xisto Community
guangdian

What Doz The Mean Of ...newbie & Freebie

Haha, I don't really know how to explain it to you...I guess you have to be speaking fluent English for years before you can truly understand it.Basically, you can remove the last three letters, "bie", and the word will still make sense. The only difference between the two terms is that "freebie" is a noun and "newbie" can be a noun and an adjective:Freebie - Oooh, nice. You earned a freebie to the game.Newbie - Let's all point and laugh at the newbie. - nounNewbie - Feel free to ask newbie questions at this forum - adjective.:)

If you are new to computers or to making websites, or new to a particular BBS, you are a "newbie" and you may ask questions that everyone already knows the answers to.

Well, since I am a newbie to webhosting and Xisto, I have been doing a lot of "aksing" while trying to use this wonderful hosting freebie.But English, I know...and I can answer this one (for a change!)Both terms are jargon. They are used informally. They are not "proper" english. By that, I mean you would not use it in a paper or article or in a professional presentation.A freebie is a free item or thing.A newbie is a novice. A person who is new to something.Any more English questions...I will be glad to help!

Thank you Sunkist.

Now I have a more question ..What is " Dream in a wishful way"

I'd got a lyrics from web.."

i've been dreaming all these days.i've been aching all these daysto try to find a way to stop.i've been waiting all these days.i've been standing all these daysto find it hard to get it through.all i want is a good chancefor we can live underground.all i need is a sharp knifeto cut the tails you are afraid to showall i hear is your endless speechto stuff my ears again and again.all i dream is a wonderful placefor i can build myself a world.dream in a wishful waydream in a wishful way

Now I have a more question ..What is " Dream in a wishful way"

[/code]

71142[/snapback]

The suffix "-ful" means "full of". So, "wishful" means "full of wishes". Therefore, "Dream in a wishful way" means "Dream in a way that is full of wishes". Of course, it doesn't sound as good when you write it that way.

That having been said, I've never heard anyone use that expression.

Then I knew the word" lite" means not heavy..but I don't know what the meaning of lite" in the web pages. Like the [ Lite ] [ Portal ][ General ]what 's that???

In the case of Xisto and a lot of web pages, "lite" refers to a lightweight version of the page. That is, a page that doesn't have as many graphics and such to download, allowing the pages to load faster.

And in regards to the "bie" suffix of newbie and freebie, as I see it, it doesn't really have a meaning. Although, here is one thing I found concerning a similar slang word, "slowbie".

slowbiecontext and source: 'Don't be such a slowbie.' (conversation with suitemate, week of 11/24, 2003)
apparent meaning: a person that isn't very fast, especially when it comes to reaction time in computer and video games. Again, my suitemate was in a technological lingo mode when I was talking to him. This time I was playing a game with him, and he was commenting on my speed and reaction time in the game and how it was slowing him down. Like the word 'newbie', 'slowbie' is a product of a technological lingo type of speech, where the suffix 'bie' can be added to any number words to form 'techie' terms. I've also heard this term used to describe procrastinators.
type of word formation: zero derivation 'slow' (not very fast) + 'bie' (N)
dictionary entry: slowbie, n. A person with slow reaction time and or procrastinator, especially in computer games ('stop being a slowbie, you newbie!') [new zero derivation; arising from 'slow' + 'bie']

I have never heard dream in a wishful way. I think the singer or author made up the phrase. But I would guess it to mean, dream of something you want...dream big...dream your fantasies.I dream in a wishful way that I could get my webpage working without the frustration of having to figure all this out.

Those lyrics are by "Tian Yuan", There is a lot of lyrics with his name on the internet, and that song is on multiple web sites:

Google "Tian Yuan" I think the author uses English as a second language. That may explain the "artistic" wording. :blink:

Nils