xisto Community
M6NEN

A disk drive magically appeared.

Hi,

Earlier today I was putting some ISO stuff onto a USB stick.

All of a sudden I saw a DVD Drive called "G:" in my system, while my normal setup was supposed to be C:, ? and E: (Oops, D colon turned into a smiley).

After some trouble and tribulations I all of a sudden noticed the following as in the attached picture: the culprit was a mapped network drive 192.168.XXX.XXX, part of the network, which already exists as "Linkstation".

I have no idea how it got there, or how it took on the role of DVD/Virtual drive, but what I do know is that UltraISO stubbornly keeps seeing it as DVD drive and I cannot mount anything to my USB stick with it.

I have already been looking in the settings and properties, but not found anything that could remove it, or stop it giving it a DVD/Virtual drive function or drive letter.

I also have no idea what the letters "CDFS" are doing there.

The best one is, my NAS drive with that IP address is not even switched on.

Has anyone got any idea how I could fix that?

Thank you in advance.

diskerror.PNG

Edited by M6NEN (see edit history)

Even more weird now:

After the laptop has been swithched off during the night, the "phantom" G;\ drive is still there, but now it shows up as a DVD/CD drive, no longer as a Network drive.

I don't know whether that has anything to do with the fact that I switched my NAS on last night or the fact that the laptop has been off for several hours, or both, but, even if the fact that the drive being there has no harmful consequences (I don't know), it annoys me incredibly.

I'll add another picture to show what it looks like now.

By the way, I forgot to mention, the laptop in question is running Windows 10 Home 64-bit and my normal DVD drive is a USB one as my laptop came without one.

If anyone knows more about a situation like this, or even better, knows a solution, I'd be very glad to hear it.

Thank you in advance.

diskerror2.PNG

OK, it's probably an iso file which has been accidentally mounted by windows10. You can right-click on the g: CD drive and choose "dismount", should be dismounted and not be seen until next mount.

1 hour ago, yordan said:

OK, it's probably an iso file which has been accidentally mounted by windows10. You can right-click on the g: CD drive and choose "dismount", should be dismounted and not be seen until next mount.

Yes, I assume that is what happened.

The strange thing is, there is no "Unmount" possibility anywhere, and when I try "Eject" I am told "An error occurred while trying to eject drive G:\".

Very odd indeed.

Anyway, thank you for your suggestion.

Kind regards.

I guess that it has something to do with the share. Probably a bad click when the question was first asked "What should I do with shared folder", an iso mounted and then cannot be correctly unmounted because the iso isn't available any more.

Yes, yordan,

that is all possible.

I don't really remember how it happened, just as I seem to recall I noticed that extra drive when it was already too late.

It is, at this moment, still treated as a CD drive (letter G:), but it has a blank icon.

The funny thing is: when I double-click it it says "Please insert a disk into drive G:", so the machine effectively seems to think there is a physical drive there.

But, then again, why did I not think about this sooner????

I just uninstalled UltraISO, and....GONE IS THE BEAST!

I will just stick to using Rufus from now on for handling ISOs.

It is a small and free program which works flawless ly.

Anyway, PHEW!!!!!

Glad I solved that one.

Glad to know that the problem disappeared wne uninstaling UltraISO.

And, yes, Rufus is great for that kind of work. 7zip also does part of the job.

However, remember that Windows10 will mount any iso if you happen to double-click on it. However, if this occurs, you will only have to cope with eventual Windows bugs! :)

1 minute ago, yordan said:

Glad to know that the problem disappeared wne uninstaling UltraISO.

And, yes, Rufus is great for that kind of work. 7zip also does part of the job.

However, remember that Windows10 will mount any iso if you happen to double-click on it. However, if this occurs, you will only have to cope with eventual Windows bugs! :)

Yes, I could kick myself for not thinking of that before. :ph34r:

But I am glad it is solved before I ended up in a padded cell wearing a straitjacket. :D

Yes, I know Windows10 will mount an ISO, but, I never use that feature, because, in the second sentence, tell me something I don't know.  :)

I especially don't use it for the reason you mention, and I don't want to end up with my ISO leaving me with corrupted files (or rather Windows10 corrupting the files that are in the ISO).

Anyway, culprit sentenced and punished now, and another lesson learned.

It looks like a post by a very sweet and caring bloke has magically disappeared. ?‍♂️

Maybe a bug in the forum. :D

Unfair?

I thought it was quite funny.

I had all the right answers ready.

Such a shame. :D

6 minutes ago, M6NEN said:

Such a shame. :D

Not really a shame.

Simply, I did not want the grammar police to intrusively come and comment the fact that some posts are not a technical answer to a very technical topic concerning a real irruption of a virtual drive seen as a physical inaccessible device.

Oh well,

what would have been the difference?

Me in the funny farm (loony bin) and you in jail?

(Me taken away by the men in white coats and you arrested by the Grammar Police).

We could have kept up with some form of written correspondence then.

And maybe we could have exchanged recipes for a cake or baguette with a file in it, so, I don't really see the problem.

?

4 minutes ago, M6NEN said:

what would have been the difference?

No, simply there is a penalty in the MyCents system when a topic is removed from the forum due to spamming behavior. People experience negative cents in their final balance.

Oh dear,

that's the last thing I would want.

Even worse that the padded cell and the straitjacket.

T least you get three meals a day there, not getting your income taken away, and no free, non-working CD drives.