xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Forsaken

Current And Upcoming Gas Prices Also discussion on my views of Iraq

Alright, I am 17 years old. From 8am to 3:15 pm I go to school. Right after school I work until 8-9 pm depending on the days. I make more than minimum wage. My truck gets about 25 miles per gallon.

Now you know a bit about me, The current gas prices in my are are close to $2.30 a gallon. This is due to some circumstances in IRAQ, I have heard on Fox News that gas may reach up to 6 dollars a gallon in the next year or so. Driving to work and school cost me about 40 dollars a week. That is about 1/3 my paycheck, Now, I know that were liberating IRAQ, and all but I believe myself that George Bush messed up, I know many of you will argue with me and tell me how stupid I am, But you must admit he could have done things different that would have ended up with a more positive outcome. I supported Bush at the beginning of this war, and during his campaign. When he won his 2nd term, I supported him, but I was leaning toward the other party.

I believe that George Bush jumped into this war, everyone must admit that it was a quick solution to the aftermath of 9/11. Isn't it odd how before Iraq you heard stuff about Afghanistan on the news almost daily, but since the war began, NOTHING. I know we have troops there, but if we concentrated the manpower we have in IRAQ, towards finding Osama Bin Laden the person we hold responsible (AND KNOW HE IS RESPONSIBLE) for the attacks on the World Trade Centers in New York on 9/11 we would most likely have found him by now. I recall hearing something a while back about us (United States) not having substancial evidence that IRAQ (saddam) even had weapons of mass destruction.

Also, a couple of George Bushes cabinet members, particuraly Colin Powel has mentioned since the war has begun that we did not find propable cause to believe Iraq had weapons of mass destruction....

I will quote him below

"We had a good discussion, the Foreign Minister and I and the President and I, had a good discussion about the nature of the sanctions -- the fact that the sanctions exist -- not for the purpose of hurting the Iraqi people, but for the purpose of keeping in check Saddam Hussein's ambitions toward developing weapons of mass destruction. We should constantly be reviewing our policies, constantly be looking at those sanctions to make sure that they are directed toward that purpose. That purpose is every bit as important now as it was ten years ago when we began it. And frankly they have worked. He has not developed any significant capability with respect to weapons of mass destruction. He is unable to project conventional power against his neighbors. So in effect, our policies have strengthened the security of the neighbors of Iraq..."

Got to looking around and even found a video you guys may be interested in.
http://www.thememoryhole.org/

There you will clearly hear and see Powell admitting there were no weapons in iraq that we needed to be threatened by.
When George Bush won his second term as president of the United States Colin Powel resigned from his position in cabinet, maybe he too is tired of the situation our president has put us in.

It is clear that George Bush was probably under a lot of stress about the entire 9/11 situation, and they werent finding Osama Bin Laden, so he pointed his finger somewhere else, and has gotten us into a real pickle. Our gas prices will never go back down, the men who have died over there will never live again. We are BILLIONS of dollars in debt, yet we continue to spend, the unemployment rate is high, We have created many of enemies and lost the trust of lots of countries since this has happened, we are one of the most hated countries in the world, I have talked to many people from outside of the US on instant messangers and such, majority of them do not have good views on Bushes position on Iraq, They dont like him , seems like most of the world doesnt.

I often wonder what would have happened if Al Gore had won the presidency back in 2000, would we be in the position we are still in, and Would the thousands of injured and killed men, women, and children have died in Iraq (Our soldiers, Innocent bystanders, ect.)

Those are a few of my opinions please feel free to let me know about yours, but please dont try to degrade me for having different beliefs.

Alright, for starters. I wanted Al Gore to win. So there is no contrary belief here on that subj. from everything that you just stated above. I completely agree with you down to the last word.However, I believe that with or without the war, the gas prices would've been jacked, due to the fact that Gore did not win, we now have a majority Republican congress, as well as a Republican president.This makes for Taxes, and money problems.Even though I believe that the war is a majority part of the gas price increase, I do not believe that it is the only thing causing it. Personal opinion: I am glad that Bush is serving his second and final term as our president...Perhaps when the new Prez is elected he will be sufficient enough to get us out of this dilemma.

it takes an energy crisis like this one to change peoples minds about the environment and thier habits. Over the last 10 or so years, how many people have bought SUV's? The bigger the better. It was so cool to have a bling bling escalade...Reasons for high oil prices is not just instability in Iraq oil supplies, but because people have used more in general. Back in the 70's when the last oil crisis happened, it was the same thing. People used to drive around in their huge, heavy, V8 6L cars. the oil crisis came, and japanese cars took over the market. They were smaller and more fuel efficient with engines under 2L.The same thing is happening now. Smaller cars (which have long been in europe) are showing up in the US. Also, hybrid cars are making a strong showing because of the fuel prices.Supply and demand. It's really that simple. Supply is being pressured (Iraq), and demand is at an all time high. Fundamental economics tells us that fuel prices should be high.

Some people say that George W Bush entered the war just to get oil...Well thats a bunch of bull and gas prices wouldn't be so high if the liberals and whale loves would let us drill our own oil but nope we can't because we might kill one...So now if gas prices to get this much i'll be riding a bike everywhere I go......

I have the same views as Forsaken, it is just rediculus that gas prices are just skyroketing, and i really do think that it is Bush's fault in the most part, i mean we did not have to go to Iraq we really didnt if you think about it, it was poinless, we have only lost soldiers and killed many Iraqis, the US is really one of the most Hated countries of the World, i can say that because i was not born in the US, pretty much all Europe hates the US, Mexoico cant say they dont like them, but really they dont, but they are neighboors, so they have not much choice, plus america is one of their biggeswt trading partners, a but really Most Countries Hate America, i mean why trust the US if they can just completely destroy one country whenever they want to, and the US has shown that you cant really trust the government.I just hope prices dont go WAY UP. because all that money is pretty much used to support the war. and we dont even need to be there!!

Gas prices are crazy.. I'm about to do what they do in Chine.. Ride a bicycle. I don't have the money to keep filling up my tank. Especially because I drive a truck as well and it takes up so much gas I drive my Acura more then ever now. I think the war in Iraq was ludacris and the worst thing is the war is over and our soldiers are dying more than ever. I say we should take that as a sign to leave them alone and worry about our own country.

Right on man. I like your views they are well thought out in my view. I can't degrade you that much man. I actually don't mind the war at all. I will admit I don't have much of a conscience and I don't believe that anyone has the right to *BLEEP* until they have tried to rule a body of people and do everything that is neccesary to keep that country afloat.

What is gallon? Since I live in Norway, I only know liter. today it is 10 kroner per liter, (around 2 dollar), but for some years ago it was 5 kroner! (under one dollar)I have heard that USA have a very low price on gas per liter, so don't be sad, there is other countries that have much more higher price on gas.However, I think Bush does not suit as a president, he is more a comedian than a politician if you ask me. But I can see his plans, he has taken over Iraq, Afganisthan, Turkey and Pakisthan is our allies, and look wich country that lays between these lands; IRAN!

A gallon's a little under 4 liters right? Well last I heard gasoline prices overseas make even US prices seem affordable; in Great Britain, for example, the average price of gallon of gas was $5.79/gallon last week. In Holland, gas went for 1.25 ($1.53) euros per liter. Prices in Belgium, France, and Italy were a bit lower, but still over $5/gallon.And here in the U.S. we average around 2 dollars. But this doesn't take into effect that the geography of the US is such that we have to drive to get most places. Our population centers are so sprawled out that subways and the bus systems' resources are taxed to the extreme to get people everywhere they want to go. Add to that the fact that we have nothing in the way of advanced train system (we use ancient technology) and the entire world is in equally bad shape.Sure drilling in ANWR would give us 2 years more (in the US, only 6 months internationally) but in exchange for a few cents saved and a few more months with fossil fuels (we're due to run out at the rate we're going in 2050) we would destroy a beautiful natural place.Personally, I think if we started pulling out of our international military ventures (which is kind of hard to do) and put that hundred billion dollars into alternate sources of energy, we could have a viable alternative in 5-10 years. Either that or we cover 100 square miles of nevada with solar cells, which would account for most of the energy we use also.It all comes down to the mentalities of the parties. To solve the problem the Democrats want to stretch what they've got and improve how they use it (which raises prices and then hopefully levels them out). The Republicans want to get more resources to solve the problem (the problem being prices will dip and then rise as we run out).I dunno, but I think civilian Hummers should really be outlawed.

Gas prices are ridiculous now days. I remember last year at this time i was only paying $1.60 per gallon for gas. now its almost up to $2.40 per gallon. I hate it becuase my vehicle uses alot of gas in a week. so half of my paycheck goes for gasoline. the other half is for other bills. But it seems like OPEC would make more barrels per day. Im just gald it's not winter here anymore and i dont have to let the vehicle sit and run for it to warm up and it shouldnt use so much gas anymore.

Even though the US got such low gas prices (compared to europe), if the cost of gas keeps rising for few more months it will encourage even more the invasion of another middle east country. Of course the administration will say this is to liberate their people and protect our freedom, but will the american people buy their lies again?

Right on man. I like your views they are well thought out in my view. I can't degrade you that much man. I actually don't mind the war at all. I will admit I don't have much of a conscience and I don't believe that anyone has the right to *BLEEP* until they have tried to rule a body of people and do everything that is neccesary to keep that country afloat.

71344[/snapback]

Well, true, But WAR is a big deal, its not something you just jump into......

Even though the US got such low gas prices (compared to europe), if the cost of gas keeps rising for few more months it will encourage even more the invasion of another middle east country. Of course the administration will say this is to liberate their people and protect our freedom, but will the american people buy their lies again?

129018[/snapback]

I completely disagree........

Wow, I wonder how gas prices in Japan would compare to those of the U.S. Last time I walked by the local COSMOS (one of several gas station chains in Japan), the price was about 116 yen per litre (regular unleaded).

Well, true, But WAR is a big deal, its not something you just jump into......

I completely disagree........

129513[/snapback]

That is your opinion. To me, where I grew up, war happened on the streets every day.