xisto Community
HoboOnDrugs

Question About Memory......

Ok. I am using a Toshiba laptop with a Pentium 3.33 with HT and a 93 gig HDD and 512 Mb of memory....I would like to upgrade the memory. Would it be better if I were to get another 512 or a 1 gig? How do I figure out how many pins I need? And if i get another 512 should I get the exact same model that I already have? Thank you for your time and i look forward to reading your replies.

if i were you, try on getting the 1 gig already, it doubles the speed of your 512 mem if you add another mem. for the pins i'm not sure with it, sorry dude.. :) hope this could help.

What I would personally do is get another 512 Ram and then get an external 1 gig for memory just because it would allow your laptop to still work as fast and not overburn it with the added internal memory.

Hi Hobo,Some computer brands "prefer" matched memory cards from the same manufacturer(IE. ALL CARD THE SAME SIZE ..EG. ALL CARDS 128mb ETC) .. others don't care. Check with Toshiba to see if it matters.. it probably won't. It shouldn't matter how you match the sizes... because all newer computers (P 1 and above) don't care if you mix n' match different memory sizes.Just put the largest size memory card into the slot that your computer accesses first (see the users manual) as this usually gives you the best memory performance on some brands.Hope this helpsRGPHNX

Don't forget to check the maximum memory that your motherboard can support. In general, the new processors use 168(I think)-pin DIMMs, but there are different speeds and categories, so you'll need to check with Toshiba. Especially with laptops; they sometimes use different types from vendor to vendor. I would expect that it probably uses RAMBUS ram, but it could also use DDR SDRAM.

external memory? yeah right...I would see if the store can take back the 256 modules you have and give a discount on 2x512 modules. You can use a program called CPU-Z to identify what memory your system is currently using. As for the pins, it is probably a 200pin SO-DIMM. but depending on how old it is, it could be a 144pin SO-DIMM. The 200s are used for DDR and the 144s are used for SDR laptop memory, although I think there is now DDR2 memory as well. You'll need to check with the manufacturer to confirm.

I have 2x256 Mb, should I take them both out and put in a 1 gig or leave one in with it?

69189[/snapback]

u ve had 2*256Mb,if u want to change them to 1gig.u have to remove the 2*256.and buy 2*512Mb.so the old 256Mb is wasted.

I heard the news that someone have compared between 2*256 and 2*512 to see that how speed 1gig faster then 512?

the result is theirs distance is so close.

I suggest u have no need to do that!!

Dude, memory wont make your machine faster then it is now. Listen, look at your memory when your doing normal internet stuff. If it's below 30% then your fine. But when your gaming and it lags, then get as much as you need or can afford.A common misconception. MEMORY, AKA RANDOM ACCESS MEMORY, DOES NOT MAKE YOUR PC FASTER IF YOUR PC IS CURRENTLY USING LITTLE MEMORY WHEN BROWSING. ONLY GET MORE MEMORY FOR HIGH STRESS THINGS LIKE BIG GAMES OR HOSTING SERVERS. DONT GET IT IF YOUR MACHINE RUNS FINE BUT LAGS JUST A BIT. IF YOU WANT TO IMPROVE YOUR ACTUAL SPEED, THEN FOR CRYING OUT LOUD, GET A BETTER PROCESSOR.Im just pissed off how people think " Oh My machine runs fine with 500mn ram, so 1 gig more will make it so much faster"Bull ****

a reply to the last post....my processor is a pentium 4 3.33 gig with HT tech., thats definately not the problem guy, i'm not computer illiterate. and yes...i play loads of online games, so YES i need more memory. also, i'm ALWAYS multi-tasking, example: playing a game while playing music....so again, yes i need more memory. one more question and i only need a yes or no answer....would a single 1 gig memory stick (maybe along with one of the 256Mb's i already have) run faster then 2 512Mb's? i already found out what type of memory i need and how many pins and all that. my laptop is more like a desktop though, i dont have battery power saving parts such as a intel centrino processor....i dont see why you would want that? all it is, is a slower processor....why would you just buy a slower older processor for cheaper? but whatever, that has nothing to do with my question, maybe i'll make a new post about that later.....thank you all for your responses though, youve been greatly helpful.

no.

ignore below if you only want yes or no answer

dual ram always run faster than single ram esp you got nvdia chipset in your motherboard. however the system detect the slower ram speed, therefore ALL new ram cards will run with your old ram's speed if u add your old ram card into the pc.

go to a website like memoryx or memoryguide. there you pick the exact model and make of your laptop, and it tells you the specific memory your computer uses, what its maximum is, etc.i traded in my 2x256 chips for 2x512. i would have gone for 2 GB but my laptop only supports 1. but i got a steep discount on them by trading in the old ones---basically 50% off. of course that could be because in turkey the secondhand laptop business is in high demand, so old parts are worth more comparatively.it helped alot on cutting down the overall heat and usage of the processor, when video editing, graphics, or playing games. half the time it would automatically shut down from overheating. since upgrading, it's only done it once, after i spent the whole day working in Premiere.

Hey dude...getting a RAM is not as easy as buying an apple from a superstore..Every motherboard has specifications and compatibilities with different RAM.Since you are on a notebook, the RAM you are getting have to be of different model, size, power, and other specifications as compared to the RAM used in a desktop.Selecting 512MB or 1GB is just the frontline.Many people didn't realise this, so when they happily bought their new 1GB RAMs home and install and come back to the forums whining that their computers don't boot up, etc..These happen because they didn't check their compatibility with their motherboards.This is a very important step for you especially you are getting for a notebook instead.I'm sure you know RAMs, there are different types...And you won't wanna waste your money buying the wrong RAMs and crashing your computer.. :lol: