xisto Community
shigajet

Fav Movie...from The 80's Whats your favourite movie - from the 80s?

Hi again!

I'm sure there are some of you out there who grew up durng the 1980's - a time of style over substance, computers began to become popular (remember the Commodore 64?), hair bands dominated the airwaves, and Pac-Man was the king of the arcade games...

..which brings me to the topic of movies. What's your favourtie movie rom the 80's? The ones that stood out in my mind were the John Hughes films - like The Breakfast Club, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Weird Science and Sixteen Candles.

How about you? What were some of your favourites from the 80's?

Oh, John Hughes...haha.I liked Ferris Bueller's Day Off (I own it on DVD--great feel-good flick!), and I found Sixteen Candles somewhat enjoyable because Farmer Ted is the exact replica of a kid in my school, but in my own opinion, the definitive 80's movie had to be Platoon. Maybe it's just because I'm a war movie buff, but either way, it's a great film and deserves all the recognition it has gotten over the years. Oliver Stone uses first-hand experience to create a stunning piece of cinema. Great movie, highly recommended.

Oh, John Hughes...haha.

I liked Ferris Bueller's Day Off (I own it on DVD--great feel-good flick!), and I found Sixteen Candles somewhat enjoyable because Farmer Ted is the exact replica of a kid in my school, but in my own opinion, the definitive 80's movie had to be Platoon. Maybe it's just because I'm a war movie buff, but either way, it's a great film and deserves all the recognition it has gotten over the years. Oliver Stone uses first-hand experience to create a stunning piece of cinema. Great movie, highly recommended.

71289[/snapback]

Never got to see Platoon (shame on me, I guess.) I was more into the comedies at that time - particularly the high school movies. Oh well, guess I'll catch it when I have the opportunity.

God knows I'm gonna really show my geeky side with this, but I'd have to say I love Labyrinth, Legend, The Last Unicorn and fantasy stuff like that, though the Star Trek Movies and Back to the Future Trilogy were both really good series. Oh, yeah, and the Karate Kid ones...geez, remembering all these old movies I still have copies of somewhere.

besides some of the ones already listed, i would like to nominate the Goonies. That movie is classic 80's. I also wonder why no one has mentioned the Star Wars movies. I guess it doesn't include episode 4 becuase it came out in 1977, but episode 5,6 came out in 1980, and 1983 (if I remember correctly). Then there is Indiana Jones. I guess I am a Lucas fan. Finally, my last nomination is Rain Man. So many movies from the 80's are good. Feel free to disagree with my selection.