xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
mizako

Read-only Folders In Xp Cant change Read-Only attribute in XP

Hi,I am working with a firma. We use WinCvs which is a software similar to perforce. I downloaded the developement to C: (eg. c:/development)The folder c:/development and the folders under it have Read-Only permisions. I need to remove that restriction. I press right-button, i unchecked the read-only check-box and i apply to this folder and folders under it. Whe it finisehd i click ok. Whe i press the right button again i discovered that the folder has still the read-only attribute. So it seems nothing changed. something similar happen to you?How can i uncheck the the read-only box forever?I really freak out about this permissions problem. Yes, i am administrator. Thanks a lot for your secure feeback.

I discoverd that all the folders in my computer have the rea-only permision checked. What is happening?. I went to control panel to make me sure and yes i am administrator. What can i do?. There should be one configuration in XP that i have wrong.Please help.

Try starting up your computer in safe mode by pressing F8 on the startup screen (before the Windows XP logo). Then try to change it to not read-only and restart your computer in regular mode. Tell me if this works, and if it doesn't I'll try to think of something else.

Hi mizako,The admin permissions for file access is one of the "bugs" (i think I remember reading) that MS attempted to "fix" with SP2. You can check(search) at the MS website for patches/upgrades etc. related to KW search "file access" or possibly "file permissions" etc. I'm not a fan of their search utility because it's so limited re: you must know the exact terminology to search for though but maybe you can fins it there.Hope this helps,RGPHNX

Read only means nothing at all important. It means you can't copy it to another folder but you can cut it and then move it.

If you have simple file sharing enabled, that might cause a bit of a problem also. To turn of simple file sharing, go into an explorer window, choose Tools. Folder Options. Go to the views tab, and scroll to the bottom and uncheck Use Simple File Sharing. Let me know if that works.

acutally its got something to do with SMB signing, this is related to SP1 which has been fixed in SP2. i dont know of any other solution to this problem, but if you do know of any, please let me know,Tariq

It does not depend of the sharing software that i use (i tried with it not activated) and i have also installed Service Pack 2. I discovered that all my friends have also read-only box checked in the folders of their XP OS. I do not know exactly what that means maybe you also have. At the end the problem was that i had some files with read-only permisions (but i could remove this restricition in files, not in folders). So i could do what i wanted. By the way thanks for your quickly answers and your clarifying ideas.

Actually File Permissions Are Rather Important

Read-only Folders In Xp

Replying to spawn_syxx9 "Read Only" means nothing can write to the file, this may include a database flat file that some program is attempting to access to store data. In cases where that program is a "virus" then having the file read only is pretty important (so it means something) and in cases where that program is *actually* something useful (I know its hard to imagine programs in windows passing this filter but..) it is rather important as well the program is allowed to write its data to the file.

-reply by TravisBarker

Problem in copying folders

Read-only Folders In Xp

When I right click a folder and choose copy (or cut) option and paste it to another location

(in same drive or another) Igot copied only the Folder icon with name not the data inside it.

What should I do to fix the problem?

Please mail me your views -

-reply by munnabhai

my My Documents folder is now Read Only, and attempts to change it have no effect.

Read-only Folders In Xp

My Documents on my XP Pro Desktop has been made Read Only. This is a problem for me, because it prevents me from modifying my WMP, from modifying the files inside My Documents (as a graphic artist and author, that's kind of important), and copying/moving things.

I can get around it with cut and paste, but that doesn't help my WMP, and I feel a little ashamed that I have to ask this question, being a Techy myself.

I have attempted safe mode, but even THAT will not allow me to right click and turn Read Only off. Help?

-reply by godmode0110

my My Documents folder is now Read Only, and attempts to change it have no effect.

Read-only Folders In Xp

I just had similar problem with external disk after installing xp in new machine. All files and folders in ext.Disk became readonly.

So many things were tried but I think what worked is:-

In Windows Explorer showing the file/folder in question, goto Tools->Folder Option->View,then

- unclik 'Display simple folder view...'

- click 'Use simple file sharing (Recommended)'

- click "Apply" then "OK" then change the attribute of the file in question.

Sure hope it works for you.

-reply by pete