xisto Community
ritu

Are Tests Prescribed By Doctors Genuine?

I am not a doctor nor a medical genius, but a question which was probably lying dormant somewhere has sprung up after a recent series of incidents.It all had started eight years ago, when my father was struggling with Diabetes, it was not of the usual kind. I see a lot of people leading normal lives with diabetes but that wasn't the case with my father. We had to get his tests for Diabetes, Blood Pressure and various other things, half of which were so complicated I don't even remember. Obviously they were all what the endocrinologist wanted to have us done. Just a few days before my father passed away, we had all the tests done and as a matter of relief, everything was close to normal. Then where did it all went wrong, he had a severe cardiac arrest and he left us all. The report of the doctor said it was due to rise in blood pressure, though he was pretty happy as it was the day of a festival, also there was an increase in the level of blood sugar. Now, after having al those tests done, can anyone tell me why none of the tests showed any signs of such a collapse. I still wonder about who to blame exactly.Now, the recent case, my aunt (maternal uncle's wife) has been in the hospital for the last ten days. She had some problem standing or walking erect, so was taken to the doctor who advised her to undergo a surgery as early as possible. They took the advice and got her admitted. It took them eleven odd tests to decide when the surgery could be done and finally zeroed down to a date three days later. Surprisingly, on the scheduled date they opted for the same tests which came out with some changes and the surgery was postponed for another couple of days. If they had to repeat the tests on the day of surgery and then decide then why did they get it done earlier. After the surgery, her condition deteriorated,she couldn't have even liquids, was almost starving as her spinal chord was operated upon through her neck and it pained a lot after that. Two days back, she lost her eyesight, one of our relatives,who is a doctor himself said that it might be due to lack of Potassium, the doctor who was in charge then realised that he had missed out something, prescribed for Potassium and Calcium tests. Surprisingly, again, the tests were all normal, ( they told us she had excellent levels of both the elements), also her Haemoglobin level was as good as it could never be. On the other hand, my aunt was starting to lose even her memory, she couldn't see speak, eat or drink,recognise people and what was worse that developed some respiratory disorders also.So, you can well imagine the authenticity of the tests.This way even I could try to cure her without involving the effort and money required for those tests which hardly yield any real help. She is still there fighting for her life and proving once more how futile these tests are. I am sure that many of you must have gone through similar situations. Do share your story by posting.