Sword Fighting Novels (Wu Xia Xiao Shuo)

I don't know if this is allowed in the forum, because its Chinese orientated. But never the less, let me make this post.Do anyone of you read Chinese Swordplay Novels? I find them very interesting. Some titles are Legend of the Condor Heroes(She Diao Ying Xiong Juan), Return of the Condor Heroes(Shen Diao Xia Lu) and Duke of Mount Deer. All there are written by Mr. Jin Yong, though there are other authors as well but Mr. Jin Yong is one of the most famed ones.There are many other titles but as they are in Chinese and its quite hard to give an exact translation of its name, e.g (Xiao Au Jiang Hu) and so on. But since this is an English forum, I won't write any Chinese characters. Just to repeat my question, anyone reads Chinese Swordplay Novels? If so, we could share an interesting discussion about it.My favourite is Return of the Condor Heroes. What about you guys? If you guys want, I can post a short synopsis about Return of The Condor Heroes here.

Please do! B) I've heard of the Condor Heroes (I just don't know if it's Legend or the Return). I found it once in an anime channel, but I didn't watch it since I thought it wasn't good... :D (What I like about Chinese literature though is the Three Kingdoms! Shu, Wei and Wu if I'm not mistaken :P )

The one you found in the anime channel is probably just 'Condor Hero', it is based on The Return of the Condor Hero.

I wrote an article about it in my forum sometime ago. For all those who want to know about the anime series, do visit this link:

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

My forum has lots of nice stuff and do post and express your views when you are free.

Basically, the Legend of the Condor Heros is about a man named Guo Jing and women named Huang Rong. They were acuainted when Huang Rong palyed a begger and begged Guo Jing for a free meal. Guo Jing not only let Huang Rong order what she liked, but he also gave Huang Rong his fur coat(at that time, a fur coat was worth alot!) and his horse.(Guo Jing's horse was no ordinary horse, there is a history behind this horse)

Because of this, Huang Rong was very touched and soon the duo fell in love. Huang Rong was quick-witted but Guo jing was slow and 'not so smart'. However, Guo Jing is a very kind, gentle, generous and upright person. Huang Rong, on the other end, was playful, lacks compassion(about the incident where she set a trap for a stone to crush Ou Yang Ke and some other incidents) and naughty.

After many incidents that tested their love for each other, they finally became husband and wife!

This story is a very interesting tale and is a must read for all Chinese Swordplay Novel fans(Wu Xia Xiao Shuo Mi).

-Shackman

err dude, Romance of the 3 kingdoms is not a sword fighting novel, its a historical novel. of the join yong series i prefer semi-god and semi-devil (Tian Long Ba Bu) the level of kung fu power is the most insane amonge all the jin yong novel

i was wonderin, are any of you guys chinese? heh thats off topic srywell my brother reads all kinds of chinese novels (most of them are like the ones you mentioned). the text is printed in classic style where you have to read up and down... ;)

Damn, I wish I had a Samurai Sword.That'd be cool, More fun than reading about them. :D

"Samurai Sword" is books of japanese ! I have been reading very much novel of chinese style "swordplay novels" and i really like them ! :D

These are so popular that there are even English translations, but I haven't found time to read..I've watched a lot of the TV dramas that were adapted from Jin Yong's story so I guess I know the stories pretty well, but just not sure whether how accurate each one is, as each adaptation likes to add/change little things.

Does anyone know where I can find a translated copy of the book legend of the condor hero!! I'm up to chapter 27 and would like to know where I could find the remaining chapters!! if someone happens to have a complete copy of the novel please email me at robert_chan21 atyahoo-ghelo

I want to find,xiao shuo!!

Chinese Sword Fighting Novels

I want<qi xiao long>number 3(shui long),number 4(huo long),number 6 and number 7.Please help me to find!

-reply by trophyn

wu xiaChinese Sword Fighting Novels

um.. I think when we speak of chinese swordplay novel, the best by jin yong is ( siao-go-kanguow aka smiling proud wanderer ) and ( dragon sabre & heavenly sword ). Both novel are trully display the most authentic and marvellous sword technique. Most of the fighting skill in condor heroes and the return of condor heroes are based on qigong and hand to hand technique. Only the hero (  yang guo, xiao long nu and quan zen sect ) use sword while guo jing always use his 18 dragon conquering fist.

-reply by myuno

Where can u find ENGLISH Translations!?! I'm struggling to find any!! Wanna read all 3 Jin Yong novels If anyone knows...Can u send me the link Please?  That'd be much appreciated

Correction, The Legend of the Condor Hero focus more towards Yang Guo and Xiao Long Niu hence the Chinese name Shen Diao (Condor) refers to Yang Guo & Xia Niu (Swordwoman) refers to Xiao Long Niu, combine together called Shen Diao Xia Niu = Legend of the Condor Hero.

Br/Dan