Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Edition
Microsoft Windows 2000 Datacenter Server
Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 3.5
Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 3.51
Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 4.0 Developer Edition
Microsoft Windows NT Server 3.5
Microsoft Windows NT Server 3.51
Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0 Standard Edition

Today I'm going to tell how to use the ms-dos/command prompt command net send.

Net send is a command used to message between computers on a network, and you can actually make computers function in different ways.

To send a net message to go command prompt - Start>run>cmd

Now to use net send you must type in "net send" and then the username you wish to send to, and then your message.

So say my brother's computer username was "Tj", and I wanted to tell him to go to sleep.
I would type into command prompt

net send Tj Go to sleep.

Now say my brother didn't get off the computer, I would turn it off for him by using
net send Tj You have 30 seconds to say goodbye to your friends -t30

The -t30 function says that the user has 30 seconds before the computer shuts down, and you could probably set that to a higher amount, or type 0 to have it automatically turn off.

Now say you have a huge family-30 computers being used on your network, and you want to tell them to all get off.
You would type
net send * Get off the computer, dinner time
What the asterik does is it acts as a wildcard to send it to your whole domain, so your reply from command prompt would be "Message successfully sent to domain (your domain)."

Well everybody, that's all I could dig up from my knowledge, if you have any other commands feel free to put them in this topic, thanks for readon everyone!

:) my school netword is rubbish, no protection agains this sort of stuff, Will try on monday :P
net send * 30 till self distruct -t30

150+ computers lol

test it on my bro 1st.. lol

Err..... -t30 doesnt shutdown their computer :PEntering in "shutdown -i" will do it though :)Also it is possibly to find out who sent the netsend message, just look at who it came from. It will display their computer name. If yours is anything like my schools it will be something like "WHS2038C911" which wont make much sence but most schools write the computer name on it. So check it out and bust ur mate for doing it!Also there are many other useful commands such as the ping command (can shutdown someones computer) and ftp etc. etc.Google a few sites on cmd commands and you should be able to find all the info you need :D

That's cool, I think it would be easier for me to just go over there and press the off button or pull the plug, but htat wouldn't be in any way beneficial to the PC, it would be bad..... So..... I guess I might try it.....

Amazing. Cheer mate i will try this at school on monday as my school computers arent protected agains these net send messages. Do you know anymore?

Amazing. Cheers mate lol will try these at school on monday :( DO i have to save the files as .bat to send them? Cheers, Karl

It doesn't work in my network, probably some sort of security against this here... Good in a way, now I realize that my network isn't that bad afterall!

I do know that if you goto Ctrl Panel (Ctrl-Alt-Delete) and click on the Users tab, you can see who is logged on and switched users on your computer. If you click Send Message at the bottom, that's how you would send a message to someone who will log back on in a minute. Also, how do you net send to yourself? Just curious =PEDIT: Also, I just figured something out! Go me! Okay, well, type in Net Help for all the commands you would ever need in this area!

Edited by AskAndrewD (see edit history)

Nice one thanks a lot for this. Would this work on Windows XP if you modified something, or not? Also is there an equivalent in linux by any chance? I have some computers in my house running the latest Ubuntu. This is a pretty cool feature. xD

my school

Net Send

So all of the computers at my school are networked with novell and I tried to us this to talk to my friend but it said the message alias could not be found on the network

can sombody tell me what I'm doing wrong I typed in net send francist.2010

-question by matt