xisto Community
sheepdog

Home Improvments Here

For quite some time now I have wanted a new stove and refrigerator. Our stove caught fire awhile back, and burned off all the temperature control knobs, so it was impossible to know what settings you were putting it on, and you had to turn what was left of the knob with a pair of needle nose pliers , and then the burners kept breaking, I was down to 2 small burners. My refrigerator was in just about as bad shape, so old the finish on the door was worn off and starting to rust, and so was the bottom of it under the crisper tray, and it was going crazy on the temperature settings, it would freeze everything solid on the top shelf in the back, and one day I found all my vegetables in the crisper tray frozen! Nothing worse than frozen lettuce! Not much good after that. And besides, I am sick and tired of constantly fighting with ice cube trays, make enough ice to keep up with our cold drinks is a big pain in the rear. I kept hoping I would get enough ahead to get new ones. So...what happens? My washing machine shoots craps! Out of the clear blue sky, no warning or anything. I was really upset. And since I refuse to go to the laundry mat, I would put my clothes in the bathtub and stomp on them before I went the laundry mat, the only other option was to buy a new washer. So I feared my visions of having a new stove and refrigerator were down the tubes. But things have actually been going pretty good as far as sales go, so when Lowe's had an appliance sale with 30% off, and my hubby also gets a 10% military discount, he convinced me to go in and look, and we were able to get both a stove and refrigerator about as cheap as I could of gotten just the refrigerator before all the discounts, so this past Monday Lowe's delivered my new stove and fridge. They hooked them all up and they do have a haul off service, but I wanted the old frig to set up down in the kennel at least until it dies completely, it would be handy to have a place for the help to keep snacks and drinks and stuff and I can keep some of the ice cube trays I won't be needing so badly now that I finally have an automatic ice maker. So right now the old and new fridge are in my kitchen, and I can hardly walk around it. I still have a little stuff in the old one to transfer over to the new fridge. And then I need to give it a good cleaning before we move it, since it would be easier to clean up here. So now the house is in a total uproar, but hopefully soon everything will be taken care of. I just wish the wheels of progress didn't move so slowly around here.

Ok, now you are a lucky man with a new fridge and a new stove.

However, what about the washing machine? Are you still stomping on your clothes in the bathtub?

No, I replaced the washer right away. Just blew all my money on it, didn't think I'd ever get my new stove/fridge. Probably a smart move, I've washed lots of clothes already, but we've had the stove hooked up since Monday and so far all I've done with it is hard boil a potful of eggs. I should of put the roosters I butchered today on to boil tonight, but I was just too tired to mess with them, and since we still have 2 refrigerators in the kitchen I had room to put them in the fridge till tomorrow. But that will give the new stove a good workout, they were old roosters and will have to cook a couple days to be edible.

Oh, they were quite tasty! Almost surprised me, they ended up tender as any I've ever cooked down. Have 2 more to do in, then I will have an empty chicken pen. But hopefully it won't be empty for too long, I have a bunch of eggs in the incubator.

Not as long as I have rabbits, chickens and goats! I just hatched out another batch of baby chicks in the incubator. Didn't do all that well though. Out of 6 dozen eggs only got about 20 chicks. My own hens had slowed down on laying, so I had to buy some eggs to put in it. You can only hold eggs for about a week if you want to incubate them. With a 100 egg size incubator my own 5-6 eggs a day wouldn't cut it. I still didn't have it full but didn't want to wait any longer. I suppose I should of been more patient. Oh well, maybe things will be better next year. My rabbits are doing pretty well right now, so I'm just as happy eating rabbit anyway. And I have some old hens that need to go in the soup pot this year anyway. I keep hoping we can make it to the sale barn to pick up a weaned age calf. We had pretty good pasture so far this year, and really could of used one. Of course, things are starting to dry up now.